OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low light fixed power scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low light fixed power scope
    Posted: July/22/2007 at 21:21
604241 IOR 6x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                       IOR 6x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4a
  • 30mm
SWFA: $449.95
More Info... Buy Now
SIIB642 New Sightron 6x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope                                                                                New Sightron 6x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
  • Satin Black
  • Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $299.95
More Info... Buy Now

If you could live with a variable this is very bright also

422105M Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
SWFA: $459.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2007 at 19:54

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7141&PN=1 

i sent a PM, but i am not sure if you got it or not - the kahles mentioned above is a great scope as well.

I think that for big game target acquisition and tracking in the lowlight, you simply can't beat a # 4 reticle.

if you would like the meostar listed in the above post, let me know - it's a wonderful scope, i paid 600 for it.

i will be listing on ebay this week.  i have to sell some of my toys to to pay for some other hobbies.

thanks

J

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2007 at 18:05
stubewan's suggestion is an excellent one!  The 6X42 Kahles is an outstanding low light scope with superb optics, 7mm exit pupil, plenty of magnification for most hunting, and it's a great buy at the Sample List price!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
stubewan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2007 at 17:42

I know the type of terrain you're most likely hunting, but I will only make an assumption to that fact.  I grow up in Monroe, NC. I hunted all over NC and SC growing up (swamps to plots and bean fields). Today I live in GA. I still hunt NC, SC, GA, and AL. I have used a Nikon Monarch 6 x 42 and custom Rem 7-08mm for the last 6 years. No shots too close or too long (257 yds.). It is very bright, clear and the resolution is great. It is really bright.

IMO, the 7x is a little too much. The 7x would need a high mount, which changes head position, which is something I don't want at this point. The extra seconds that you may get, may only encourage shots that should not be taken. I also own a Khales 3.5x10x50 scope, the Nikon is as good if not better. (fixed power). There are 2 Kahles 6x42 scopes on the Sample list each just $499. I don't believe that you will go wrong with the combo. Good luck.

Stubewan

Stubewan
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2007 at 13:41
11972 Aimpoint CompM4 30mm Red Dot Sight                                                                                      Aimpoint CompM4 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Night Vision Compatible
  • Picatinny Mount Included
SWFA: $699.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2007 at 13:36

PM sent.

stilhuntin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2007 at 13:14

I ordered a Meostar 7 x 56 scope for last light use in the Southeast for deer hunting. The Meostar is back ordered at SWFA until the first of September. That is cutting it pretty close to rifle season here in the Carolinas and I'm kind of nervous. Have not seen this scope in stock at other sites either.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good low light scope (preferably fixed power)?

I have a Kahles Multi-Zero 3x10x50 (great scope) on another rifle and need something for a 7mm08 Tikka. Shots range from 100 - 200 yards. I heard that fixed power scopes transmit more light than variables and are less expensive. How would the Kahles KX 3.5x10x50 compare to the 7x56? Is there a scope with similiar glass as the Kahles in fixed power and #4 type reticle? I did not see a Kahles fixed powers scope with a heavy reticle for hunting and I really don't want to spend more than $800 -$900.

I know there are several questions here, but any information will be greatly appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic