OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Picking My New Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huntin' Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picking My New Scope
    Posted: June/15/2007 at 17:25
I've just bought a new Remington Model Seven XCR 7mm08 in RTAP. It is my first rifle, and I am thrilled. Now, of course, I have to top it with the best scope I can afford. I plan to use my rifle to hunt whitetails in the southeast, with hopefully some trips out west to hunt an elk or a pronghorn or two.

I've narrowed my scope choices down, but since you folks know a lot more about it than I, I am happy to get your feedback. It's between the Kahles Helia KX in 3-9x42, the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, the Swaro American 3-10x42, or what I think is the bargain of the century, the New Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42. So gentlemen--and ladies--what do you think?
Novice Huntin' Gal
      “If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.” William Maxwell
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2007 at 17:36
first off welcome to the OT and congrats on that 7-08 i love the way the xcr looks so you got a sweet tough and accurate rifle, sounds like you wanna build it right based on your scope choices, i would pick the kahles myself
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2007 at 18:21

Can't fault any in your list...  for me the sweet spot is between the Conquest vs. Kahles.  (Price - Quality)

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2007 at 18:35
I think the Nikon would serve you well and the BDC reticle will give you known holdover but remember it only works on the highest power. Not really a problem if you know the trajectory of the bullet or tape it to the rifle for quick reference.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2007 at 19:37

All of them are great scopes........but if I could afford it, I would go with the Swaro.  I've always wanted one, but could never afford it! 

Seriously, try to handle and look at as many as possible.  I've personally looked at all but the Kahles, and you really can't go wrong.  But, if I had the money, and it was going to be my one scope for everything, I'd be tempted to try the Swaro.  A good friend of mine has a couple of them, and they are really nice.

Have Fun and Good Hunting,

Steve

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 05:20
You won't go wrong with the kahles, zeiss, or swaro........jury is out on the new monarchs till they get out in the market and shooters start posting up on sites like this and telling of their experiences. Ad hype and real life experience can really vary...........

focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Huntin' Gal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huntin' Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 13:08
Thanks everybody! You are definitely helping me narrow my options. With the opinions on the new Nikon pending and the Swaro kind of a dream choice, I think it may just be between the Kahles and the Zeiss. Wally, your advice to handle them all is perhaps the wisest...so I'll be off to find a place near me where I can handle three of the four. The Nikon's not in stores yet, right?

Anybody out there really happy with their Kahles, Zeiss, or Swaro who'd like to "sell" me on their favorite features? I'd love to hear about them!
Novice Huntin' Gal
      “If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.” William Maxwell
stubewan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 20:29

I believe the Conquest 3.5-10-44 would really trip your trigger. Compare it visually with the others and I am sure that you will see why I comnsider it a top ranking for the rifle that you have chosen. I personally have used the 7-08 for many years, the first year I had the 7-08 it was topped with a Kahles 3.5-10-50 american hunter series, great scope but too much scope for the hunting that I do. I currently use a Nikon Monarch 6-42 and absolutely love it. However the Zeiss 44 would really be awesome with the trips you have planned and it is just plain awesome the reticle is nothing short of AAA+.

Stubewan

Stubewan
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 08:07

Between my Dad and myself, we have three of the Conquests.  Two are 3-9's, and one is a 2.5-8x32.  He has had problems seeing through some scopes because of his age, and eye sight problems.  He says the Conquests have reopened his shooting world.  He loves them.  I remounted my Conquests on his rifles for this reason. 

I have used them a little myself, and I really like the clarity of the glass, and the dimensions of the z-plex reticle.  For $400, I don't think you can go wrong.  Give them a look.

I've used the older Nikon Monarchs quite a bit.  They are fine scopes.  I still have two of them.  I'm sure the newer ones will be even better.  I don't think Nikon is going to put out a piece of crap in their high end series of scope.  Like I said, look at as many as possible.  It seems to me that most manufacturers are switching to a more "european" styling in their scopes.  Many seem to like this type of scope.  I'm not so sure about it myself.  Yet, it may suit you just fine.  Decide for yourself. 

.By the way, all of the scopes you've mentioned, plus many more, have wonderful optics.  Again, this is the product of fierce competition.  When looking at the scopes, take notice to other features, and see if there is anything that jumps out and grabs you.  Lately, the differences that cause me to chose one scope over another are much more subtle than they used to be.

By the way, just to add a little more confusion to the process , I recently purchased a Sightron SII Big Sky, and I am VERY pleased with it as well.  To my eye, it compared very well with one of the above mentioned Conquests.

Get out there and go shopping.  That's part of the fun of this hobby.  Most importantly, buy the scope for YOU, not anyone else.

Steve

Edited by Wally
Huntin' Gal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huntin' Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 14:48
Again, more to think about. Wally, I read your post about the Sightron...a fifth possibility????

Stubewan, thanks for the firsthand account with using the 7-08 with the 50. The Zeiss is gaining momentum! Is there a new version of the conquest?

Pyro, what keeps you happy with the Kahles? I was in my outdoor store yesterday and picked up an outdated catalog, but it gave me some great insight into the company and it's long tradition in scopes. What/where do you hunt?
Novice Huntin' Gal
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 16:11
For me the conquest is the best for my eyes in their price range and none have ever let me down. I believe from reading posts that the kahles and swaro are probably a skunch better optically but also a bit more $ and quality and preformance get more and more expensive for less and less results as you climb the optics pyramid. Conquest has the brightest most resolute sight picture for my eye and the reticle is simply the perfect size for low light to bright light, its always black no reflection color changes. The finish is very durable and euro focus fast and precise, I've shot two barrels out from under one and drug another thru the puckerbrush for over five years now......nary a whimper. I'm sure there are better scopes out there.........but none that I've seen for equal or less money. Everytime I buy something other than a conquest....I realize how bad they have spoiled me for similiar priced scopes. If my boat ever comes in, i would love to try both the swaro and kahles above mentioned scopes.

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 16:31

Originally posted by Huntin' Gal Huntin' Gal wrote:

Pyro, what keeps you happy with the Kahles? I was in my outdoor store yesterday and picked up an outdated catalog, but it gave me some great insight into the company and it's long tradition in scopes. What/where do you hunt?

to be real honest with you i dont own any kahles scopes, but i plan to, rifledude speaks very highly of  them and he imo isnt wrong very often, i do however own a few nikon scopes and they are very good, but when i decide to step up and get a higher dollar scope it will be a kahles. the ones i have looked through are better than my monarchs, so i would assume they are also better than the conquest.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
stubewan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 17:49

Huntin' Gal wrote:

Stubewan, thanks for the firsthand account with using the 7-08 with the 50. The Zeiss is gaining momentum! Is there a new version of the conquest?

I live in GA. I hunt GA, NC, SC all the time. When I first purchased the 7-08 I had a Khales that I took off of a 264 Win Mag, that I had sold. The Khales was, is incredible optics. The 3.5x10x50 was just a bit too big for my taste, the lines of the rifle looked kind of crazy. I bought a 6x42 Nikon Monarch mostly because of the feedback that I had received on this forum. I can tell you that The places and states where I hunt are swamps, pine plantations, large food plots and power right of ways, mostly from elevated stand, climber, or ground blinds. I have never felt under scoped. The optics are bright and resolution is fantastic. These are characteristics of most fixed power scopes.

What I would encorage you to do is: really think about the places where you hunt,not the places you are wanting to go. How often are you going to make these trips out west, when you're out there what style of hunting is going to be the most productive, still, stalk, or stand hunting. These things should help clear up which scope is going to be the best match for your style of hunting, along with your budget. If my wife had not bought the Khales for me as a gift I would have purchased a Monarch, I am thankful for the gift however at the time I know that she did without somethings just to surprise me with something that wouldn't buy for myself. Also I just don't think that the Khales American Hunter has that much of an advantage over the Zeiss Conquest (IMO).

My daughter is now using that 7-08 with the 6x, it took her about 2 weeks to get totally comfortable with it, but she has no problems right now with anything at around 150yds. The last Deer I shot with it was 257yds, the shot was at o'dark thirty and it was very clean and visible shot. I am now shooting a 270 with a Conquest 3.5x10x44 and I absolutely love it, more than 3x9x40 Conquest, the Monarch 3x9x40, 2.5x10x42 or the Sightron Sll, I have not seen a Sll Big Sky.  I hope this helps.

I have a Khales 3.5x10x50, Elite 3200 3x9x40, Monarch 6x42, and a Zeiss 3.5x1044 Conquest

Stubewan
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 05:24
Well spoken Stubewan........I never really mention my favorite conquest when posting. Like you it is the 3.5x10x44 model, I have a pair...one for each hunting rifle, although I own 3.5x10x40 var x lll's, a 4x16x40 4200 elite, and a 4.5x14x44 conquest, the two 3.5x10x44's are always my go to scopes for the guns that bring the groceries home. I have seen the sightron big sky and if it would have been in 100% perfect condition as delivered it still was not, to my eyes, as good as the conquests.If that buck is going to come out at the last minute in very low light conditions down in the swamp........I want the conquest with a reticle I can see.

focus

Edited by Focus

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 07:37

out of the choices you stated, i would definitely go w/ the kahles KX.

suppurb glass and reticles.  ANY of the scopes you stated are fine, i would give the edge to the kahles, though.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

J

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 13:02
I notice a couple of you guys have both 3-9x40 and 3.5-10x44 CONQUEST models and you both prefer the 44mm. Why do you prefer this model? Is the extra 4mm of objective lense worth $200 more than the 40mm model? Is it that much brighter or what? just curious because I can order a 44mm off the Sample list for just a little more than a new 40mm zeiss. Also can you tell me if the Kahles has fixed eye relief and an etched reticle like the Zeiss? Are the plex reticles simialar or is the Zeiss plex #20 a little thicker lined?
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 13:21

yes to the etched reticle - as for the fixed eye relief, i am not sure - the site says 3.54 which is plenty for a 7mm08.

J

stubewan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 13:59

The Kahles that I own is a second plane reticle, one inch tube thus the American Hunter series. The eye relief is a minimum of 3.35" and not been a problem on either the 264 win mag or the 7-08. The relief gets shorter as the magnification gets higher.

The Zeiss Conquest, to me, seems to have more and consistant eye relief. I can only tell you that to me, experienced hunter, but only mildly optically educated, that the Conquest 3.5 x 10 x 44 appears to give more magnification than its peers at all settings. It also appears brighter, the resolution is awesome, as compared to the others I mentioned in my other post. The reticle is exceptional in general form and it does seem a bit thicker.

I have used the bottom vertical subtention, firing range, and chrono to tell me the distances that I can shoot. I know that some folks like ballistic plexs, but I perfer my view to be unencumbered. I also don't like very thick reticles. I would also encorage you to go to the nearest store, that carries both sizes that you want, very close to closing time and ask a clerk to go outside with you. Like me I believe you will see everything that I am experiencing. The 44 rocks! However, If you want a 3.5 x 10 x 50, I have a Kahles forsale.

Stubewan 

Stubewan
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 15:04
Dave, its a little shorter than the 3x9 model and seems a little brighter at low light. It also allows me to use a little more magnifaction at low light while maintaining exit pupil size. I just prefer the 3.5x10x44 over the 3x9x40 when looking thru them. Guess its an eye thing 

I don't question that the swaro and kahles will have slightly better optics....I just question if for my eyes its worth the $300-400 difference to have that slight bit more brightness or resolution. Looking thru the next level higher optics I realize that the increase in preformance is going to cost a whole lot more......and not be a big difference. Guess it comes down to your bankroll and what your looking for. Still say the conquest is best bang for your buck in its price class.

focus

Edited by Focus

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 17:57
The #20 Z-plex is what I was interested in since I have no need for a ballistic type reticle right now. Is the z-plex a heavier plex than say a bushnell elite plex or are they about the same. Also, did you guys buy your Zeiss scopes brand new or did either of you get them from the sample list. A lot of them say " close to new condition" while some say "light ring marks". I guess it doesnt matter so much about ring marks, I just dont want a refurbished scope with marked up lenses ya know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic