OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 6-24X50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 6-24X50
    Posted: April/24/2007 at 20:18

I received it today and I like it so far - though it ain't mounted and no rounds have gone downrange.

With the understanding of the magic exil pupil numbers of 4 and 7, the scope has utility at lowest power and in near darkness.  Likewise, the scope is entirely useful and at its best at 12X in daylight.  It is still acceptible at 24X but not great.

The construction is solid, the knobs have a tactile and audible click.  The parallex turret moves well, not too tight, not too loose, and well marked with range rather than hashes or artitrary numbers or symbols.

It ain't Nightforce glass, not even Zeiss, but it beats much of what I've looked through. I'd say, if the internals work as well as other 4200s have,  I'll be pleased with the purchase to say the least.

It is what it claims to be, and I do like it. Worth every cent, maybe even more.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 22:18
Got mine today and mounted it and took her shooting. Very very impressed with it. I am on a very limited budget and am glad I spent $600 for new rings and this scope.
bein View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 06:47
Anyone have pictures of this scope mounted on a rifle ??

Thanks
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 09:25

I don't see it as an issue of budget so much as value.  I could spend significantly more on a scope, but why; again, if this scope gives me 95% the performance of a $1,500 scope - yet for less than half the price - I see that as a good deal (with the understanding that 5% of the time, I will have equipment that isn't optimal.)  Since the gun it is going on is a range gun/100-yard deer gun, I really don't need to worry about whether I can take shots at dawn/dusk at 24X.  If I need to take a long-range shot in low light, I take a different gun.

I see no need to buy more scope than gun or more scope than needed.  Would I take an S&B Precision Hunter for the price of this scope: yes; would I take one for the $1,500, nope - not because I cannot afford it but because its utility doesn't match its price - not for me, at least.  And not on this particular gun.

As soon as my Warne rings arrive, I'll snap a few and post them.  Till then, I'm stuck sighting in on my idiot neightbor (scope only, no gun - don't point guns at people till you are ready to shoot them.)

Optics, like firearms, definitely have a pride-in-ownership component, but don't mistake nice gun/nice scope for shooting skill or utility. Circumstances should dictate the gear.  I recently bought a Tikka T3 stainless and put an ugly-ass brake on it.  I could'a bought a Sako hunter for 3x the price; however, in a few months, this rifle will be strapped on the wing of a single-engine airplane and flown to the northwestern-most edge of Alaska.  It is a gun that will be subjected to extremes of environment, conditions, weather.  And, in case you didn't know, guns with presentation-grade walnut with hand-checkering and hand-etched recivers don't do particualrly well in snow and water and 2 hours rubbing agaisnt a wing and a few straps.

Utility is the key; not what you spend, but what you need.  There is a time and a place for an AI .338 with S&B PM3, but I didn't buy this scope for that palce or that time.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 09:58
Good info, Rancid!  What kind of hunt are you going on in Alaska?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 11:50

Caribou and wolf (the wolf tag is free: the little bastards are everywhere, screwing up the whole affair.)

Should be fun.  The 300WM will reach out and touch but is still bearable in a 7-pound gun (with brake.)  Fear not, there will be pictures!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 13:37
Good deal!  I look forward to pics and a good hunting story!  Good luck, have fun, and be safe!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 15:28

I have a couple pictures i took yesterday when i got home.....

I can take more of whatever angle or whatever anyone wants. just let me know.

sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 19:39
Sweet Rifle...if you go thru Anchorage....be sure to stop by Humpy's for smoked salmon and sourdough and the Moose's Tooth for pizza and homebrew

Edited by sandsock
bein View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 07:13
Could you take a picture through the lense ?, so we can see how the milldot looks ?

Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 11:27

Originally posted by bein bein wrote:

Could you take a picture through the lense ?, so we can see how the milldot looks ?

Thanks

From Sniper Central:

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9263

(There's some pics of the Mil Dot in there.)

PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 23:09

Those pictures were really quite awesome.  Must be a pretty nice camera.

Thanks for the indulgence.

Michael N View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2007 at 11:14
Is this scope actually 16.9 inches long like it lists ? or is that including the 3 inch sunshade ?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows
will plow for those who do not."
- Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2007 at 09:25

With sunshade it is 16.9.

And whatever the specs say for weight, that's true too, it's a heavy piece of gear.

gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2007 at 17:15

heres one on 12x. Sorry its hard to get a really good picture to show how good the glass is.

Hope this will do

Edited by gconnoyer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 10:18

You hunt trees?  Take out that branch at 7 o'clock?

Put an Iranian revolutionary guard in the cross-hairs, then I'll comment on the reticle. 

With this, I see trees!

Looks good though, for $600, and for trees.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 17:34

I finally had the chance to put a few rounds through the damned thing (rings almost never came in) and I gotta say, for the price, I like it.

Decent glass (at anything in daylight under 18X), good controls, seems to track well.

Took a bore sight-in and 3 shots to get dead bull - then shot 2 more to make certain it was what I thought it was.  Moved the crosshairs out to their limit, then went back to zero and fired another round, dead bull.

The real test will be later, but at least it warrants a "real test."

It's a great deal on a good scope.  A Nightforce it is not (nor IOR, I'm guessing), but at half the price - at least - it will serve my purposes well.  If my life depended on this scope, I might be a little reluctant; since it does not and probably will not, I give it high marks.

gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 11:52

I shot this group yesterday at 400yards with Blackhills 168gr Moly-BTHP. Not too bad but could be better, maybe I just need a little more practice.........now the only thing i can complain about with this scope is the mirage on 24x. lol. I'm still really impressed with how clear and bright it is even on 24x

MikeTTF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2007 at 07:51

Very nice pics. I like the lettering on that scope, very precise and readable.

Hope my (ordered) 6.5 20X 50 Zeiss Conquest is that impressive looking. Seems to be a heck of a lot of scope for the money, I'll keep it in mind.

TBC

edit: The Sniper Central pics, I meant.

Edited by MikeTTF
gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2007 at 10:48

I thought I posted mine here on this forum somewhere.......guess not. Here they are now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic