OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Monarch vs. Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarch vs. Conquest
    Posted: April/20/2007 at 07:43
I want to buy my brother a scope for his Remington 700 in 30-06 cal. I was thinking about the Zeiss Conquest (3-9x40) because of all the great things said about it. I also see a lot of people recommend the Nikon Monarch(3-9x40) for the great price SWFA has on them right now. My question is this. Is the Conquest that much brighter and clearer than the monarch that it is worth the extra $200.00? He only hunts whitetail deer and rarely shoots over 150 yrds. Clarity and resoloution and brightness do matter and although Im sure the CONQUEST is the better of the two, is it $200 better for the average whitetail hunter? Also, are the plex crosshairs in the two scopes about the same or does one have heavier crosshairs than the other? I tend to like heavier ones on the outside to use in low light.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 08:24

Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope

Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope

Send this page to a friend
Specifications
Weight (oz): 15

Zeiss #4

Length (in): 13.15
Eye Relief (in): 4
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 34 - 11
Exit Pupil (mm): 13.3 - 4.4

< style="MARGIN: 0px" =/addtocart.asp method=get> < id=number = value=5214609904 name=number>
Order Here
Stock # Price Quantity  
5214609904 $449.95 < id=qty size=3 value=1 name=qty>

Back to Zeiss Conquest Rifle Scopes

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 08:28

the above scope will give you what you need - the #4 reticle is awesome in the lowlight.

there is NOTHING wrong w/ the monarch, except the reticle choices.  it's a great scope.

J

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 08:30
It's a preference question, and I prefer the Zeiss.  In my opinion, having owned both, the Zeiss is well worth the extra few hundred.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 08:56
Ok, is the Zeiss #20 z-plex a heavier plex reticle than a standard plex on say a nikon or bushnell. I looked through one once a long time ago at Bass Pro and seem to remember it having very thick outer lines. The #4 reticle looks ok but I am used to the full plex.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 09:02

I concur with Jonny and Rancid, the Conquest is your choice between those two.

The generous fixed 4" eye relief and slight optical supremecy of the Conquest make it a better scope overall.

WOW!! What a cool sibling you are, Sir!!

All my sisters do is hit me up for money!! 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 20:18
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

IWOW!! What a cool sibling you are, Sir!!

Man, no kidding!  Is there some sort of pill you can slip into a drink that will magically make your siblings think like you do?!!!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 20:34
dude im your long lost brother and my bday is may 01!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
gooshnt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gooshnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2007 at 13:30

2 good choices  with reasoning for either one.  The conquest is slightly better optically-most noticeble is the clarity under low light conditions.  BUT as you mentioned is it really $175 better??  IF the guy is just using it on a deer hunt once a year I would definitely opt for the Monarch which is IMHO the better value.  

I just  checked mine and the zeiss does indeed have thicker outside lines on its reticle

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2007 at 13:43
Thanks, I think the thicker outer lines will help in low light and when hunting in the thicker wooded areas. I Know a lot of people also recommend the Elite 4200 but many have said it is very close to the Monarch in performance. My only other concern is if the Monarchs on closeout prices are the same quality as those that were made in Japan. I heard that they are now made in China.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2007 at 13:47

I'm an avid hunter. I prefer Alaskan game but will slum with  hogs, deer, whatever; and if I hunted only once a year and the $175 could potentially be the difference between a hit and a miss, it'd be money well spent.

If you flat cannot afford a Conquest, a Monarch is better than nothing.  If, however, you could scrounge up the extra $175.00 (since you only use it once a year, you have a year to save) and go for the Zeiss, you'd know you got better gear and, with it, a higher probability of a hit on  a trophy buck during the times they move around most.

At least that's what I tell myself, as i scrounge for an S&B PM3.

Or just buy it on credit; simply sign your name and they GIVE stuff to you, at least that's what my wife thinks.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Bear250b View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear250b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2007 at 14:01

AMEN brother, I see you think the same as I do.  Just dont let the wife here you talking like that, because if mine here's we should just keep putting it on credit I'm dommed

Slacker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic