OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

lens caps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lens caps
    Posted: April/24/2007 at 22:32

How many use lens caps, and if so what kind?  What are the pros and cons?

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2007 at 22:40
hey there JackG, My personal preference is the rubber "bikini style" lens covers. I find that the plastic caps and even the plastic "flip open" caps cheapen the looks of a quality scope. Also, the rubber bikini cover can be easily removed and stored in your pocket once on stand or in your blind.                                   God Bless, RUGERBOY 77
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2007 at 23:15

I like the scopecoat as itäs protecting more than the lens.

It's also great when having one scope in the rucksack and one on the gun to protect the unused one for the rest of the stuff in the rucksack.

Regards Technika

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 03:35

Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

My personal preference is the rubber "bikini style" lens covers. I find that the plastic caps and even the plastic "flip open" caps cheapen the looks of a quality scope. Also, the rubber bikini cover can be easily removed and stored in your pocket once on stand or in your blind.

Really?!?!?

The ONLY "bikini cover"  that looks better than Butler Creek Flip Ups is something like this........

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 07:16

CT.  Assume the warden wasn't present when you posted!

p.s. use Butler creek flip-ups on the varmint rifle, no caps on my deer rifle when I'm dogging or on watch

Edited by Dogger
God save the Empire!
mlipski01 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlipski01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 07:23

I have Butler Creeks on all of my scopes and I think they look great. They keep the glass dry and clean which is nice while hunting, and also while cleaning my rifle. The few problems I do have with them is:

• They are a distraction when wearing a hat with a bill. The open front cap hits the bill when shouldering my rifle.
  • Every once in a while the red lever for opening the front cap hits me in the nose when firing my larger calibers.
  • Since the caps do take up a little space around the lens they ever so slightly create a smaller field of view.

If you keep your rifles in a cabinet the scopecoats are nice since they keep the scopes from banging around on the other rifles which can cause some minor dings and scratches on the wood, other scopes, or both.

As long as you know the pros and cons of each system you will not be dissapointed with either one.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 11:04
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

CT.  Assume the warden wasn't present when you posted!

Amen!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic