OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Feeding issues on savage 12fv

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capergriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeding issues on savage 12fv
    Posted: May/22/2007 at 23:51

My brand new savage is a tack driver but, IT is Jamming cartridges on a regular basis. This is not a huge issue on a bolt action but it is annoying and could ruin a follow up shot in a huntin situation. the collar at the back of the bolt is loose. Is this supposed to be like this! i have used 2 different brands of ammo winchester and eagle both are hp's. there is no difference has any body experienced this and if so is there a remedy?

Thank for any info

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 06:27
In magazine reviews of the rifle, an occaisional jam was reported, but ususally the rifle cycled well.  I have a low profiler in a 22-250 and have only shot it as a single shot at the range, so I have not had a chance to see how well it cycles.  But, if it is jamming frequently, I would take it back to the dealer you purchased it from and have them address the issue or call Savage and get their recommendations.  I hear they have a good customer service department, but have never had any problems with my Savage rifles.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 16:41
Originally posted by capergriz capergriz wrote:

My brand new savage is a tack driver but, IT is Jamming cartridges on a regular basis. This is not a huge issue on a bolt action but it is annoying and could ruin a follow up shot in a huntin situation. the collar at the back of the bolt is loose. Is this supposed to be like this! i have used 2 different brands of ammo winchester and eagle both are hp's. there is no difference has any body experienced this and if so is there a remedy?

Thank for any info

I've seen several Savages that had ejection problems, but never "jamming" problems.  Please describe in more detail exactly how it jams and under what circumstances.

The rear collar is somewhat loose on all Savages I've seen.  It's merely a rear baffle to help prevent escaping gases and potential debris from overpressure from traveling down the lug races and reaching the shooter's face.  It is somewhat redundant, since the Savage also has a front baffle immediately behind the locking lugs.  Despite the fact it is loose, when the bolt is closed, it has nowhere to go since it's trapped between the receiver and the bolt shroud.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 16:46
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by capergriz capergriz wrote:

Thank for any info

I've seen several Savages that had ejection problems, but never "jamming" problems.  Please describe in more detail exactly how it jams and under what circumstances.

The rear collar is somewhat loose on all Savages I've seen.  It's merely a rear baffle to help prevent escaping gases and potential debris from overpressure from traveling down the lug races and reaching the shooter's face.  It is somewhat redundant, since the Savage also has a front baffle immediately behind the locking lugs.  Despite the fact it is loose, when the bolt is closed, it has nowhere to go since it's trapped between the receiver and the bolt shroud.

I agree with Rifledude, I have never heard of a "jamming" problem, but an occaisonal ejection problem.  A better description of exactly what you are having a problem with, would be helpful.

capergriz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capergriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 08:19

Sorry guys for being a bit Vague:

with the magazine loaded, all cartridges pushed to the rear stop, closing the bolt the projectile jams on the front of the chamber face and the lower bolt face. you then have to fully withdraw the bolt and pick this cartridge out because the rear is still in the magazine. It seems to be missing the chamber entrance by mm.

i have cleaned the feed ramp and worked the mag follower in hopes that it would "work in" but it still is a problem on 40% of bolt cycling.

That is good news about the rear baffle as i can eliminate that. excellent rifle all in all if i can eliminate this problem or lessen it .

Thanks

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 08:23
Are you handloading or using factory ammo and if it is factory what brand and specifics?
capergriz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capergriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 11:15

So far ihave used winchester 55 gr HP and eagle 62 gr HP, we don t have a big selection of ammo in my area. I was thinking it could be the HP regardless it should feed them. in the process of getting a press and some gear and getting set up for 223, 308 and maybe 300 wsm.

when i get home i will take some photos of a typical jam but, that wont be for 3 weeks .

Steve

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 16:37

caper,

By your description, it sounds to me like maybe Savage either didn't widen the front portion of the magazine lips (ridge of steel at the bottom of the receiver at both sides of the magazine port) sufficiently for the case to pop free from the magazine halfway into the feed cycle, or the ramp was machined at too steep an angle.  If this is indeed the case, I would send it back to Savage for repair, not because it's difficult to fix, but because they need to know about it.  Neither the type of bullet you're using nor whether you're using factory ammo or handloads would cause a round to become trapped between the breech face and the bolt face, as your problem stems from the fact the case isn't releasing from the magazine.  Actually, it's conceivable a handload could cause this problem if the cartridge OAL was way too long, but normally, the magazine box length and barrel throat length would be the limiting factor here.  Without actually seeing the rifle, I can't say for certain what the source of the problem is.

Do you still have this problem when feeding the last round from the magazine, only with the first couple rounds on top of a full magazine, or is it a totally random occurrence regardless of how many rounds are underneath the one being fed?

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
capergriz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capergriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 00:02

I have tried with single rnd 3 rnd 2 rnd and even the way i was cycling the bolt, it is random, when i return home i will take a photo of a typical jam and post it.

thanks 

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 20:13

Is it the new center feed savage or the older stagger feed? Does it have the z spring under the feed ramp or the coil spring? Is the gun new in the last month or so or older? The coil don't work well on the smaller calibers.

focus

I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
capergriz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capergriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 14:24

the rifle is definitely a Stagger Feed. I have not disassemble it yet so i do not know if it is a coil or z spring. I  will take it apart when i get home.

Thanks

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 16:12
If its several months old or older it should be a stagger feed model. It also should have the Z spring under the follower, make sure the edge of the spring foot is not caught under the magazine itself and tilting the follower back. If all is as it should be than feed slowly and see if its catching on the mag lips when it should pop up to feed forward, a little filing on the edges (not much just a general smoothing up will often cause it to start working. Also smooth the edges with a piece of fine sandpaper or steelwool, afterwards use a little cold blue to color it back and prevent any rust. Generally it just takes a little tweaking to get the rounds to start popping up everytime you pull the bolt back. If you have access to anyone who has a couple followers......often simply changing to a new one can cause the rounds to lift at different tension and pop totally up. Good luck with your feeding problem. A good gunsmith can usually get one to feed in just a short time sometimes while you wait also.

focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
NDAR15MAN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDAR15MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2016 at 17:42
How did you come out with your savage issue not loading ammo. ? My new gun is doing the same. Gun smith had had it in shop 2 times this month. Bolt pushed shell in breach hole but will
Not go In the last 1/8 inch of barrel beech. Gun will dry fire every time but not put shell in all the way ? Marty.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2016 at 17:50
This topic is almost 10 years old. Just an FYI
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2016 at 21:31
If they are new guns send them back to the manufacturer and let them repair the issue. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic