OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Demos, Displays and Trade-Ins > Samplelist.com
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Factory Refurbished = Trust ??????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heitmann13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory Refurbished = Trust ??????
    Posted: April/14/2007 at 23:19
FR-Factory Refurbished

Are FR's scopes a product a hunter can trust, or are they going to have problems?  I was just curious.

Could someone please fill me in a little more about what all goes on in a FR scope.

I was looking at the Zeiss 3-9x50mm or the 3-9x40mm. And would the lifetime warrany transfer to the buyer of a FR scope?

Looking for any advice i can get, thaks for the help!!

Edited by Heitmann13
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 19:38
I just purchased one of the Zeiss 6.5 - 20 X 50 4 weeks ago from the Sample list. I put it on a Rem 700 VFL .223. The Zeiss was very crisp and clear with the sighting adjustments being very precise. After sighting in and firing 14 rounds the lenses and a short tube inside the scope came loose and are rattling loose inside the scope. On this rifle there is very little recoil ,the rifle is always transported in a hard case and has not seen abuse. It is clear that some step was missed in the remanufacturing process. This is the second Zeiss scope I have purchased from the sample list. The first scope is still working, but it has had very little use but a lot more than this one. I will post some more after I get a reply from Zeiss about their warranty.

Edited by 3_tens
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 23:19

Update on Zeiss

My was delivered to zeiss on 9/6 per UPS Tracking. 22 days and no response at all from Zeiss. I had purchased ths scope especially for Antlope and PD hunt in SD next week. I guess the PDs will get a break. I tried to save a little and it will cost me a lot. Lesson learned!

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 00:10

Update on Zeiss

It is now thanksgiving and no Zeiss scope. I was told around the first week of October that the scope had been sent to the factory. Good news is that I had a very successful Antelope hunt in SD filling both of my tags. The prairie dogs were abundant too. I put my old Burris FFII 4.5X14 B-plex back on the Rem. 700 .223. Field sighted with the Leupold Magnetic bore sighter and was not missing any shots out to 400 yds. I don't really understand how the sighter works but it is great.Thank you SWFA for the sighter as a gift with the purchase of a leupold scope. Hopefully Zeiss can get my scope back to me by the start of spring PD shooting. With the b-plex matching my.223 55 gr loads so well I am not so sure if I can do much better with the target knobs on the Zeiss.

Edited by 3_tens

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 18:05
I'm terribly sorry to hear that. My Conquest was replaced in less than 2 weeks.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 12:28
I was wondering the same thing I am looking at a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44  and a Kahles 4x12x52 Helia CL from the sample list. Wondering if it really is a bargain? Help Cheaptrick What you think?
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 14:10
I wouldn't have any reservations with buying either one of these scopes off the SL, Brother.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 22:30
Well thats good enough for me now to decide...............
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2007 at 17:50
Great day is here. December 19 and My Scope arrived today.  IT will probably after Christmas before I can check the work.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2007 at 18:01
Medic
I would go with either . I am a fan of the side focus and would prefer the CL if you go with the Kahles. I like the target knobs that Zeiss has, and My eyes can not see that much better in one or the other. But I have only used the Kahles American hunter and not the CL the CL should be a better scope than the AH.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2007 at 18:05
Back to Cheaptrick
I have been down without electric. We were down for 11 daysfrom the Ice storm in OK.
 I guess I sent mine back at a bad time of the year with it at the start of Deer season.

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2007 at 18:20
3 tens, I just sent a conquest in that I have used and enjoyed for some time. The scope appeared to be developing some parallax issues. They tell me its been sent from Va to New York to the factory and it will be about 2 months before repairs are done. Disappointed it will take so long but at least it is the dead time now and about the time the snow melts I will be ready to test it out.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2007 at 18:58
I got my scope from the sample list as a factory refurbished scope and it disasembled after less than a box of shells. The center guts came loose and just rattled around inside the scope. I am hoping they do a better job this time.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 14:51
any update?
take em!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 19:26
I haven't been able to get to the range yet. I have the scope mounted and sighted with the leupold magnetic sighting tool. I can't belive how well it works. It is very repeatable with the center after switching scopes between rifles. I did order another rifle last week It is a Rock River Varmint. It may be 6-10 weeks to decide if I like twisting Knobs or the speed of a Balistic Plex. I hate such decisions. I should be ready with both by the middle of march for a trip to the Panhandle.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 20:08

Shot with the Zeiss 6.5-20X50. It has a lot of wiggle in the rear. When I adjust the eyepiece it will change the impact group 1" or so one way or the other. 4 shots almost touching then adjust then 3 shots go into another group. Did this 4 times. I do not have this play on my 3x9 Zeiss. I guess the 6.5-20  will need to go back to the repair center for the 3rd time. When I get it back I may just trade it in or sell it. I do not think I could ever trust it on a hunt. I have never dealt with Zeiss for repairs before this, but I am not impressed with their work on this scope.        Grenade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 20:21
I'm very sorry for your trouble, my friend. Please give us an update on your progress with Zeiss CS.
I sent a Conquest back and got it replaced very quickly. hope the same is true for you.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 00:22
Oh I hate to hear about that 3-tens. I hope all works out right and right quickly as well.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 17:39
Oh well win some lose some. I like the grenade It feels appropriate.  Grenade        Yippee

Do I trust the samplelist Yes I just received a Kahles 3-10X50 CL  WOW!!! WHAT A SCOPE.YippeeYippee   WOW!!! WHAT A SCOPE.  Big%20SmileBig%20GrinBanditoWOW 

Edited by 3_tens - March/05/2008 at 22:31

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2008 at 09:57

Final update on the Zeiss. Third trip back to Zeiss appears to be a success. After getting the scope back the third time. they may have it correct this time. It arrived May 14. I Was flooded out of the range until July. I have had the rifle an scope back to the range 2 times. after a very long deliberation on whether to dump the scope on someone else on ebay. It has had 60 rounds down range on 2 trips to the range since the final rebuild at Zeiss and is working finally to my satisfaction tracking well and not disassembling its self. I have lost a lot of respect for the CS repair center of Zeiss. The scope had been certified my them when I first purchased it, and It was sent back 3 times before they could get it correct. This scope may never gain my full trust after a year spent on the road back and forth to North Carolina.The history this scope before is unknown but it has surely been in the shop enough this year. It took 3 months twice and 2 months the last trip in. I have spent an additional $53 in shipping.

Final analyst is the Sample list is a good place to save if the product has a full warranty. You do stand the higher risk for finding the lemon scopes that have slipped into the market. Be aware of this risk and realize the risk. Even what is touted to be one of the better CS departments may not always be enough to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Edited by 3_tens - September/06/2008 at 10:02

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic