OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Long Range Scope for 300 WIn Mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Range Scope for 300 WIn Mag
    Posted: September/01/2007 at 13:38

Looking for a scope for my 300 win mag.  I use this gun for anything from coyotes to moose.

Coyote - out to 1000yds

Deer     - out to 600 yds

Elk       - out to 400 yds

Moose  - out to 300 yds

Since I am in the feild as a hunter and as a guide, I need a scope that I don't have to mess with (other than PA if necessary, no target nobs).  I am looking at the burris black diamond 4-16x50 with the mil-dot recticle.  I also need a scope that will handle hot hand loads, so I was wondering if posi-lock is necessary.  Would appreciate any suggestions.  Price range I am looking at is under 1000 (preferrably with the rings in that price).

louissr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louissr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 17:12
$1000 will get you a very good Burris, Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell and probably several
Sample list fine European scopes. The ultimate scope for your application is the 4-16x50 Schmidt & Bender but it costs 2X your budget.
 Don't know where you're guiding but if you can't get closer than those ranges to any of those animals you must be blowing an air horn to announce you're on the way.
The outfitters I know (about 15) make it a point to get the dude within 200 yards to avoid messy followups.
Biggest problem I have with Moose is not getting too close to them as they are not very bright and have a bad attitude and most of the "Yotes" I shoot are taken with a 10 bore BPS. I'm still waiting to see the guy with the average 300 winmag, a decent scope and good ammo who can ring a 12" gong very shot @600 yards under field hunting conditions.(wind, mirage, bad light, no benchrest etc.)  I doubt he exists but I do see a lot of cripples killed by wolves who were wounded by guys who thought they were ready for Camp Perry. Just my opinion based on 50 years afield.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 17:33
i would tend to agree with you, although i dont use a scatter gun on pasture poodles, sometimes they hang up outside of shot gun range, so having a centerfire is a better choice imo, i know from a bench i could hit a 12 gong @ 500 yds all day i dont think i could  hit 3 out of 10 standing off hand @ a gong 600 yds away however, i tend to try to take the closest shot possible which in general i keep it under 300yds (at game animals) pasture poodles are fair game as far as they can be seen.moose have poor eyesight which i am sure you are well aware of i dont think they are stupid they just dont have a lot to worry about.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 18:16

I guide in Montana.  Got a wilderness area that is partially burned that we hunt in.  We cover about 20,000 acres.  Average shot for hunters on deer and elk is 150 to 200 yards.  Closest shot was bowhunting at 12 yards.  Those numbers listed above are personal numbers shooting from a bipod.  I would never ask a hunter that I guide for to try those shots.  Isn't ethical if they don't have the practice, plus I hate tracking elk for 5 plus miles in mountainous terrain.  My personal range is increasing.  Off hand, I am fine out to 350.  Off the bipod, I can get out to 1000 yards (will admit at that range it is a little luck on coyotes).  Those limits are also based on the energy of those loads, and the ability to knock down animals cleanly.  That being said, if any of you want a good elk hunt, let me know, and then you can see the difference between my personal hunting style, and my guiding.

I really don't want to debate the ethical side of long range hunting.  It is a personal challange, as is getting as close as possible.  That being said, I want a good scope that will be good from 50yds to 1000yds.

Am I going wrong with the burris?  I have a fullfield II on my 270 and like it, but want a higher quality scope.  Seems like you just pay too much for the leupolds for what you get compared to the burris, nikon, and bushnell.  Am curious to your personal choices in scopes and why.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 18:46
i too have a ffII mines on a 300wsm and i too like it, but my nikon monarch is better but for the money your talking you can buy a really nice scope, kahles and zeiss come to mind right away, ior and meopta are pretty good as well
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 19:04

Ethical hunting aside, guides have to fix "problems" caused by other people shots.  It is best if they can get them fixed quick.  There is a big differance between between fixing problems caused by other peoples shots and "ethical" hunting.  Getting the problem fixed, and ending the animals suffering, is a part of ethical hunting and ethical guiding.

The Burris is an ok scope.  YET, you said that you wanted a 1000 yard scope.  That means a differance(jump) in optical clarity.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 20:58
the best scope with enough magnification i found was a zeiss conquest it was around $800, i myself dont feel comfortable with a scope that has 6x as its lowest setting especially when in bear country and also when calling pasture poodles little bastards can be sneaky and at 15-30 yds hard to shoot on 6.5x so i generally try to stay within 3x9 or 3-10 or 4-12 and at the top end 4.5-14  but thats just me.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 22:22

I have a 4.5-14 Conquest on my Alaskan gun (bear, caribou, and elk - and wolf.)  It can handle being lashed to the wing of a plane and flown out to BFE.

And, what the rifle don't finish off at close range, the .454 will.  The great thing about such encounters: they are the only rounds you light off where there is no sound and no recoil.  Hell of a price to pay if you miss though.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 00:51

Unfortunately, I do have to fix "problems" at longer ranges sometimes.  Not too much though.  Had a horse roll on me one time.  Broke the stock on my 270 (that is when I bought the 300, which I like much better), but the burris scope survived.  I was impressed and maybe am a little biased towards burris after that, but want to keep my options open.

As for clarity, I didn't notice a big differance between the black diamond, and the zeiss.  I only got to look through them in the store though, so that may be why I didn't notice a whole lot.  They both felt very sturdy and well built.  Looking for magnification min of 3x and max of 16x (something in that range, but not those exact numbers).  Other than clarity (which I am still testing) of the zeiss, is there any other advantages of that scope.

Just a question on the side.  Rancid, what type of 454 do you have?  I have been looking at getting one of those too.

Edited by helo18
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 20:11

Ok, it is between the following:

Burris Black Diamond 4-16x50 Bal Mil-dot

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 Mil-dot (or Rapid Z-800)

Opinions?

Also is there a sunshade for the Zeiss.  Some posts say no, some say yes.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 21:22
i take the zeiss, and so does t-bone's optical rating chart, it ranks the zeiss conquest a couple steps above the burris.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 21:51

Of the 2, Zeiss, no question.

But... you'll always wish you had saved a little more and bought the Swarovski!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 21:55
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Of the 2, Zeiss, no question.

But... you'll always wish you had saved a little more and bought the Swarovski!

or a kahles for a little less

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 22:57

Wish I could afford the Swaro.  Being in helicopter flight school, it is hard enough to put aside the money for a $700 Burris or a $850 Zeiss.  But the scope that is on the 300 is a piece of crap, and it can't handle the recoil of the hand loads.  Give me about 10 years and maybe I can buy the Sako TRG and a Swaro to go with it.  Am trying to justify the extra 150 to go with the Zeiss as it is.

In general use, and I really going to notice a big difference between the two?  Like I said earlier, I have only looked at them in the store.  Am going to go back this weekend to see if I can take them outside.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Any other advice is appreciated.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 08:08

You will notice a difference.

Given your circumstances and needs, I'd say a Kahles or Zeiss off the Sample List would be the way to go.  If you get Zeiss (don't know about Kahles) off the Sample List, the lifetime warranty applies and your optic is guaranteed.  I buy lots o' stuff off the sample list, it's the way to go.

TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 08:12
In the store you will be hard pressed to notice any difference, I have been through this many times.  You will only notice a difference and be able to see the European scopes shine when you compare them side by side in the field as it gets dark.  Then you will see the difference that you pay for.  Based on the scopes you are considering, I would go with the Zeiss conquest.  You can get a sunshade for all Zeiss scopes, look on swfa's website.  My recommendation for you would be to go with a Kahles.  I just put a Kahles Helia C 3-12X56 w/a #4 reticle on my Tikka T3 Lite .300 WIN MAG and I couldn't be happier.  You will not be able to tell a difference between the Kahles and the high end Zeiss (victory) and Swaro. The Kahles is easily better than the conquest and well worth the extra money.  For your application go with a Kahles CL 4-12X52 w/the multizer0 function.  It will allow you to set 5 different zero points.  My dad has that same scope on his 7mm rem mag and it is a great scope.  Go with a #4 reticle there too, you will not be disappointed.  This scope is about $1000 off the sample list.  Good Luck. 

P.S.  Where do you guide at?  I would love to plan an elk hunting trip for this year or the next.  Send me some info, contact me with a private message and I will send you my email address.  Thanks.   
Robert
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 08:30

Originally posted by TheDrakeTaker TheDrakeTaker wrote:

In the store you will be hard pressed to notice any difference, I have been through this many times.  You will only notice a difference and be able to see the European scopes shine when you compare them side by side in the field as it gets dark.  Then you will see the difference that you pay for.  Based on the scopes you are considering, I would go with the Zeiss conquest.  You can get a sunshade for all Zeiss scopes, look on swfa's website.  My recommendation for you would be to go with a Kahles.  I just put a Kahles Helia C 3-12X56 w/a #4 reticle on my Tikka T3 Lite .300 WIN MAG and I couldn't be happier.  You will not be able to tell a difference between the Kahles and the high end Zeiss (victory) and Swaro. The Kahles is easily better than the conquest and well worth the extra money.  For your application go with a Kahles CL 4-12X52 w/the multizer0 function.  It will allow you to set 5 different zero points.  My dad has that same scope on his 7mm rem mag and it is a great scope.  Go with a #4 reticle there too, you will not be disappointed.  This scope is about $1000 off the sample list.  Good Luck. 

P.S.  Where do you guide at?  I would love to plan an elk hunting trip for this year or the next.  Send me some info, contact me with a private message and I will send you my email address.  Thanks.   

+1 Excellent advice

You'll be very happy with the Kahles CL.  The Conquest is no slouch either.  The difference I could discern between the two is the resolution of the CL is/was better than my 50mm Conquest.  Both scopes are bright & do well in low light (especially the CL) but the Kahles allows you to pick up finer details in the image you're viewing. 

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 21:36
Hate to disappoint everyone, but I finally decided to get the Burris Black Diamond.  I know I will probably wish I had went higher, but the cost of Avgas just went up, so the cost of flying goes up.  Thanks for the advise.  Some day I will be able to afford a Kahles or Swaro.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 22:11
Helo 18.......................Don`t worry! That Burris Black Diamond is a damn good scope! It will certainly get the job done!!!! A great compliment to your 300 Winny!.....Yeah! The Kahles, Swaros & Schmidt/Benders are outstanding scopes! Absolutely superb! But, you wanna know something? The Burris will do the same thing as they will. You`ll still hit your target, at the same ranges, at the same time of day and under the same weather conditions!....
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 22:31
to bad burris cs dept gets mixed reviews
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic