OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help with scope purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasmf24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with scope purchase
    Posted: September/25/2007 at 13:46

I am having a hard time deciding on which scope to buy.  I want to get the Nikon Buckmaster or the Bushnell 3200 illuminated, both 3x9x40, and both are the same price.  Of THESE two which would be recommended?  Mostly used for north east deer hunting on a .308.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 13:59
Welcome to OT, I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12X50 on my old 30.06.  It is a decent scope.  Of those two I would get the Nikon.  However, I would strongly recommend you stepping up and getting a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40 for $100 more.  That would be a serious step up in optics and well worth the extra money.  You will not be sorry for spending the extra money.  Good luck.  

Edited by TheDrakeTaker
Robert
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 14:11
I have a Nikon Monarch 2.5X8 & an Elite 4200 3X9!............You can`t go wrong with either of your two choices! But, for the same price, I would prefer the 3200. If you feel that your hunting will be before or after normal hunting hours under dark conditions, the 3200 w/firefly would be the better choice (comes with a free flashlite too)...........In my view, the glass on the 3200 would be about the same as the Buckmaster. And certainly with the Rainguard (same as on the 4200), you can be rest assured that you will never lose a shot because of any weather condition. Your lenses will always remain clear!...........Have you looked through both yet? If not, that is what you should do if possible. In any event, I`d go with the 3200!  
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 14:27
+10 for the DrakeTaker!!!..................If you can, go with the Elite 4200 in the 3X9!!,,,,,I gots one!!!.....The optics on the 4200 for clarity and resolution = the Zeiss Conquest. Though the Zeiss is a fraction brighter, it won`t make any difference in the hunting fields. Also, I found its optics to be slightly better than the VX111........At $259, on this site if I`m not mistaken, the Elite 4200 is the best value for the dollar on the market. At that price, when you consider its construction, durability, quality in optics and the Rainguard, no other scope for the money will exceed the Elite 4200! ................IMO, better to go with better optics and forego the firefly! 
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 15:50

I would second the 4200 or this choice for $218

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9244-218-nikon-3-9x40-monarch-ucc-rif lescope.aspx

Be sure and get good base and rings and mount or have the scope properly mounted on you rifle, lots of discussion on the board here on mounting scopes. If it is off just a little the shot will be off a lot at distance.

Welcome to optics talk a lot of good info available here from good people

Good shooting

Duce

Duce
Jasmf24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasmf24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 16:01

I will look into the 4200, but I was planning on buying the scope in the next two days for the weekend.  So unfortunately I can’t get it online.  At the local hunting/ shooting retailers they have the 3200 and the Buckmaster in stock.  I will expand my search for the 4200 and if it is priced reasonable I will get it.  As a back up, which is better the 3200 or Buckmaster.  Thanks to all who replied.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 16:10

Just my 2 cents but I would call SWFA ( provides this site) and see if you can get it shipped if you get the buckmaster or 3200 then look through the 4200 or Monarch you will not be happy there is a big difference & and I own a buckmaster and a Monarch. The Monarch and 4200 are much better for the money.

Good luck

Duce

Duce
snafu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 16:23
the OP is asking just for comments between the two he listed - Buckmaster vs 3200.  He knows there are better scopes out there, but he's in a hurry and those 2 are available to him locally...

I can't comment on either one, but hopefully some members here can help him....

edit:  oops.  didn't noticed the OP decided on a poll instead....

Edited by snafu
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 18:30
Snafu...............Welcome aboard!..... Along with our advice regarding a poster`s original choices, we sometimes offer additional alternatives and explain why. Maybe we can suggest better alternatives that were not thought of by the poster. If those alternatives work better, then all the more reason to suggest them!.....If someone`s choice is at a certain price point and for an additional $50 or $100, they can buy a better product that is well worth the increase, I for one will suggest that product and explain why. Then it is their decision as to what they select..... If I were a poster seeking advice, I would want as many alternatives as possible. Just maybe, the advice I received would be better than my own original plan and therefore better for me in the long run!!!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 19:02
Great point squeeze, when I first came to this site, I was interested in buying a Nikon Monarch or a Luepold vxIII.  The Zeiss Conquest was mentioned to me, as an alternative, then eventually Kahles was mentioned to me. (whom I had never heard of before b/c I was a noobie before I started to learn on here)  I went with Kahles, and have never looked back.
Robert
snafu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 19:19
Originally posted by Jasmf24 Jasmf24 wrote:

Of THESE two ...

yep, I agree.  but since he seems to have expected members to recommend other stuff, he capitalized his request...

anyway, thanks for the welcome.  I found this board when I was looking into SS variables...  Now after finding this place, I discovered Falcon Optics... but their variables aren't available yet... and neither is SS.... doh !!

ok, back to our regular scheduled topic...

Jasmf24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasmf24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 23:11
Thanks for all the info.  I was able to pick up a Bushnell 4200 from this site w/ express shiping.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 01:37
You will surely enjoy your 4200! A very wise choice for the bucks and for your .308!!! Did you get the 3X9? That be my baby too!!!!!   
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 07:35

Very good choice you will be much happier with the 4200

Duce

Duce
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 07:53

GREAT scope for the money - you will be thrilled.

J

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 11:38
Good decision, hope all goes well.
Robert
Gars View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 10:35

Originally posted by snafu snafu wrote:

the OP is asking just for comments between the two he listed - Buckmaster vs 3200.  He knows there are better scopes out there, but he's in a hurry and those 2 are available to him locally...

I can't comment on either one, but hopefully some members here can help him....

edit:  oops.  didn't noticed the OP decided on a poll instead....

So factor in the price at SWFA for the 4200 with overnight/2 day shipping vs buying the scope locally with tax.

Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic