OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 6-24X50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2007 at 15:02

Nice stick!!

dpopulator View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpopulator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2007 at 23:39

So far I have been fairly happy with mine and up to 16x, comparable to my vx3. I am a little disappointed in the sightly foggy view through the lens at 20-24x and I wish the marking on the tactical turrets would align with the zero marker better than they do - kind of splits in between 0 MOA and -1.4 or + 1.4 MOA. Overall, a decent scope and with a 100 m zero, I can dial my .308 175 SMK's into 700 m with my 20 MOA base, but not much further - the biggest flaw (significant flaw) is the lack of elevation MOA adjustment. It holds zero and guides my SMK's into one ragged hole at 100 m. I would consider it a "you get what you pay for" mid-range scope. Here is a pic of the scope and my stick.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 09:57

dpopular, welcome to The OT!!

Good looking rig.

Who's bolt knob is that?

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 11:06

I guess I should'a qualified my review of the Bushnell with this:  "If you can shoot well out to 700 yards, this isn't the scope for you."

I live in Houston and shoot at a certain 600-yard range here and am always alone in doing so.  I bought a Bushnell tactical for another gun that will never sees a 600 yard shot. 

This is purely a 500 yard or less scope.  Sure, it goes to 24X, but there are BSA's  that go past 24: power is a function of physics, not optical quality.

In my opinion, it's a good scope for the price - so long as you don't think at 24X it'll be as clear as a Zeiss at 10X.

And if you plan to shoot at 700 m targets, save up and buy a USO or Nightforce or S&B - you, like few others, will notice and appreciate the difference.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpopulator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 13:57

Cheaptrick...thanks...badger ordnance

RC: "This is purely a 500 yard or less scope". Sorry, I disagree...

My rifle range only goes out to 700 m (770 yards or so), so for this purpose the 4200 works fine. I have a 20 MOA TPS base and with a 100 m zero, can dial it right into 700 m on the nose, so I figure it'll do 800 yards. From there I can hold over with the mils out to 1000 yards I am sure. I know it'll do way more than 500 yards, it is just how you set it up (and how you shoot). Here's the pic from this morning ringing the 700 m 12 inch gong every time.

When I want to reach out further, I break out the 300 RUM/Leupy which starts where my .308/4200 ends. Here are some pics of that rig. Thats 700 m way back there.

Edited by dpopulator
gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 14:41

what size flip up caps did you get for your 4200?

I measured my scope with my digital caliper and got 40.6mm and 60.02mm

so 14EYE (40.8mm) and 44OBJ (59.9mm)? or should I go with 13EYE (39.9mm)

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpopulator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2007 at 18:05
Originally posted by gconnoyer gconnoyer wrote:

what size flip up caps did you get for your 4200?

I measured my scope with my digital caliper and got 40.6mm and 60.02mm

so 14EYE (40.8mm) and 44OBJ (59.9mm)? or should I go with 13EYE (39.9mm)

I tried various sizes on the scope in my local shop, and ended up with 45 OBJ and 13 EYE. Both fit just right.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2007 at 18:59

My only question would be, with a rig of that obvious purpose and dedication, why top it with this scope?

Mine sits on a Tikka T3 and does a good job on that wep.  I say 500 becaue it isn't on a 20MOA base and won't run out to 700 yards.  I shot it at 600 and wasn't entirely thrilled with the optics at that range.

it is a good scope.  If I had frequent access to 600+ yards of range, I might have a different opinion.  And if I didn't have a Nightforce and USO in the safe, I might say I like it out that far.

No question it is a good deal for the money.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 16:06

Ok I went shooting today and took some more pictures through the lens at 430 yards, and shot out to 550 (as far as I can reach).It went from about 80-85* today and the mirage on 24x was pretty bad. Those black things are supposed to be circles lol. The targets i used were 8" shoot'n'c targets. Not shoot 'n' c brand but the shots ignited. Clarity and brightness are better actually looking through the scope. a $350 nikon digital camera just doesnt cut it lol. I wish i could give my input and agree or disagree with it only being a 700 yard scope but It works for what I have access to

This pic is on 24x at 430 yards.

10x at 430

and a picture through the rangefinder....

This is a picture of my grandpa's house.......my range haha...at 300yards on 24x

Edited by gconnoyer
Centerfire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centerfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 00:00

I've been still holding out on buying this scope until I heard enough about it. My new 20 Tactical rifle has been sitting around 2 months now without a shot fired because I'm having trouble commiting to purchasing this scope!. The new Nikon Monarch is supposed to start selling this month too. It is also a 6-24X SF 30mm tube scope, but has 1/8 clicks. Somehow I doubt it will be any clearer. I also doubt that the mil-dot reticule will be as good as that of the one in the Bushnell. For sure the Nikon name will sound more impressive. LOL. But, I'm still trying to hold out and see what folks had to say about their new Nikon when they get around to using it . I guess I can wait another  6 to 8 weeks before that happens.

Though this 4200 doesn't seem to be a competition grade target scope, would you gentlemen that now have bought and used this Bushnell feel it would serve me very well for PD shooting? I doubt the shots would be over 500 yards, and I also prefer using hold over on my targets in the distance. I really don't care to go much over the price range of this scope or the new Nikon.

Think I ought to hold out just to confirm and be sure that the new Nikon isn't any better, before I buy this Bushnell?

gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 00:53

You can wait and see if your not in any hurry. I use this scope for coyote hunting down on the lower end and can pull it up to higher mag's for shooting paper.  No I agree probably not a competition grade scope or anything close to what an actually competitive shooter would use, or would want, but I still wouldnt hesitate to enter a competition with it on my gun. As you can see, still clear and crisp (minus the mirage lol) edge to edge on 24x, you do lose a little brightness but it would definately be good enough for prarie dogs at 500.

- If you are worried about adjustment range, well so far I have had plenty for my .308 out to 500. I have yet to make a full trip around the turrets with the distances I have been shooting. My scope is zeroed at 100 yards and I am close to the bottom of the adjustment range, although I still have about 5 or 6 MOA of down left. From my current "0"

The only time I have ever looked through a Nikon scope was at Cabelas, inside mind you, was at the older model 5.5-15x44 UCC. It was clear but they didnt, and last time i checked, still dont have the new 4200 there to compare it with.

Personally I like the 1/4 clicks, but if they are around the same price and the nikon is going to be more clear and track just as well I probably wouldnt be bothered by the 1/8 clicks all to much, just moving it twice as much, but with target turrets its not a big deal if you know where to move it.

Edited by gconnoyer
gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2007 at 00:17

Just thought I would let everyone know, for those of you who care lol, that tomorrow I'm going to go and sight in 2 rifles for a friend of mine, a 7mm mag and a .30-06

They both have 2 brand new, just bought yesterday, leupold scopes. I think they are VX-III's. One is a 4.5-15x50 model (i think) and the other is a 3-9x40 or 50.

I guess he just has money to throw around and trusted it with the "sales reps" at the cabelas counter. I think both scopes have the boone&crocket reticle (most likely recomended, I'm not really a big fan) but I'll test how those work and take some pictures, do some tracking tests, and just be able to compare them side by side with my 4200.

I'm really interested in seeing what rings/bases were suggested. haha.......you know how sales reps like to think they know everything lol

gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2007 at 16:06

Ok well I got the guns today with both scopes "mounted and boresighted". Both were crooked as can be, you could tell imediatley when just picking the guns up and looking at the scope on it. I havent taken them to the range yet but before I do I have a few comments...

They are the VX-L models. A 3.5-10x50 mounted on a Browning A-Bolt in 7mm WSM and a 4.5-14x50 mounted on a Winchester Model 70 .30-06, both with the Boone and Crocket reticles.

I was reading the books on them and for either scopes they have to be at a high/highest mag (depending on caliber) to use the drop on the reticle. 10x for the 7mm and I think 12x for the .30-06. So immediately anything close is going to be tough to get in the scope. The 7mm WSM has to be zeroed at 300 yards to use the drop and the .30-06 at 200.

I noticed the eye relief is really touchy and doesn't allow very much movement, even on the lower mags, without lettting 1/4 of the view to go black.

The glass is very clear and I do like how the cutout on the objective lets you mount it low.

Anyway just thought I would give that update until I get to the range.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2007 at 17:20

I have a Leupold VX-l 3.5-10x56 on a Browning A bolt 243 wssm It is clear, bright and the eye relief does not seem as touchy as on some of my other scopes. I am supprised it would be on that one. I have the fine reticle with the scope 0 for 200 yards and sometime 300 yards in western Ks or Neb. I have not had a problem at all with the scope that was not my fault and when it was Leupold took care of it immedatly at no charge so I did not loose a day on a pdog hunt. I know many complain about the price but mine was worth the money to me and I love the low mount.

Duce       I love long shots on Pdogs

Duce
gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2007 at 23:16

I dont have a problem with the eye relief on the 3.5-10 as much as the 4.5-1 but neither, so far, as far as eye relief is concerned are as good as my bushnell. although I do have the cheek piece and a 1 piece base so its hard to really say

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic