OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica LRF to CRF 800 900 1200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica LRF to CRF 800 900 1200
    Posted: June/15/2007 at 08:58
Other than the obvious difference in max range, what other meaningful differences, improvements have occurred in the progression over the years from LRF 800 to LRF 900 to LRF 1200 to CRF 1200 and now with the addition of the CRF 900.   I'm on the fence between ordering the CRF 900, latest and greatest for $500 vs buying a like new used LRF 800 off ebay for $250.  Anybody handled these in the field to offer their thoughts?
Bullsprig View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullsprig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 11:07

MoChicken, Interesting that your post is at the top this morning as I wanted to post essentially the same question.  I have owned LRF 800 for several years and have always been dissatisfied with their effective ranging ability.  I have never been able to isolate on one single deer over three hundred yds. They seem to be ok at 150 yds and less.

I am headed to New Mexico for my first Elk Hunt and plan to purchase a new range finder.  My question would be somewhat like yours.  What are the differences and what can I realistcallly expect for effetive range?

I would like to find a pair that would really read a deer at 400 yds on a sendero in south Texas regardless of brand.

Sprig

mochicken View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 11:37
Bullsprig, you answered my question.  I may be able to help you out.  The new issue of Shooting Times July 2007 has a good field test on 4 range finders.  The CRF 900 topped the lot.
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 16:58
I have the CRF 1200.  It will reliably range a pine tree (low reflective) up to 1300 yards.  However, I have not been able to range an Angus cow at much more than 700 yards.  Other color cows such as brown or red easily read much further.  Reflectivity is the key.  This is dependent on color, distance, target size and aspect angle.  I feel comfortable in saying  that the CRF 1200 should range an adult broadside deer at over 700 yards.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
spreader View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 21:12
LRF is old product line that will most likely be discontinued soon.

Both CRF and LRF are made at Leica's factory in Portugal.

LRF takes 9V battery that can be bought in any store.

CRF takes lithium battery that may not be available at any nearby stores when you need it the most, so you better carry a spare just in case, since they have 10 years shelf life you won't need to replace your spare too often.

LRF is water resistant, CRF is waterproof to 1 meter depth

LRF is meant to be used horizontally with both hands. If you want it mounted on tripod, it has no tripod socket, you will need to buy special mounting plate ($70).

CRF is meant to be used vertically, one handed. It has tripod socket.

Measurement accuracy and effective range is same for respective LRF and CRF models.

CRF supposedly has slightly better coating for better light transmission and improved electronics for better ranging of various objects (this I can't actually confirm).

spreader View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 21:13
Forgot one other difference. LRF allows measurement in either yards or meters (selector set).

CRF is available in different models - either measurement in meters or yards, but not both in same unit.

steadyshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steadyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 09:48
This was very helpful, thanks!  For myself in purchasing one for the first time looking for something in the $600 or below price range.  In conclusion, one would highly recommend the CRF 1200.  Just curious, how would you compare or what do you think of it compared to the competitor s CLR 1200?  The competitor s has only 5x mag, 1.8oz heaver, but utilizes a standard 9v battery and has dual modes?  I guess I'm more interested in "hands on" and quality?  Any thoughts?
mochicken View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 10:16
steadyshot, there are lots of "competitors".  how about a name?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steadyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 11:23

Wow,,,sorry, I left out or deleted the name by accident but was referencing the competitor s own brand.  It is on their competitor s website. 

should make sense now!

Thanks!

spreader View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 15:02
steadyshot,

I have no idea what are you talking about when you mention CLR 1200.

There are only two good laser rangefinders on the market today - Leica CRF/LRF series and Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30. Swarovski has longer effective range (1500 yards) and due to higher magnification and larger objective (and larger exit pupil) appears to be "brighter" when used. It has a meters/yards selector just like LRF and uses CR2 lithium battery just like CRF. It is designed to be used two-handed, just like LRF. It has tripod socket, like CRF. Swarovski can do up to 1000 measurements on one battery, LRF can do 1000, CRF can do 2000.

Swarovski though has much larger beam divergence, which according to many folks makes it somewhat difficult to use at longer distances, because it covers a very large area. You may end up ranging to tree 100 yards behind the deer or large rock 50 yards in front of him, when he is out 400 yards. Swarovski has round "reticle" that is 2 milliradian in diameter, in other words subtends object size 2x2meters at 1000 meters.

Leica has oval shaped laser beam, about 0.5 x 2.5 milliradian, which makes it much easier to target just the object to which you're trying to find the distance - at 1000 meters it would subtend object size of 50 centimeter by 2.5 meters.

Leica CRF 1200 weighs 220 grams with battery.

Leica LRF 1200 Scan weighs 320 grams with battery.

Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30 weighs 386 grams with battery.

In my opinion 220 grams is too light, combined with one-handed design it makes it difficult to hold steady for long distance rangefinding.

At the same time, just because CRF is updated version and is waterproof, it may make more sense for someone who needs waterproofed rangefinder.
If LRF was waterproof and had updated electronics, I would chose it any time over CRF.
mochicken View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2007 at 16:21

Ha!   This is like one of those TV game shows where we have complete the phrase?   You're messin with our minds on purpose aren't you?   

Edited by mochicken
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steadyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 12:21
I'm lost...........?  Not sure what you meant by that........
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steadyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 12:25

Sorry guys, rough day.  I was referencing the competitor s laser rangefinder CLR 1200.  It can be found on the competitor s web site, I'll try to attach a link here: http://http://www.competitor s.com/competitor s/en/templates/index/ind ex-display.jsp?id=cat20756&navAction=jump&navCount=1 &cmCat=MainCatcat20712&parentType=category&paren tId=cat20712

Sorry for the confusion-

mochicken View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 12:40

Oh I have discovered the snafu.    This board auto replaces any competitors name you type in a post with the word "competitor"   So I apologize for giving you a hard time.  HA!!   google CLR 1200 and up pops the "C" word competitors house brand range finder model CLR 1200, with the following customer comment:  "All you will ever need in a rangefinder for most hunting situations. Ranges deer-size game up to 400 yards and trees to 800 yards. The camo finish holds up very well. I have many scratches without loss of finish."   copy says 1200 to reflective targets and 400 to a deer.  not in the same league as the Leica.

Edited by mochicken
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 12:49

It is our filter that is doing it.  We had problems with other dealers coming on our site and posting links or ads.  So I set up a filter to keep our competitors from being listed all over our site.  So if you type the name of one of our competitors the code will automatically change what you typed to the word "competitor".

I am changing it now to remove Cabela because they are not really a competitor.  Here is the link he was trying to post.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-disp lay.jsp?id=cat601605&navAction=jump&navCount=1&c mCat=MainCatcat602006&parentType=category&parentId=c at602006

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steadyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2007 at 13:10

Thanks, I thought I was losing it, appreciate you backing up my sanity!

Best regards-

CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2007 at 09:11
I am as frugal as anyone, but I can tell you after buying the new Leica 1200, the old saying of "buy quality, cry once" is absolutely correct.  This is my 3rd rangefinder.  I went cheap the first two times.  I was not totally satisfied with either, although the Bushnell YP 800 works pretty darn well at ranging, it is worthless in even moderately low light.  It was frustrating during a hunt to be able to clearly see deer through the binoculars and scope and yet not be able to see them through the rangefinder.  It never cost me a deer, but it did prevent verification of range on a number of occasions.  This is no big deal where trees are nearby and previous ranging will provide the distance, but in a wide open field or in a place that you are hunting for the first time on a morning, it is important.  You will not have this problem with the Leica.  It is almost as good as my scope.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 17:56
I've been using the crf1200 this season and I'm sooo happy that I did. It's super light and lighting fast at range finding! I've been spotting small trees up to 1320 yards. I haven't tried spoting a deer yet at that range but if I can get a reading from an object like a tree at the same distance as an animal next to it, that's good enough for me. The unit is very light weight and I don't find a problem keeping it steady with both hands at long distances. Like most, I find that certain colors don't reflect well; this is probably true with most range finders. The only flaw I find is that the red led display will sometimes appear to disappear against certain back ground colors, which is also probably true with most red LED display units, so I have to make adjustments to read the display while ranging my target. No problem!!

I had a Bushnell YP 1000 that was very good too but it was a little bulky and the optics were not in the same league as the Leica. I did like it's binocular style and reliability.

Side note - before deciding on the crf1200 I tried the Leupold rx-iv. It appeared to be the one to get with it's TBR system for hunting. It's probably just me but I couldn't get that thing to range find anything over 500+ hundred yards. I worked with their customer service, which is very good, but with the same results even when we turned off all the extra features. Yes, I tried a second unit thinking the original device was bad. IMHO - the Bushnell was a much better product.

Get a Leica, you'll be very happy with it!! 

Edited by mike650
TWL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 12:44
I have used an LRF 800 for a couple of years and found it much superior to a Bushnell unit I had previously. The main differences were the angle of divergance and the lighter weight. Leica has a narrower angle of divergance than others which enables you to range a smaller target- it's not measuring an area the size of a barn door at 200 yards. This feature has not been refined with the newer units from Leica according to their office and my experience.

I recently bit the bullet and purchased a Geovid to combine the rangefinder and binocular unit. Comparing the Geovid to the LRF 800 really doesn't show much of a practical difference. Some readings were easier with the Geovid, some with the LRF 800. Occasionally, I can tell that the Geovid will range more distant objects occasionally, but I thought there would be more of a difference. I did get the combinded function, which was of importance to me.

The bottom line is that if you don't need to combine functions as I did or can live without the CRF units which are smaller; functionally, there isn't a lot of difference between any of the Leica units.

Now for the disclaimer: I have an LRF 800 in like new condition with the original box, etc. which I would sell for $250...

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to try to answer.

Tom
NV Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 10:31

The CRF does have some features that the LFR do not... Being submersible water proof if is the major one - even the battery box is waterproof.  The processor is also faster and doesn't just take one reading... it takes multiple readings and builds a "bell curve" and gives an average... so there are less false readings.  I have used the LFR 1200 for years... but the new CRF 1200 is an improvement over the older LRF models.  NV Hunter    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic