OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Iraq Optic Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iraq Optic Reviews
    Posted: May/03/2007 at 08:38
Ladies/Gentlemen,

I am approaching the end of my tour as a Designated Marksman with a U. S. Army LRS Company in Northwestern Iraq. I was also a USMC Scout Sniper during Desert Storm in 1990-1991. The last year has afforded me the chance to evaluate several different optics/weapon systems in combat as well as range sessions during down time on the sniper range here in Tall Afar at FOB Sykes. I have extensive experience with the following optics:ACOG TA31DOC,ACOG TA01NSN,EOTECH,M68 CCO(Aimpoint),PVS22 UNS,PVS14 NOD,PEQ2A,Insight Technologies CQB TWS,PAS13B TWS,Leupold Mark4 4.5-14 M1,Leupold Mark4 3.5-10 M3,Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40 Mildot,NVEC 6x Raptor,USMC 10X Unertl,AN/PVS4 Weapon Sight.I have used these optics on the M4, M21, M24, SSG, M82A1, and M107 weapon systems. I have learned a great deal about what works/what does not in the real world. I will gladly provide whatever assistance I can with information on these optics. I go several days at a time without internet access when on mission cycles, so please be patient with me.

Semper Fi
Chris Avery
Atlanta, Georgia USA
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 08:59

Welcome to OT, Chris!

We certainly welcome your observations, my friend, but more importantly, take care of yourself and your buddies, and know that despite what you hear in the press, there are many of us out here who support your mission.  I have the utmost respect and admiration for you and anyone who volunteers to serve our country.

Semper Fi!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 09:31

Keep up the good work and watch your ass!

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 11:18

Great to have you here Chris.  Take care of yourself & stay safe!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 12:48

Stay Safe.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 15:03

Your commentary is most welcome, my friend!!

Godspeed and stay safe.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 16:05

Chris, welcome.

Why the switch to the dark side?  An 8541 in my beloved Corps and now an Army DM?

During my time in the monkey suit, I always loved the Unertl - incredibly strong, incredibly dependable, great glass.

I would say, "Be safe", but that'd mean not being shot at - so be better than your opponenet who is trying to kill you.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Chris8541 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 21:39
Good Morning From Iraq!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I will hit all the questions here due to the fact that I type very slowly and am limited to 30 mins. on the MWR computer. I ended up in the Army Guard because the USMC told me I was too old to reenlist. I could not complete 20 years of service prior to reaching age 60 on reserve points. I then went shopping for a Guard unit that was headed for a combat zone with sniper billets in Georgia, where I was working at the time. (I still call Midlothian, Texas home!!!)The LRS Unit was by far the most squared away outfit I talked to so I took their PT test and technical interview and here I am. I subsequently got a waiver from the Commandant of the Marine Corps to reenlist in the USMCR but was already on orders to come to Iraq with LRS. I may look at the Recon BN unit in ATL when I get back-I was with 2nd and 3rd Force when I was in the Corps(primary MOS 0321). As for the 300 WM optic-We have had really bad luck over here with the Leupold M3 scopes on the M24 and M21. The tiny set screws on the turrets tend to slip during dope changes causing a loss of zero. This mandates that we fire a confirmation shot at the end of each range session to verify that the optic is back on its 100M zero. This is a good practice but is impractical and often impossible during a combat mission for obvious reasons. Also, the 1 MOA elevation graduations are way too coarse for fine work at long ranges. We also get 50 degree temp variations over here from early morning to afernoon so the turret range marks for our 7.62 175gr LR ammo become unusable. I have had a little better success with the M1 turrets on our Barretts but have had a few of those slip as well. I much prefer their 1/4 MOA graduations. I haven't seen a single 300WM or a 338 Lapua since I have been here, although I think either would work great in this environment and get me some precision out past where I can go with the M118LR. Ammunition would definitely be an issue. (We get fresh pineapple and kiwi flown in everyday from the Phillipines but can't get training ammo for what we have!!). I have no experience with USO or Nightforce, but they both seem to have excellent reputations. I think 22x is probably a waste of time-anything greater than about 10-12x turns the target into a shimmering blurr at our typical engagement ranges. I ordered a 300WM Rem 700 PSS a few months ago and intend to put a 10x42 Super Sniper on it when I get home. I would much prefer to have a Super Sniper on my M24. BTW, my M24 has the McCann 20MOA rail system and ARMS rings-great setup! I hope this helps. Can you post pics on here??-I have a bunch.

Semper Fidelis
Chris Avery
Atlanta, Georgia USA
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 08:31

Chris, you have my utmost respect, friend!  Shoot straight, and keep the insider info coming, as we don't get the real scoop on the news.  Yes, you can post pics using the "image upload" icon right above the message editing space (the icon with the mountain, sun, and up arrow, just right of the "modify font" icon).

Your observations of having too much magnification are dead-on, as I've seen the exact same effects of going beyond about 12X with regards to amplifying mirage.  Just another example of why more is not necessarily better.

I live in McKinney, TX and have lived in NE Texas for most of my life, so we're neighbors!

Take care and God speed!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 09:39

Chris,

Thanks so much for the update!  I'm very excited about your willingness to contribute to the forum.  All of us here are thankful for your service and hope that you will return safe & sound when your tour is complete.

If it is ok for you to answer, would you mind sharing your "typical" engagement range in the sandbox? 

Thanks!

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 11:27

Chris,

As a second generation Guardsman your brief flirt with those people with the funny name for hats is understood.  Hey it happens... Now ,just don't get in a hurry for a promotion

Btw what binoculars are they issueing you guys? How are they holding up?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 12:55
I would love to hear your impression of the EOTech vs. the Aimpoint.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 13:26

Stay Safe

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chris8541 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2007 at 10:07
Hello From Tall Afar!

I will try to hit all the questions above real quickly. Our "typical" engagement ranges are based on many factors, as you might imagine (terrain, weather, time of day, target type, weapon system, etc.), but have been running 300-800 meters in our AO. One of my buddies took out a bongo truck at 1700 meters with a M107 last week, so there are exceptions! I have a set of issued Fuji M24 binos. They are compact size with a mil-scale. They are pretty handy and very rugged with good glass. We use a Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope-very good piece of gear, although the tripod has worn completely out and requires a good wrapping with 100mph tape to stabilize it. By far the best optic we employ in the sniper business is our Viper bino/laser RF. I will really miss this thing in the civilian world! It interfaces with our PLGR and will give azimuth, distance, inclination angle, and 10-digit grid to targets 10 km away. I have NEVER lased anything inside 10,000 meters that it wouldn’t handle. It works with our PVS14s so it is night vision capable. It does use some wild batteries that are hard to find, but other than that, it is about as good as it gets. The Eotech vs. Aimpoint debate is a no-brainer-the Eotech wins hands-down. We have a Connex box full of Aimpoints, Eotechs, and ACOGs(TA31s and TA01s) and my M4 wears an Eotech 98% of the time. We work with ODA frequently and do CQB every week with them. Many of their operators mount their Eotechs on top of removable carry handles to aid in rapid acquisition of the sight while wearing the IBA. I have never seen even one of them with an Aimpoint. I have done a bunch of breech-and-clears this deployment and can’t say enough good things about the Eotech. A few of the things I like about it-1MOA dot, unobstructed field of view, ruggedness, integral mount, and it uses batteries I can buy at the PX(this is a HUGE advantage). I have an Aimpoint on a civilian M4 and think it is also a good piece of gear but when my life is on the line I will take the Eotech every time. One feature of the Eotech that I think is a waste of money is the ”NV Capable” models. Don’t bother with it. I have NEVER used this feature. The normal models will dim sufficiently for use with NODS. I have mounted a PVS14 in front of my Eotech just to try it and still had a few clicks of “dim” left on the normal reticle illumination when viewing through the PVS14. Same for the PVS22. If your NODS are mounted on your ACH rhino mount or a skull-crusher, you’ll never get your head in position to use the dot on the Eotech anyway-you’ll be using your PEQ2A for targeting. My guys do NODS-down entries with their NODS over their non-shooting eye using their PEQ2As for targeting and their optics turned up bright because there soon will be white light, I promise! Another great feature of both Aimpoint and Eotech is that they are both parallax free. This is a huge advantage because it is impossible to attain proper sight-alignment and sight picture with iron sights while wearing all of the ridiculous stuff we are required to don when doing an entry. We even have Eotechs mounted on our M2s!! I attached a pic of me with my M4 as I normally carry it for CQB or LRS missions. It has stock front sight, DPMS detachable rear sight, Eotech, PEQ2A, and a M203 with multi-projectile round incase all of the above quits working simultaneously!

Semper Fi!!
Chris Avery
Atlanta, Georgia USA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2007 at 10:17

Thanks for the SITREP, Chris.

Is the EOTECH mounted on your M4 a 550 model??

VLTOR stock??

What side arm are you issued?

An M9? If so, how's it performing for you?? 

Chris8541 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2007 at 10:45
The Eotech is an AA Battery, NV model, which I believe is the 552. The VLTOR stock is awesome-love the cheekweld it gives and it carries enough spare batteries for everything. I also like the QD swivel feature. Mine came with a TangoDown pistol grip, which is a little small for me but another place to put batteries for GPS, NODS, etc. I carry a SIG226. Almost all of us have gotten rid of the M9 after we had 2 stovepipes in our platoon during combat. I don't have enough experience with the M9 to make a call either way. I love my SIG and several of my buddies have Glock 17s or 19s. Back on the block, I carry a Kimber Tactical Pro II in 45ACP.

Semper Fi!
Chris Avery
Atlanta, Georgia USA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2007 at 16:59

Chris, thanks very much for your commentary, it's much appreciated, as well as your service.

Is there anything you or your platoon needs as far as gear is concerned??

I have some stuff here I would gladly send to you or one of your mates.

Optics, scopes, rings, flashlights, batteries, magazines, etc??

Anything I don't have on hand I could pick up CONUS and send your way.

I'm not sure what we can send you to your APO as far as restricted items, but I would like to extend some help with gear, if your so inclined. 

If your interested, just post here or hit me with a PM or email and I'll see what I can do.

Godspeed, Chris.

Respectfully,

Mark Stafford

cheaptrick@carolina.rr.com

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2007 at 19:22
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Chris, thanks very much for your commentary, it's much appreciated, as well as your service.

Is there anything you or your platoon needs as far as gear is concerned??

I have some stuff here I would gladly send to you or one of your mates.

Optics, scopes, rings, flashlights, batteries, magazines, etc??

Anything I don't have on hand I could pick up CONUS and send your way.

I'm not sure what we can send you to your APO as far as restricted items, but I would like to extend some help with gear, if your so inclined. 

If your interested, just post here or hit me with a PM or email and I'll see what I can do.

Godspeed, Chris.

Respectfully,

Mark Stafford

cheaptrick@carolina.rr.com

+1 Thanks so much for your service & willingness to interact with us who are state-side. 

Please include a list of stuff that might be of help to you and your brothers in the Corps.  Maybe a few of us can try to get some stuff together.  If you don't want to post a list for everybody to see, feel free to send me one via the "PM" (aka--Private Message) feature in this forum. 

cheaptrick, feel free to keep me in the loop on this.  I'd be honored to help out in any way possible.

Edited by ceylonc
Chris8541 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2007 at 21:28
Good Morning!!

Thanks to everyone for your offers to help us out!! We are pretty set on gear but some good magazines are always appreciated! "Guns and Ammo" shows up at the PX sporadically but that's about it. If you have some old mags that your going to trash or a Shotgun News or Gunlist, that would be great. You can send to me and I will distribute to my LRS brothers:

SGT Christopher Avery
Task Force Spectre
APO AE 09351

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!!

Semper Fi!
Chris Avery
Atlanta, Georgia USA
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2007 at 22:40

+2, Chris.  I'd be happy to send any needed supplies to you or any of your buddies.  Feel free to email or PM me as well.

I'll round up some old hunting and shooting mags and send to you.  If there's anything else you need, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Ted Winkle

tannah421@earthlink.net

Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic