OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need some suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC sportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some suggestions
    Posted: March/15/2007 at 20:39

Hello all,

First let me say I'm a new member here but Ive been reading for quite some time.  Your thoughts have influenced my decision on several previous scope purchases.  That being said:

I never even considered carrying binos with me when I went hunting until a few years ago.  Thats when I won a pair of leupold wind river 8X42s from a door prize drawing at the local hardware store.  Man what a difference they make,  I never knew what I was missing.  Now, I carry them with me every time I go hunting.   (They will also be going with me to the upcoming Darlington race  )  I like the leupolds fine but I want better performance at dawn and dusk.  We get 1hr before and 1hr after official sunset.  I'm looking for something around $500-$700.  I will be using them only for hunting and probably only out to 200yds (300yds every now and then).  I have been looking at the steiner 8X56 nighthunters at SWFA pretty hard but haven't been able to get my hands on a pair to check them out.  I would appreciate any input on the nighthunters or other suggestions.

Thanks alot.

birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 07:16

SC Sportsman, hello from North Carolina.  I was down your way the first of February at the NC Shooting Dog Championship at Cheraw, SC.  Anyways, if your looking for something from $500-$700 range I have several for you to check out.  You really need to look at each of these closely and try them out before you buy as different binoculars will feel differently in your hands and the egronomics will fit each person differently.  Below are my suggestions.  I too am currently in the marked for a high dollar pair of binoculars to last the next 20-25 years.

1.) Pentax 8x43 SP around $500 on SWFA  great binoculars and very good glass

2.) Kahles 8x42 these were made by Swarovski and I think SWFA still has some on the sample list.  I had a pair of these and I wished I had them back. $550 on the samplelist here

3.) Meotpa a little more expensive then you want to spend but they are worth the extra dollar being eurpoean glass and very bright, crisp and clear view.  They are giving the big 3 eurpoean glasses a run for their money.

4.) Cabelas has the same binocular as the Meotpa made by Meotpa just under the Cabela's name and its $100 cheaper then the Meotpa. 

5.) Sample list has some good deals on Swarovski 7x42 SLC for $900. These are very good glass and great under low light conditions.  Anything happens to the Swarvoski will fix them as long as you don't run over them with a truck.  Swarovski has the best customer service in the business.  I am looking at these for myself.

6.) Check out the Bushnell Elite's they are awsome glass and you can get them in the $800 range new in the box.

7.) I almost forgot to mention these but the Leupold Pinaceles they are also great glass for the $$ and are about $450-$500 range.

I would check out the sample list closely as they add binoculars to it every day and you can get some great buys there like new binoculars for alot less $$.  Let us know what you decide to buy its always nice to see what everyone likes.  Good luck in your search.  bird_hunter66

Birdhunter
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 07:34

Howdy - i too am a South Carolinian. Welcome to the OT.

i highly recommend fujinon polaris 7x50's - they are WICKED bright and sharp. don't get the ones w/ the compass unless you are a captain ;)

under 600 bucks. 7x50 FMTR-SX

we compared them to my buddy's swarovski 7x50's (1200 bucks) and they outperformed them.  He agreed.

i have been hunting the dusks and dawns of SC hardwood bottoms for years w/ mine and couldn't be happier.

the 7x is plenty and offers a large exit pupil.........7.14mm - about as much as your eye can digest.

and the 7x50 is a stable image for lots of lowlight scanning. AND they are autofocus. that helps more than you know.

they aren't 'compact' but i find them comfy in my hands and around my shoulder straps.

good luck and happy hunting.

J

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 07:38

SC -

I would second Birdhunter's recommendation about trying out a lot of pairs.  Make sure you get something that is comfortable to you.

Regarding which, here is what I would tell you:

1 - Considering your 200-300 yard distance requirement, you may want to check out the Leupold 6 x 32 Katmai's.  They are very, very nice for about $300-$350.  The one caveat here is the 32mm may not be enough for your dawn/dusk requirements, given you are fortunate enough to have 1 hour pre-sunrise and post-sunset!! I am strongly considering purchase of a pair of these for myself.

2 - Similar to Birdhunter, I would also recommend the Kahles, Bushnell Elites and Swarovski SLCs.  Kahles is really good, the only problem I had with them is they have a relatively narrow FOV for the power.

3 - I also think you could get a fine pair of Nikon's in that price range that you would be very happy with.  The one potential downside is they aren't known for the best in customer service like Swarovski or Leica.

Best of luck to you...I just bought a new pair of binos myself earlier this year.  Enjoy the process!

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 17:25
SC,

Vortex Razor 8x42 or 8.5x50 roof prism

Minox BD 7x42 BR aspheric roof prism

Pentax 8x43 DCF SP roof prism

I also like the Fujinon 7x50, either the FMTR-SX or the FMT-SX, however, some find it a bit on the heavy side.
Check out the below link:
https://secure15.prohosting.com/~a0028094/fujinon_7x50_fmtsx .htm

Edited by Bird Watcher
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 09:10

There is a pair of Leica 7x42 Trinovid BA on the sample list right now and this is an excellent glass for hunting. Large exit pupil and very forgiving when glassing for extended periods.

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mf g_selection=6&prod_type=2&hide_sold=false

A bit over your upper limit, but well worth it.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 21:43

My suggestions would be a combination of Birdhunters and Birdwatchers....

In that price range the Pentax SPs, Minox HGs, Meopta Meostars (some places have them in the $600-$700 range), Vortex Razors and possibly some demo Swaro SLC or Leica Trinovids if you can find them.

Frank
SC sportsman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC sportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 07:36

Thanks for the suggestions.  I guess I should probably find a store that carries all these brands so that I can look through each and then make a decision. 

Thanks again

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic