OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Buying 1st Range Finder

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What is the best range finder for up to 500yrds money not and issue.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [73.33%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
2 [13.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying 1st Range Finder
    Posted: April/02/2007 at 10:26
Hello guys, I am currently looking to purchase my 1st range finder and I would love to hear your opinions of what I should be looking at to purchase.  I live in North Carolina and I will be hunting creek bottems, fields, cutovers and larger fields.  Shots will be at 500 yards of less and I will be hunting for deer, turkey, varmits.  The price aside what works best, is most reliable and what would you recommend?  Used from the sample list or a new range finder would work well for me.  I am just looking for something to last me for several years.  Thanks bird_hunter66
Birdhunter
Michael N View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2007 at 11:24
I have used the Leica 800 and 1200 as well as whatever the name of the new Leupolds and a couple Nikons . This was sort of an informal test since a bunch of us were at the range and all had our LRF's . We had 2 of the Leupolds that were brand new out of the box and I had my 2 Leica's (800 and 1200 Rangemaster scan) and I am not sure of the models of the Nikons but they were a little bit older models . I thought my Leica 1200 was the best of the bunch until my Buddy brought out his new Swarovski . Standing with no support I ranged a wooden fence post at just over 900 yards . We went and verified it using a GPS later . We also had a guy drive his Suburban out to the fence post stopping along the way to let us range find him . The Leupold couldnt range it broadside at 635 yards while the Nikon's , Leica's and Swarovski had no problem . The glass on the Swarovski is also some of the best and since you will probably be using it as a Monocular as well as a rangefinder that could be important when trying to find that Big Buck in the woods . If money is no object the Swarovski lives up to its reputation as best of the bunch in my book .
"Those who hammer their guns into plows
will plow for those who do not."
- Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic