OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barrel going on 30-06??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 13:28

8shots,

Dale is absolutely correct about the difference between paper accuracy and real world field accuracy resulting from "tolerance stackup" of all the sources of error.  Obviously, we'd all like for our rifles to be as accurate as possible so there's greater margin for error in the field, but the reality is with a big game rifle, 1 MOA or better accuracy isn't really required under normal field conditions.  We shooters often tend to get so obsessed with meeting some arbitrary level of accuracy on paper that we forget the rifle is seldom the limiting factor in making accurate field shots.  Best of luck to you in diagnosing the problem and keep us posted on what you discover.   Every rifle has its own personality.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 14:38

somewhat confused here-- your 6-9 shots in the photo are still around an inch and good to go, you still worried about lthe first 5?

the best copper chelating agent (copper cleaner) is strong ammonia soln. which runs about 30% sometimes called ammonia TS (test strength). be very careful with blued guns as if spilled on the outside the will no longer be blue. current foams are either dimethylamine or diethylamine where the hydrogens are replaced by methyl or ethyl groups which increase the ph of the compound. I haven't found any that work well on carbon, and because the patches come out very blue, the shooter thinks the bore is clean. the very best cleaners are compounds that have 2 unshared pair of electrons to "absorb" the carbonyl groups formed by the oxidation products of combustion. Any ether, such as synthetic motor oils are the best but must be diluted out, after suspending the carbon. flurocarbons propellants work well but strip the pores of all lubricant. Personally I replace the strip with a cleaning of light penetrating oil and nitromethane, a fuel used on model airplanes (and one of the ingrediants of the old Hoppes 9 formula). most of the time just skip the "striping" using carburetor cleaner.

8-- you might try, since your barrel is "broken in" moly coated bullets, or even better boron nitride.

edited for spelling

Edited by Dale Clifford
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 16:40

Thanks Dale,

Yes, this thread started all because of those first five shots. My "normal" experience used to be one or two fouling shots and then she was good to go. Given the next string, the barrel still  seems good. But is it starting to go, or have I over cleaned it? Sorry to sound like a stuck record.

For now:

I will try only removing carbon and powder residue and do a lighter cleaning with Shooters Choice  for excessive copper.

I will not remove all traces of copper through the use of heavy copper solvents .

I will clean in this manner after every shoot (usually 20 rounds) for the next 200 rounds and see how this barrel behaves.

(Sounds like the three commandments)

Hey this is Africa, we still shoot with those round lead ball thingeys, we would not know what to do with those fancy bullets wearing coats and jackets and things!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic