OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Where to start ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 21:04
those one caliber load books are just photo copies out of another manual, and most of the information is outdated, as far as new powders on the market and new bullets as well. stuffing 80grains of anything in a 300 is to crazy for my blood
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 14:26

I loaded 80 rounds with 74.5gr of  H4831SC.I used nosler BT 180's

My groups at 100 yards were all quarter size. I would shoot groups of 4 and look and then my brother with the same gun would shoot and all shots were the same grouping.

So it was a good day of testing and shooting.

Nikon 5.5-16.5x44 works great good glass nice view and very clear. And if you need to hit someone with it.It dose a nice job on a nose ask my brother he did it not once but twice.

The eye relief for me was greater than for him.

Now for the 2,3 and 400 yard test

Will tell you how it goes and post pic’s

Thanks

Big

Edited by Bigdaddy0381
RetiredPOL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredPOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 21:23
I would buy the reloaders bible and follow the ballistics chart for powder load and all the particular technical data so you don't blow yourself up! You might want to buy a reloader too since you did not mention that you have one....and dies help a lot.....
The probability of your being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2007 at 11:31

Retired,

The reloading equipment I use is lee pace setter dies with a factory crimp die. Rock chucker single stage press. I have a lee single stage press for depriming. I use a Lyman gauge for all measuring and rcbs scales and a Lyman tumbler.

I also use a hornaday and a nosler reloading guide and info off the net.

The test load for me now is

75g H4831sc sierra game kings  180's    60each

75g H4831sc  Nosler bt 180's   60each

75g H4831sc  Hornaday sst  180  60 each

I also have a friend that dose reloading for a living so i ask him things from time to time.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/index1.htm 

So i'm still new and learning as i go.But I think I have a good start so far.But i'm always wanting to learn more ...

Edited by Bigdaddy0381
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2007 at 21:11
why do you load so many of one weight?? i load five shells of say 70gr of 4831 and then go say 73gr of 4831 and then go 75gr of 4831 then work from there.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 07:15

Pyro,

I load 60 of each so I can shoot at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards and in-between to see how everything in the spectrum will work out. I wouldn't ever take a shot over 200 yards at any game but I still like to shoot at good yardage. To see if this bullet drops 1/2 inches lower than another. I guess you can say I have got anal with everything I want to try. Plus me being new I need the practice and it helps with that also.

This is the 3rd time I have loaded I started with 74 then 74.5 and I could tell a difference.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 09:58

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

why do you load so many of one weight?? i load five shells of say 70gr of 4831 and then go say 73gr of 4831 and then go 75gr of 4831 then work from there.

One very valid reason for doing that is if you keep all other aspects of the load -- powder charge, primer, seating depth, etc. -- the same, using different bullet styles of the same weight, you're isolating bullet design as the only variable and will get a better idea of which bullet style shoots best in your rifle at a given max OAL.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 21:51
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

One very valid reason for doing that is if you keep all other aspects of the load -- powder charge, primer, seating depth, etc. -- the same, using different bullet styles of the same weight, you're isolating bullet design as the only variable and will get a better idea of which bullet style shoots best in your rifle at a given max OAL.

so instead of a one time accuracy test your looking for a load that is very consistant over time??

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 06:33

Well not over time but over a range of different ranges and consistency.

I even go to the extreme to weight all components before hand and then after to see if it all adds up to the same weight. I have  http://www.acculab.com/home/  (vic-303) scales. I know this isn’t necessary but if something is off I want to know why.

I also have found that nothing in the components weight the same. Rem Brass weighs more than federal.

The most consistent lead I have found is sierra game kings. Powder is what you weight out. 

I do this for (my) information only and because I can’t sleep most of the time…..

Edited by Bigdaddy0381
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 10:14

so instead of a one time accuracy test your looking for a load that is very consistant over time??

Basically, if you want to find the most accurate combination of load components for any rifle, you should isolate and test only 1 variable at a time.  When you find the most accurate bullet, then experiment to find the most accurate powder charge.  Then experiment with different seating depths, and so on.  This way, you ensure you're using the best combination of load data to produce the most accurate loads for your rifle possible.  If you test 5 different loads, all with different powders, primers, bullets, and OAL and 1 of them produces the best accuracy, then you don't know which variable or combination of variables were responsible for the improvement.  It takes longer, but if you change only 1 thing at a time, you know without a doubt that the different results you get on paper are totally related to the change in that one component.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic