OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6.5-284

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6.5-284
    Posted: September/05/2007 at 17:17
what would it take to get remy browning savage ruger etc to chamber production rifles in this fast growing cal??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 17:33
It would take them having a reasonably good assurance that joe average shooter will rush to the store in sufficient numbers to buy their rifles so chambered to make it worth the time and cost of devoting some of their production to that chambering.  The fact is even though the 6.5-284 is gaining in popularity, its popularity is mainly with long range target shooters and not so much with the average hunters who make up the bulk of their rifle sales.  Bottom line, they will offer what sells.  Semi-custom manufacturers like Cooper offer 6.5-284 as well as many other less popular rounds because they don't have the production volume of the majors and a good portion of their work is made to order. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 17:49
i would love to have a remy 700 cdl in a 6.5x.284 for deer hunting.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 18:39
I know in a different post you said, that you wouldn't get a 270.  Why is that?  Seems to me you are giving up a lot of performance with the 6.5x.284.  The number on the 270 are better, and the custom built one I shoot is a tack driver.  Not to mention, it is hard to find ammo, or brass for that, unless you are going to resize a 7mm.  Just curious as to why you like the 6.5 over the 270.  The biggest advantage I can think of is possibly less recoil, but that is about it.  Not knocking your choice, just trying to understand it.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 18:57

actually brass for the 6.5x.284 is mass produced buy hornady norma and nosler to name a few, and really if in a pinch a guy could re-size .284 brass to 6.5mm, not a big deal.

now on to your question, i dont mean to sound like an ass (but its hard for me not too) but you should really look at the ballistics on this round before you state something like "you give up performance with the 6.5x.284", cause if you look at lets say 140 gr bullet the 6.5 actually is a hair faster and hits a hair harder than the .270, not enough anyone could tell the difference but enough for me to tell you your wrong about your statement, so why do i prefer calibers other than anything in the .270's well its quite a simple answer, for the first one i will answer you why i prefer 6.5 over .270, the sectional density on 6.5s is better than most bullets you take a 140 gr 6.5 its density is about the same as 190 gr .308 diameter bullet would and if you step up to a 160 its closer to a 210 gr .308 diameter bullet so that means they hit very hard and recoil less, and the second reason i prefer pretty much any other caliber over the .270's is because of a very limited selection of bullet weights in that caliber, 6.5 is pretty wide 7mm is as well as .308 so i choose to use things like the 6.5 rem mag and also the .280rem and the 300wsm. like i said i dont mean to sound like a dick, because i dont want anyone to think i am hard to talk to, its just me and my thoughts on things, i love to learn from people and being that i have been doing this type of stuff for a while and feel i know a fiar amount about it i also enjoy sharing with people!

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 18:59

Savage has entered the fray with this cartridge.  They now have available the F/TR model that is chambered in 6.5x284.  From what I've read, it is a serious tack driver and is turning heads in the benchrest world. 

I'm sure other manufacturers are following this rifle to see if it's worth their time & expense to add this round to their catalog.  It's a great round with Nosler and HSM producing good factory ammo.  However, it does have a reputation as a barrel-burner (depending on how hot the user is loading, barrels are shot out within 1,000 rounds) though this can be mitigated by loading sensible charge weights.

The cartridge is very accurate but also fantastic as a hunting round.  It's perfect as a deer, antelope, hog or even elk round (with the right load at a reasonable distance).  I'd love to see the mass introduction of this caliber but I seriously doubt we'll see this in a factory Rem. 700, Browning A-Bolt, etc.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 19:18
i can always hope, if not i guess if i wanted one i would have to get it built by someone.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 19:31

I will definitely give you the sectional density.  And of course I realize, that velocity means nothing if you can't get stability and accuracy.  That being said, I have yet to see anyone get 3150fps out of the 6.5x284 on an 140gr bullet.  That is what I am getting out of my 270.  Granted it is a hot load in a custom built rifle.  At 100 yards, I can put 5 shots in a nickle every time on the bench.

Now, that is just my load, and comparing a standard 270 load to the 6.5x.284, the 6.5 wins by a little.  Also nice to learn more about the sectional density.  When it comes hard hitting, I step up to my 300 Win Mag.  Haven't had an animal run far after getting hit with that.  Most drop within a couple steps, or never even move, just drop.  I love the study of ballistics and performance.  Anything you can share pyro, I will soak it up.  Just trying to get an understanding of where you are coming from.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 20:18
i too have a 300 win mag and its such a sweet shooting rifle browning abolt, a guy could shoot it all day! i am not concerned with speed, i care about pin point accuracy, in my hunting rifles that is, if the most accurate load is fast its an added bonus, but like my 6.5 rem mag the most accurate load i came up with pushes a 130 gr accubond @2750 which isnt break neck speed but i dont know of any deer that can run that fast , but then my .280 is pushing a 140 gr accubond @2950 and my 300wsm is pushing a 180 @ 2900 so the 6.5 is the slowest of the bunch and the 300wsm is the most accurate but the little 6.5 isnt to far behind. i agree with you on how hard the 300's hit i havent had anything make it more than a few feet after being hit.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 20:52
I know some guys don't like this gun, and it isn't the most accurate gun I have shot, but I am shooting a Ruger M77 300 Win Mag.  I am still working up loads for it, but one round it seems to like is the hornady heavy mag 180gr at 3100fps.  Now I have to see what I can do with a hand load.  What type of powder are you using for you 300?  I am looking at loading with RL-22 or RL-25.  Also, have you been able to compare the 300 win mag, and the 300 wsm side by side?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:02
huh i own one of each, my wsm loves the r-19 and my win mag gets a heavy dose of imr4831 68 gr of it to be exact  both shoot sierra pro hunter 180grs my .280 is a ruger.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:05

here is a pretty good group with r-19 with my wsm my win mag makes smaller groups yet.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:13
have both and really can't tell much difference in the field, but 6.5s are chosen for longer range is the BC. very few bullets in 270 caliber approach .610, (in fact few in any caliber) being the reason why no good target bullets exist for the 270. at about 200 yds the the 2900 fps loads of the 6.5 have caught up to the 3100 fps 270 and by 1000 yds, well theres quite a difference between a bc of .610 and .455 or there abouts. One of the sweetest things about the cooper in 6.5 is that, being a single shot, it has no magazine restrictions on overall length, which allows the bullet to be set out even past the max. length on a long rifle action. If I were a major ammunition manufact. and were dealing with putting a loooong bullet in a short neck case, I'd be asking gun makers not to make them. (I don't think the load would meet expectations).
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:20

sorry, pyro, read your post wrong.  just saw the load for the 300wsm, and blanked out the first sentence.

anyway, now you guys have me looking at the 6.5-.284 for some long range varmit hunting.  didn't know you could get a bc of .610.  that is impressive.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:30
Dale brings up a very valid point.  Whenever you commercialize any round for mass production, the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute (SAAMI) establishes the standards for commercially available min and max dimensional specs for factory ammo and rifle chambers, as well as max. chamber pressures.  This ensures that all factory ammo will chamber in all factory rifles and will do so within safe limits.  The 6.5-284 is still currently a handloader's cartridge and most major rifle manufacturers aren't likely to chamber a new round until there is enough commercial interest in it such that factory ammo becomes widely available.  There's a big difference in what you can do with a cartridge used in solid bottom, single shot action vs. one constrained by the length limitations of a magazine.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 06:27
id still like to have one in a repeating bolt like on a m700
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
outdoorAg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outdoorAg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 08:10

6.5-284 is best described as a "short action .270"

As a hunter, the rest is what I call 'ballistics gack'. Off the bench and for hitting the gong at 1000yards, debate away. But in the field for deer, hogs, ect - not a damn bit of difference.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 08:34
Originally posted by outdoorAg outdoorAg wrote:

As a hunter, the rest is what I call 'ballistics gack'. Off the bench and for hitting the gong at 1000yards, debate away. But in the field for deer, hogs, ect - not a damn bit of difference.

I would have to agree.  But for me and for pyro6999, it is the fun of having new calibers to work with and shoot.  It is part of the sport and gives us something to look forward to doing different.  I love my 6.5-08, i.e. 260 Remington and yes many other calibers, larger and smaller can do what it can do in the field, but I bought it because it was a little different from what the average guy shoots and plus the rifle was a deal (but was available in other calibers.)  So in essence, you just cannot eliminate the fun factor of different calibers, whether for hunting or benchrest shooting, with the latter sticking to only the best.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 10:33

I does make a difference.  Especially in coyote hunting where the best shot is sometime 400-500 yds.  You better know what your bullet is doing if you want to hit the animal.  On big game at typical distances, 100-200 yds, you are right, no difference, as long as you place your shot.  I have guided for people that have a hard time hitting deer in the vitals at 100 yrds.

Calibers, everyone has their preferrance.  And it is fun to play around with different ones.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:07

actually with the higher b.c and s.d. the 6.5-284 starts to out perform the .270 at around 300yds sure the .270 is a hair better inside most peoples "real comfort zone" so i would disagree with your statement there, the 6.5 is hard to beat, look at the massive .264 win mag and also the 6.5 stw and 6.5wsm and 6.5 ultra mag with the right setup you could take on about any game you wanted and have no worries there is just something about the 6.5 cal that is magical.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic