OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

nikko stirling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nikko stirling
    Posted: April/20/2007 at 19:54
What are they and what's your opinion?
TruckDiver View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruckDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 07:32

I think they're a British made brand.

The only one I have experience with is the one mounted on my SKS.

It's a 4X32 compact scope, seems solid and has held zero well,

but the crosshairs are kinda thick. 

Otherwise, it's a pretty well made piece.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 08:46

Here is some information found here through the search function

http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=407&KW=nikko

http://www.nikkostirling.com/

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 08:55

The current Nikko Stirling is an economy scope made in China, though I believe they were once made in Japan.  They are frequently seen as part of a package deal on the Legacy Sports Howa 1500 rifle.  A buddy of mine bought this package for his son.  The scope is exactly what you'd expect for its price -- it works and is serviceable, but its optics won't exactly dazzle you.

EDITED TO ADD:  But the rifle is nice!  Nothing wrong with a Howa rifle.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 09:19

I tried doing some searching on this. I may be wrong but it seemed as though their better stuff from Japan was competitive with Light Optical Works: http://www.city.suwa.nagano.jp/kigyou/suwashi/lightkoki/engl ish.htm, who makes the Bushnell Elites.

The Nikko Stirling of present looks to be more of a marketing company.

Edited by tahqua
Murphy.177 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 13:04
They are rubbish overpriced cheaply made crap.
They make some called the night eaters and they are about $400 and they are just awful.
I had a gold crown from about 1990 when like somebody has said above they where made in Japan.
That was superb but the reticle broke and it was uneconomical to repair.
They did go bust for a while and remerged with all scopes made in China they have never been the same.

Master Debater
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 18:17
Actually, the brand covers the entire spectrum, just as many scope manufactures try to do.  I own several of their scopes.  Their lower line of scopes were made in China and their top grade scopes were made in Japan.  I own both.  There is a difference, with the Japanese models, obviously out performing the Chinese made models.  However, the Chinese made models are no slouches.  They have been sold for years in Australia and New Zealand, enjoying an excellent reputation.  The appear well made, with good optics.  Some I have questioned as to whether the POI changed with change in the magnification, but it was a windy day and I could not be sure.  Now, these comments are in reference to the old model scopes.  The newer model scopes, as listed on the www.legacysports.com webstie, I cannot comment about.  The price I paid for the scopes were usually less than 100 dollars and well worth the money. 
12bravo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12bravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2007 at 11:26
Has anybody used or worked with 10-50 x 60 model?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic