OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 20-60X70mm -feedback?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 20-60X70mm -feedback?
    Posted: June/06/2007 at 23:29

Anyone know about the Bushnell 20-60X70mm elite spotting scope.  Seems like fair glass at an OK price...

If anyone has looked through this scope, hit me with some feedback.  Much appreciated.

Can you buy a 45 degree eye piece if you want it.  I think I might like to try the 45 at the range, and straight for hunting.

Thanks guys.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 11:46

I've not handled the 20-60x70 Elite though, I am familiar with its smaller sibling the 15-45x60 Elite. I would suspect that the optics will be of similarly high quality. 

I do know that the eyepieces for both of these scopes are integral parts of the scope body, i.e. they cannot be switched with anything else and that there is no 45 degree option for either of them.  You would have to step up to the 80mm ED Elite to be able to switch around eyepieces and/or to get an angled unit.

Even with the eyepiece-switchable 80mm Elite however, you still have to choose between either angled or straight. There is no provision for switching eyepieces to somehow get both.  The same is true with pretty much all spotting scopes including the various "alpha" scopes. This is because the choice between angled and straight is accomplished by physical changes to the body of the scope, not the eyepiece. The one exception being with some astronomical (Catadioptric) scopes, which can sometimes switch between a 90 degree and a 45 degree angle, though even these still don't offer an option for straight.

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 14:08

Lucznik

Thanks for the feedback.  I mainly want it for use at the range out to 300 yards.  Should be great.

I'll live with the eyepiece.  Just need to get a nice small tripod for the bench.  Do you have a favorite?

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 14:29
Originally posted by PappaBear PappaBear wrote:

Just need to get a nice small tripod for the bench.  Do you have a favorite?

If you're just going to use it on the bench and you're going to use a lightweight scope like the Elite, then you won't really need a very heavy duty tripod.  I bought a little Vangaurd (I think) Mars 1 tripod for use at the range for about $30 a few years ago.  It has held up really well. It is not the kind of tripod you're going to take on a hunt-of-a-lifetime to Alaska but, for less demanding chores it has proven quite useable.

I do not have one right now but, I've heard really good things about the Velbon Ultra Luxi-F tripod.  One review I read identified it as one of the very few field worthy tripods on the market.  It can usually be found for around $130 (I think.)  It is gold colored which might not appeal to a lot of hunters but, that's about the only negative I've heard about it. And besides, that's why spray paint exists.

Of course, you can always buy a Bogen, Manfrotto, Gitzo, etc. tripod that will set you back a pretty penny but, will offer the most precise and reliable adjustments and will really last a long, long time.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 20:48

Lucznik

I just came back from the store and looked at one of those Vanguards.  It seemed like very good quality and was only $20.00.  I think I'm gunna get it- thanks.   Always good to hear it lasted you well. 

If I go hunting, I bet I can hold it steady enough with my PoleCat monopad to use 30 power, but we'll see when I get there.

My biggest challenge will be getting there, like most folks! LOL.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic