OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

KB0WZL I Have Some Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 454me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KB0WZL I Have Some Questions
    Posted: September/08/2007 at 19:12

Steve

I have been looking for a scope for several months. The requirements I need are (1) Illuminated reticle, (2) target knobs, (3) side focus, (4) mildot reticle, and (5) variable power.  I have looked at the Leuopolds but was not really impressed with them. They seem to be over priced for my taste. I was thinking of the IOR but then again to get the features I want They are in the $1400. range. I came across the TRS-1 And it seems to fit the need. From all the research I have been reading they are durable and affordable. I am thinking about using the Millet Tactical Rings. I dont see a base listed for my rifle, a Savage 110fp with flat receiver in 300 win mag. I am thinking about using a Warne 1-Piece Tactical Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Scope Base. I have 2 questions for you. (1) Will the medium rings be high enough to clear the bull barrel on the gun? I have seen the rings and just by looking the medium rings appear to be the same height as the Leupold high rings. I have looked on the Millet web sight and can find no information as to scope or ring deminsions. (2) Will I have enough down travel to sight in the scope with the 20 mil base. I want to get into shooting long distances and dont want to run out of scope travel in the up direction. I have been to every store with in 200 miles that is listed as a MIllet supplier but cant find a scope anywhere.  That is the reason for the questions here .  Thank for any replies you send. Gary

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 20:02

Welcome to The OT.

Brother, you may be better served shooting Steve a PM and linking this thread.

Steve does stop in from time to time, but it may be awhile before he sees this.

I PM'd him for ya.

Edited by cheaptrick
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 22:35

Hello all

We are shipping out TRS as fast as possible. supply is limited as we do not want to lower the quality.  

med rings will work well.  

Millett has excellent tactical rings that hold the scope well.

There is 94 moa of movement on the elevation,for the TRS   this should work for you.   As the TRS is a tactical scope there is no come up counters so one of our varmint-target scopes may be a better choice for you for beyond 600 yrds.   I hate to talk someone out of  a sale but if you are serious about long range the V-T is a great scope too.   But also the Varmint and target are not illuminated like the TRS.

Next yr we will have a new long range scope that will be the scope for 500 to 1500 yard shooting.   It will be at the shot show this yr.  

Good shooting

Steve

Edited by KB0WZL
Steve
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2007 at 00:54

Keep in mind, there is no free lunch when it comes to optics.  The Leupold and IOR are priced in that range because of the higher manufacturing cost of a quality scope with all the bells and whistles that you want.  Personally, I would see what features that I could live without and spend my money on a scope of higher quality than the Millett.  Take a look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 (30mm).  It has everything you are looking for but the Illuminated reticle.  At $570 it is not all that much more than the TRS.  The step up in quality would defineately be worth the difference in price (less than $200). 

ranburr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2007 at 16:10
Originally posted by KB0WZL KB0WZL wrote:

Next yr we will have a new long range scope that will be the scope for 500 to 1500 yard shooting.   It will be at the shot show this yr.  

Good shooting

Steve

Will this new scope will have 1/4 MOA clicks instead of those 1/8 clicks??? 

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2007 at 21:51
 Not impressed. Think I will stick with my Leupolds. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 06:27

Guys, some of you are gonna be biased no matter what a company other than your favorite does but that don't mean you're opinion is anything more than someone else.

WELCOME 454 and do some serious unbiased research before you buy, use the seach function, for more info bro. 

Edited by cheaptrick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 06:31

Who are you referring too, cyborg??

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 06:46

Let me clarify this Cheaptrick,

Yes there are some real crap scopes on the market, I like alot of you have owned a few, more than I care to admit actually, I'd love to have that money back. So lets just say that if someone is looking for value below 500 dollars, super sniper, bushnell, millett are all well worth the money spent and then some. as far as singling out someone for target practice, my statement is a generalization, so if anyone takes offense, they must be guilty of doing so. Personally I like to keep an open mind, do the research and save myself the headaches, and money if possible.      

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 07:00
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

As far as singling out someone for target practice, my statement is a generalization, so if anyone takes offense, they must be guilty of doing so.

Personally I like to keep an open mind, do the research and save myself the headaches, and money if possible.      

Excuse me for not welcoming you to Optics Talk in your first post.

Welcome!!

Secondly, I don't feel anyone has "targeted" Millet or Steve in this thread. 

Hell, I even PM'd Steve telling him a guy had a question about one of his scopes....

Ufriend said he'd stick with Leupolds and I asked Steve if the new scopes would still have the 1/8 MOA clicks or would they be 1/4 clicks.

I personally would prefer 1/4 MOA clicks to shoot distance, as would MOST other distance shooters I can think of.

Ranburr just flat out don't like Millet......

And thirdly, I took the liberty of editing your first post because I felt it was profane.

Edited by cheaptrick
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 07:48

Thanks Cheaptrick,

Yeah I see it was edited, I don't see where there was a problem with what was said, but then again, I'm not the most tactful person, I tend to tell it like it is. Mainly there are alot of people here that don't have all the wasted time and money that several of us do. and it is human nature to have a bias towards one thing or another, Army, Navy Airforce, Marines Etc. all the way down to the brand of toilet paper, having been in the Army myself, some things are decided for you, didn't like that part of it at all. We shoulda finished the job when I was there in '91(Iraq) We wouldn't have the problems we do now, then again I have my opinions too. So when people who carry the respect that some of you older posters (not age) dismiss some brands due to opinion, it may affect the purchase of someone else, that may be completely satisfied with what others may see as less.

Not aimed at you Cheaptrick, you have atleast as far as I can tell been fairly openminded, as has been the Darklord. Just to name some of the ones, but not all. 

Personally I love IOR, Leo, Bushy, can't wait for the new Supers to come out, and my Countersniper, and yes I happen to own a Millett TRS, real nice scope especially for the duckage.

So Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for watching my back too, though I don't think it was necessary. By the way I like the fact that 5/8 of an inch is possible @ 500 Yrds, with the 1/8, my personal pref. I love exact impact, but I can see how the knob turning can be tedious.

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 08:17
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Thanks Cheaptrick,

Yeah I see it was edited, I don't see where there was a problem with what was said, but then again, I'm not the most tactful person, I tend to tell it like it is.

Either am I tactful, so lets cut to the chase, shall we?

You've got your opinions and others have theirs. Optics are VERY subjective, so while one person may think an optic is great, another might not like as much or at all.

No harm, no foul.  No bad guy, no good guy. Just the way it is.....(Shrug)

Please continue to stay around and contribute. We are fortunate to have a very diverse and informed membership here.

But be advised.... I don't need your approval on what I do around here and I wasn't "watching your back" in my previous comments.

I'm all about folks coming in here to contribute and learn in a friendly enviorment.

No one has learned more here than myself.

Thank you for your military service and your commentary.

Out.....

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 08:27

I think we all know who cyborg was refering to  but the thread did start out with some blatant leupold bashing:

" I have been looking for a scope for several months. The requirements I need are (1) Illuminated reticle, (2) target knobs, (3) side focus, (4) mildot reticle, and (5) variable power.  I have looked at the Leuopolds but was not really impressed with them. They seem to be over priced for my taste...."

I simply have the opinion that Leupold makes a good product --- a consistently reliable product, and while it may not be the worlds best Kahles / Swarvo glass it is certainly useable for the purpose for which it is designed and bears a price tag that makes it look like a bargain if you lay it next to a Schmidt Bender or Zeiss Diavari / Hensoldt and some of the new 40mm IOR's.  Granted the price is rather high but the price on a lot of things seems high as I remember buying gas for .19 cents a gallon in high school.  

I welcome all of you to our educated discussion and if you are having good results with Millett TRS and can add additional input of value so much the better. There is room here for more than one opinion and my opinion is that Leupold provides a consistent - reliable product that is quite useful and meets the stated requirements with the exception solely of PRICE.  Not every scope I have is high in price either so  -- find value where you can and tell us how it holds up for you in the real world.   I happen to have a couple of $30 tasco 3-9x40 that seem to be working quite well  one is on a .375 H&H so I understand value is where you find it, but that doesnt make Leupold evil because they are not in your price range.

P.S. I have some Leupold scopes that have lasted a lifetime.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 09:12

I agree that Leos are good, no question there, every scope should be atleast that good, but then we'd all be discussing toilet paper, Man alive!!

Hey Cheaptrick, thanks for your comments, but I wasn't implying that my approval was something you wanted or needed for that matter, just trying to give you some earned respect. You either like it or not, your choice man. It doesn't hurt my feelings or my pride either way. So if you took any offense to anything I've said, none was intended. and that should clear that up, if not I don't know what else to say. 

No I wasn't aiming at anyone, or referring to anyone in particular, and I agree that some of the Leos are a bit overpriced. Especially when compared to some other scopes in their price range, Thats fine with me, I'd prefer charmin over some other brands, especially the paper in the MRE packs,

Charmin costs more but both do the job, and end up in the same place. 

Cyborg
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 09:38

Hello

the new long range scope will have 1/4 moa clicks and a lot of other features.  

good to see the ol op talk is still a hot place of insight and opion.  

good shooting

steve

Steve
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 09:49

By the way 454,

good choice of rifle, I love my Savages, good accurate, and certainly they are a bargain.

Cyborg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 14:25
Now I am a little confused.  How does the phrase "I have looked at the Leuopolds but was not really impressed with them. They seem to be over priced for my taste...." constitute Leupold bashing?

The guy never called Leupold anything bad.  He did not like them and thought they were overpriced (incidentally, I very much agree they are overpriced).  He did not bash Leupold in any way shape or form that I can fathom.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 15:08

Cyborg, no apology necessary.

We cool......

Again, welcome aboard.

Look forward to seeing your newest incantation, Steve.

Can you divulge any more specifics about your new tactical scope?

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 15:28

Thanks again Cheaptrick, Lots of knowledge in here. Glad were cool.

Yes Steve, please if you can I'd like to know also. More choices is a good thing!! 

Cyborg
454me View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 454me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 18:24
Thanks for all the replies. I should probably have clarified the Leupold statement. When I bought my rifle a Savage 110fp it was my first attempt at getting a long range rifle. I added a Ultimate Sniper Stock to lessen the recoil. I bought a cheap Bsa scope that is 8X32X44. It is clear as far as I can tell and when I examined a $1400 Leuopld scope in a Bass Pro Shop it didnt seem any brighter or different than the one I have on the rifle now. I know that it would be superior on the rifle. I am sure it would track better, it should since it cost 14 times as much. I have had 2 problems with the Bsa. Its sometimes too powerful and would be nice to cut it back a little. I do like being able to see the holes in the target from long ranges though. The other problem Is I cant see the reticle when the light is low. When shooting in SC at my son in laws range it was so dark I couldnt see the target with the naked eye. We put the truck headlights on the paper and I shot with no problems. My son in law told me he had put a piece of steel 4 inches wide 8 inches tall on the ground by the target stand. He said it was 2 feet lower than the paper and 8 inches to the left. When I came off the lighted paper I couldnt see the reticle. I had to move back to the paper and calculate where I was when off the paper. Three shots and three clangs told me I was guessing correct. Now that was only at 100 yards but then I am still learning. Thanks Steve for the info on the medium rings I am ordering either tonight or tomorrow depending on if they are open late. I think the Millet will fix both problems.
HEY! I didn't do it, it was like that when I got here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic