OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 700P

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sig229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 700P
    Posted: September/20/2007 at 21:10

I am sure this question has been asked a million times, but here is one million and one:  What is the best scope for a Rem 700P.  Here are the details - I am willing to spend up to $1500 for scope, mounts and rings.  I am not a brand junkie and dont necessarily want to spend $1500, that is just what I have to work with.  The rifle is a Rem 700P in .308.  I want a mil-dot reticle.  It does not have to be illuminated but if it is then thats a bonus.  I am not sure if I want 1/4 or 1 moa adjustments.  I will be shooting 168gr Federal Gold medal match SBTHP.  I also do not need it to have 20 power magnification.  12x would be more than sufficient.  Thanks in advance for all of your replies and suggestions.  Also if you want to throw in some advise on mounts and rings I wont complain.  If you mention badger or whatever please specify model and height.

Edited by sig229
The best way to change a person's mind is with a rock.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 07:45
LEU60000 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                           Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,214.95
More Info...

LEU60035 Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                           Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • 1st Focal Plane Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M3 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,244.95
More Info...

30606 Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 1 Piece Rail                                                                            Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 1 Piece Rail
  • Matte
  • Remington 700 Short Action
  • 20 MOA
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now

30620 Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 30mm Rings                                                                              Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium (.885")
SWFA: $167.95
More Info... Buy Now

In the given price range this is one of the most common choices Leupold mark 4 scope and Badger rings and base. There are some other viable choices IOR makes some scopes with better glass but the leupolds are U.S. made and that makes any service issues much easier to deal with and the mechanical workings of these are quite good. Unless you spend a lot more money and go Nightforce, U. S. Optics(the pick of the litter) or S&B ($$$$)  the choice comes down to do you want FFP or do you want the illuminated reticle pick one not both.  Soon - well possibly soon - well perhaps some day the NEW 6.5-20 FFP will be made and hoopefully available untill then  the only other FFP is the 8.5-25x50 and that is just too much power on the low end the be workable for most situations. The 4.5-14x50 is really the perfect power range as far as I am concerned 4-16 would

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sig229 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sig229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2007 at 12:59
Urimaginaryfrnd - Thanks for the awesome info.  I would like more info on the U.S. Optics scopes, but I dont see them listed on the website.  Where can I find those?
bigant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2007 at 22:39
fContact GAP....They have/did have US Optic SN3's 1.8-10x37 with GAP ret, ILLum  for 1560 delivered and I believe its calibrated for the 308
sig229 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sig229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 14:55
bigant - thanks for the info.  I will see what they say.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic