OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical Optic - 20" AR-15 A4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fnfalguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactical Optic - 20" AR-15 A4
    Posted: September/03/2007 at 09:06

I have a Bushmaster AR-15 A4 Target Model with a removable carrying handle (20" barrel).  I'd like a tactical scope that will allow me close in shots, as well as +/- 300meter shots.  I currently have an M4gery with an Eotech that I love.  However, aside from shooting targets close in I'd like to be able to fully utilize my AR-15 Target Model's capabilities at some extended ranges.  What do you guys think? 

Your comments are greatly appreciated!

FWIW ... I've starting kicking around the idea of an IOR optic with illumination, but I have no prior experience with them.

Edited by Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 09:56
7998 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical Matte finish, first focal plane illuminated MP-8 reticle, 30mm tube, side focus, target knobs, ring marks.   $819.95
I found you a nice lightly used illuminated IOR on the samplelist better hurry before its gone these are a little hard to come by.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 20:06
 I  have a 20 inch Bushmaster flattop probably almost identical to yours with the exact scope "myimaginaryfriend" suggested. I mounted it in Badger ultra high rings for perfect cheekweld. It is a great setup although I would probably be as well served by a fixed 6x with a little less weight and bulk. I love the I.O.R. glass quality and the Mp8 reticle. Also the Badger steel rings simply scream QUALITY!
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 20:21
I don't think you will go wrong with a good variable...I would suggest the ACOG for mansize targets but I think you would be more happy with the flexibility a 2.5-10x scope would offer and would allow you to do things like varmint hunting as well.
Fnfalguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fnfalguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 12:47
As much as I'd like to get an ACOG or other high-end optic on this rifle, I'm fairly constrained to the $400 - $500 price point.  Is there anything even remotely worth while that I could put on top of this rifle, in this price range ????
Supreme Advisor
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 16:32
It isn't really a "tactical scope, for which you stated a preference, but I think a Bushnell 4200 in a 3-9x or so would meet your needs and your budget. If you have to compromise, do so by eliminating the illuminated reticle or by going to somthing with a bit lower magnification. NEVER compromise on glass quality.  BTW, I think your idea of a lower power fixed IOR is right on track too...
Fnfalguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fnfalguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 18:44
I have a Leupold Var X-II 3x9x50 on a 30-06 deer rifle that I don't use much that wouldn't cost me a thing, but I really wanted something a bit smaller and with some illumination.
Supreme Advisor
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 22:06

It sounds as though you could be using it in an offensive/ defensive role against hostiles. (Your location somewhat supports this brilliant hypothesis.)  If so, the "illumination" should probably be in the form of a mounted Surefire weaponlight. Just a thought to consider...

Stay safe.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 10:09
One of the best 3 guns scopes (don't know is this applicable) but the ranges do run from 5 to 300 yds is the IOR 3x25 CQB which you might give a quick check.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 11:47
Originally posted by Fnfalguy Fnfalguy wrote:

I have a Bushmaster AR-15 A4 Target Model with a removable carrying handle (20" barrel).  I'd like a tactical scope that will allow me close in shots, as well as +/- 300meter shots.  I currently have an M4gery with an Eotech that I love.  However, aside from shooting targets close in I'd like to be able to fully utilize my AR-15 Target Model's capabilities at some extended ranges.  What do you guys think? 

Your comments are greatly appreciated!

FWIW ... I've starting kicking around the idea of an IOR optic with illumination, but I have no prior experience with them.

And your in Afghainistan, so who do you work for?

11420 Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight                                                                                    Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 1 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $439.95
More Info... Buy Now

Use with two 30mm rings. This is designed more for hunting than tactical but out to 300 yds the trajectory is fairly flat and forginging on a verticle target deer being built horizontally. 2x isn't so much that it will keep you from working up close and personal and will be quite helpful at the 300 yds.

The other way to go is put a 10x Super Sniper on it for $299 and buy badger rings with the accessory rail to mount the EOTech over the top of the 10x optic piggyback.

30610 Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 30mm Rings                                                                              Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Ultra High (AR-15) (1.4")
SWFA: $167.95
More Info... Buy Now

30633 Badger Ordnance Picatinny Rail Cap                                                                                      Badger Ordnance Picatinny Rail Cap
  • 4 Screw Maximized Rail Cap
SWFA: $84.95
More Info... Buy Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 13:40

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

One of the best 3 guns scopes (don't know is this applicable) but the ranges do run from 5 to 300 yds is the IOR 3x25 CQB which you might give a quick check.

That sounds like a great optic for a LOT af applications.  I take it you own or have used one, Dale?  If so, is there anything you don't like about it?

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 16:44
Got to play with this one and a USO 1x4 with the crescent reticle at a match and was very impressed with both. I think the low power variable IOR has more flexible unless size is important. , the USO reticle like the ACOG must be gotten used to. I also like the 1.5x5 leo with the special purpose reticle, which I got to fill the low end variable need with the intent of the fixed 3 IOR later on. (to be mounted on an FN FAL).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic