OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for my 7mm-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for my 7mm-08
    Posted: March/21/2007 at 20:43

Just purchased a Tikka T3 Lite 7mm-08 with a composite stock and stainless barrel. I can't wait to take it to the range, but I need a scope.

The rifle will be used for low light deer huntng in eastern North Carolina with shots from 80 yards out to 200 yards.

Seriously looking at the Meostar 7x 56 #4 reticle or Kahles KX 3.5 x 10 x 50 4A reticle

I am very familiar with Kahles scopes, but not the Meopta.

Any suggestions on which will be a better low light scope and is the Meopta a reliable scope?

Will the 56 be too bulky and make the rifle feel awkward?

I noticed there are no Meopta scopes on the sample list.

ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 21:59
i hunted out that way i would be be leaning toward a varible .some times you just gonna need a lower power because of the thicker stuff.on meostar reliable part,i think only time will tell, its just not been out ther long enough.i have seen these a few times now and really like them alot.  in my opinion the 56mm might be little much thou but bigger is suposingly better. i would just get the khales kx in a 42 or 50mm and be done.

Edited by ronnie
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 07:27

hi there -

IMO you need at least a 50mm if you are hunting the same hours we do in SC.

that is ... if you want to take advantage of all the legal time w/out coming out of the woods.

i have tried top of the line 40mm's and they simply don't cut it for dark lowlight shots @ 100 yards.

it gets dark (DARK) 30 minutes before time's up.  i have a tikka T3 7mm08 w/ a 7x56 meostar #4 - i love it.

if you are gonna have NO shots under 80 yards - it would be a great choice.  pleasant to hold and carry.

if you have close-in shot options - the kahles would be a better choice (lower magnification).

both the kahles and the meostar have similar optical qualities. you can't go wrong w/ either.

there are some old schoolers and westerners around here that don't like big bells on scopes.

(NOTHING wrong w/ that)

to each his own....

you simply have to have them in SC where i hunt to get the most out of your legal hours.

i.e. making an ethical decision between that '8' pointer you are looking at.......

and finding out it's really a '6' pointer......because of the larger exit pupil at same magnifications let's more light through.

the 56mm has saved me from shooting button bucks as does. 

good luck and happy hunting.  That's my 2 cents.

you have bought a fine rifle, my friend.

Welcome to the OT.

J

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 16:53
I have the Tikka Hunter in a 25-06 and it presently sports a Mueller 3x9 40mm sport dot.  I too live in NC.  The laws, at least in the county I hunt, Wilson, do not allow hunting after sundown or before sunup.  I know we all go past this limit, at our own risk.  But, a good quality 40 to 44 will always suffice in NC.  I have plenty of rifles and the ones with the big objectives, I have always regreted using.  In fact, I have a 50mm Bushnell Legend I was going to mount on it, but I am not sure.  The Tikka T3 is the quintessential "mountain" rifle and I have to agree with rms, I mean, asphunter, putting a monster scope on a rifle like that will ruin the balance and feel.  Now you are thinking, what does a guy know, who has a Mueller on his Tikka and is thinking about switching it with a Bushnell Legend.  Well, I know plenty, have plenty of "good" scopes, but as everyone knows on this site, I never buy Euro.  Take a look through either one of these scope and while they are not the best, they are not bad.  I bought a few Muellers to check them out and have been impressed for the cost.  Hate they are made in China, except for their best scope, made in Japan.  I ended up with two Bushnell Legend 3x9 50mm scopes before Christmas, as I was giving one to my future son in law and when I ordered the scope it came back as back ordered when it was suppose to be in stock, so I ordered another from a different place and guess what, the other was shipped, before I could cancel the order.  Hence, I own the scope now.  I would personally go with a Bushnell Elite 4200 or Sightron 3x9 42mm, which is in my opinion, equal to the scopes you are looking at.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 16:56

Low light performance vs. objective diameter all depends on the upper magnification used.  For instance, if you mount a 1.5-6X scope on your rifle, you don't need larger than a 42mm objective, as you will have a min. exit pupil of 7mm, which is about the maximum the human eye can use.  Beyond that point, you will not notice a difference in relative brightness with a larger objective.  In other words, a 50mm and larger objective diameter will only be useful if the magnification used exceeds 7X, and then, only barely.  Optical quality (lenses, coatings, and optical design) is more important than the diameter of the objective bell for good twilight performance.  So, if you have a high quality scope in, say 3.5-10X42 config., you will have all the low light performance with the scope set at 6X as a good 56mm scope does at 7X, but the former will be much more compact, lighter, and often less expensive than the latter.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Narrow Gap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narrow Gap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 17:04
Rifle Dude explained it perfectly!!! Well said Rifle Dude!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 17:08

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44.  Crystal clear right up to dark - no problems in low light.

low power for 80-yard shots, higher for long-range.

objective adjustment on the side, where it should be.

Love the Zeiss, dropped the $$, never looked back.

And dump the Tikka rings for Warnes or other (if you go with Warne, get high rings for a 50mm.)

one shot, one kill.  Tikka makes a damn fine rifle for the money.

Eventually, I'll stop posting this picture.  It'll be in about 2 weeks when I go kill a few more of this hog's freinds and relatives.

Till then, ain't she pretty!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 17:47

Great looking rifle, RC.

She's a beauty!!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 17:52

jonbravado:

Those Tikka's are typically great shooters!!

Good pics!! Thanks!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 18:26

RC, I too enjoy the fine gentlemen's sport of hog hunting in the off-season.

Nice rifle, bud!

Edited by RifleDude - August/29/2008 at 21:47
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 19:00
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Low light performance vs. objective diameter all depends on the upper magnification used.  For instance, if you mount a 1.5-6X scope on your rifle, you don't need larger than a 42mm objective, as you will have a min. exit pupil of 7mm, which is about the maximum the human eye can use.  Beyond that point, you will not notice a difference in relative brightness with a larger objective.  In other words, a 50mm and larger objective diameter will only be useful if the magnification used exceeds 7X, and then, only barely.  Optical quality (lenses, coatings, and optical design) is more important than the diameter of the objective bell for good twilight performance.  So, if you have a high quality scope in, say 3.5-10X42 config., you will have all the low light performance with the scope set at 6X as a good 56mm scope does at 7X, but the former will be much more compact, lighter, and often less expensive than the latter.

Well said.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 07:36

yes, well said, RD.

My big scope arguments have always been based around quality glass. zeiss, kahles, monarchs, meostars.........

quality IS the biggest factor.....i agree.   It doesn't matter how big the bell is if you have 'mud' lenses.

nice guns AND pigs, boys.

keep up the fine posts.

J

stubewan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2007 at 00:24

I have been hunting with a 7-08 for about 6 years now. I hunt in Union County, NC and in Lancaster County, SC. I also hunt and live in Georgia. My shots have been as long as 257 yards, confirmed, and as short and 30 yards. I have a Nikon Monarch 6 x 42. This scope is awesome, I have never felt under powered. It is as bright as my Khales 3.5 x 10 x50, as it should be, because there is not as many pieces of glass for the light to be transmitted through. The shot that was 257 yards was made at o'dark thirty over a soybean field. I was able to pick out the deer easliy, which is also great because it was pretty close to the same color as the dried out soybean plants. I hunt thick swamps, power right of ways, and food plots. The size of this scope keeps the rifle lean and very mean. Check out the accuracy for three shots at 100 yards the day I set the scope up. This rifle is a custom REM 700 BDL.

Stubewan
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2007 at 11:52

The Tikka is an excellent choice.I have an older M695 in 30.06 and it prints excellent groups.Tikka also has the broadest range of calibers for us lefties.

IMO if you hunt dense woods the same as here in South Alabama, go with a 50 mm or larger. Tikka is a European rifle and the lines flow much more beautifully with a large objective european scope than an american designed rifle.( o.k. guys, don't get mad at me, I'm not in any way bashing any particular brand. IMO european firearms just look better with european optics.) But in any case, dense woods get dark much quicker than open terrain, and you will appreciate the extra performance when "old RoHo" comes out.I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. Also if you don't like the large objective , it will be easy to get rid of to get something more to your liking.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2007 at 09:21

+1 on the fixed power monarchs. i just put a 4x40 on my 30/30 and am very pleased w/ the performance.

my ONLY complaint is that it doesn't come in a #4 reticle. But i can't complain a whole lot.

good stuff.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic