OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper Mounting Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BS Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper Mounting Question
    Posted: October/06/2004 at 13:46

Greetings,

My Super Sniper arrived from SWFA yesterday and I have a mounting question for you optics gurus out there.

I'm mounting the Super Sniper on a Remington model 700 LTR in .308 which is currently wearing a Leupold base and an older Leupold model VX II.  I'm going to have to acquire larger rings to accomodate the new scope, so my question is what would be a good ring height for the Super Sniper/700 LTR setup?  Thanks. 

Semper Fi
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2004 at 14:18
Are you sticking with the Leupold Standard base?

Edited by Boomholzer
BS Smith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BS Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2004 at 14:22
Originally posted by Boomholzer Boomholzer wrote:

Are you sticking with the Leupold Standard base?

If at all possible, but I'm not married to the idea.  Do you have a suggestion for a different ring/base combination?
Semper Fi
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2004 at 15:36

Your call,

you could opt for a stronger picantinny rail like the Leupold MK4 or better yet from Badger or TPS.

I think that with your Leupold Standard mount that the medium height rings would be the best choice between 42mm objective clearance (with room for flip-up caps) and cheek weld.

Edited by Boomholzer
BS Smith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BS Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2004 at 15:44
Originally posted by Boomholzer Boomholzer wrote:

Your call,

you could opt for a stronger picantinny rail like the Leupold MK4 or better yet from Badger or TPS.

I think that with your Leupold Standard mount that the medium height rings would be the best choice between objective clearance and cheek weld.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to upgrade to a picantinny rail for more versatility.  Thank for the ring information.
Semper Fi
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 11:55
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 16:15

i like chris's idea.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
nodark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 17:21

a Ken Farrell base is 'bout half the price

I think Badger Ordnance is a bit too proud of their products

Lost in Harlingen...
Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 16:44
hey guys... i have finally decided that a 10 x fixed is the way i wanan go .... and bein that money is extremely tight these days i have decided to go super sniper... what scope rings work best to  get the 10X  as low as possible...  and would u see any advantage of going side foacus vs the rear focus to justify the 100 dollar price diff
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 16:48

get the medium badgers, and i dont see paying the extra money for the side focus, and ive heard that the side focus models arent as repeatable, and are looser, but i cant state for sure.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 23:05
what about the leupold mark 4 rings..... the finsih looks better than the badger rings...  little cheaper as well anyone ever use them>? im already skimpin out on the scope and i dont really want to skimp out on the rings... but the leupolds seem nice...
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 09:55

Regardless of how good the bases are it is those crazy little screws that count. Hand sand using wet oil the bases of the mounts until they appear smooth. Then using Dye Chem writing marker from Brownells color the base bottoms. Now rub them gently along the bore axis at the point of mounting to get the high points. Work these down with the paper. Apply Loktite BLACK to the entire underside of the bases you have chosen and begin the torquing sequence. If you don't have a torque wrench, carefully hold the driver in the slot and apply torque when you feel resistence, tap the top of the driver with a 2 oz. ball peen. this will take the slop out of the screw and tap threads and set the base screws. Do not allow to dry yet, put the rings and scope on immediately so that any additional torque in the miss-alignment and the tolerence relief in the entire set up will torque against the base now, before the Black loctite sets up. Wait 24 hrs. for set up. Now try pry the gun of the table you left it on because you forgot to clean up the excess Black loctite.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 09:41
Mark 4 Leupold rings and bases are excellent and will work fine.  There is no performance difference between the side and rear parallax models.  I would save the money and go with the rear.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 17:20

if somebody is going to pay for the mk4 rings/bases, i dont see why they wouldnt pay the extra few bucks for the badger rings. i dont see any need for anything better than the leupold bases though, i would jsut rather have the better rings.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic