OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10x40 Hunting Binos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10x40 Hunting Binos
    Posted: October/01/2007 at 23:03

Hi everyone.

I'd appreciate your advise in choosing a bino for mountain deer hunting. What i'm looking for is a)strength, bino should stay fit in spite of blows, water etc. 2) ability to see in low light, as I also do some moonlight boar hunting (legal here) 3) not very heavy. My options so far are 1) Minox BV 10x42 $290, 2)Steiner Predator Pro 10x40 $300, 3)Pentax DCF sp 10x43 $600. 

I'm aware the Pentax is 100% more expensive ¿in this particular case, is it worth the difference?

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 05:49

Argie: I have no experience with the other two but the Pentax DCF SP is a very fine binocular.  The quote "you get what you pay for" definitly applies in optics. That is not to say that you can't find deals out there but generally that applies.  The Pentax DCF SP series is about as nice as you can get under the $800 range and even then they are close to even more expensive binoculars not much of a difference. If it was me, I would lean towards the DCF or I would look very hard for a deal such as here on this web sites store and go to the sample list and look at Kahles.

Good luck

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 07:29

Argie -

If you really need a 10x binocular for hunting, you should plan on spending $$$ closer to $600.  Most 10x roof prism binoculars in the sub $400-$500 range are no good.  It is much more difficult to manufacture a 10x than an 8x with the same optical quality.  On your list, Pentax would be the best choice.  I would also recommend the samplelist...you could probably get a 10x binocular that SWFA sells for $900+ in the $600 range there.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2007 at 19:36
Those look OK, but Steiners tend to be dim.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 16:16
Argie,

Vortex Viper 10x42mm

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/
article/0,13355,1651827_31,00.html

Edited by Bird Watcher
Argie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 16:24
Thanks for your answers. But unfortunately I'm restricted to a limited number of brands 'cause not all companies accept foreign credit cards and ship to a USA address. I'm trying to get the Pentax, otherwise I' m in doubt between the Nikon ATB 10x42 and the Steiner Predator Pro 10x40.
windstrings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 11:55
Argie, I just chatted with Cabelas and they accept CC's from Argentina and ship there too!

Some binoc's I have recently discovered seem to be equal to the  

Swarovski's SCL Body with the EL Lenses at less than half the price!

I spent about an hour looking through every binoc's they had and to my amazement, these beat the anything close to their price range!

I did not compare with Zeiss, but wished I had.... but according to the salesman, these beat the Zeiss too both in brightness and clarity.. but I cannot confirm that myself as I  have posted a question about that myself.

In case your wondering, I also looked at their 12 X 50 version of the EO and the 10 X 42's beat both it both in brightness and field of view.

If you check out the reviews "the link under the customer ratings", people are ecstatic with them....

They have a "lifetime " warranty since they are through Cabelas's..... I'm challenged to find a better buy so far!

Edited by windstrings
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 12:12
Originally posted by Tero Tero wrote:

Those look OK, but Steiners tend to be dim.

I agree... I've had a pair of 8 X 30 military marine Steiners for about 10  years.

I've always loved them because they put to shame the cheap binoc's I've always looked through in the past, but recently as I was about to purchase thier 10 X 50 model of the marine version and I was amazed at how "dim" or dull they were compared to Leopold's and many others.

IN fact, I found no others in that price range that were as dimm.... almost like a faint smoke in the air compared to looking through the others.

I noticed you wanted them to be light too... .these are a little heavy for their size, but a very nice feel.

Edited by windstrings
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 13:53
I think the salesman from Cabelas is smoking crack. The Cabelas Euro is made for them by Meopta, equivalent to their Meostar's which are very good bino's. There is no affiliation with Cabelas, Swarovski or Zeiss in that bino.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 14:07
The Meopta do indeed look alot like the other when looking at the comparisons, but many look alike... just not exactly.

Edited by windstrings
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 14:17
Meopta is probably one of the largest Europeon OEM's so it is very possible that Swarovski gets "parts" from them, but that is a guess on my part. It is getting more difficult to find out just where optics manufactures are sourcing their parts from these days. I can asure you that Meopta is not getting lenses from Swarovski or Zeiss to manufacture the Euro for Cabelas. If you look at the Minnox HG series you would think that this is a German made binocular, however, it is assembled in Japan using German parts to keep costs down. Nothing wrong with that if I'm the consumer who reaps the cost savings benefit.
Argie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 17:29

Thanks everyone!

I finally got what I think is  a good price in Ebay (u$s 438 postage included) and got the Pentax DCF Sp 10x43. Although I'm no expert, they look crisp and clear and are a big step from the Steiner Mil&Mar. 8x30 I previously used. I'm waiting for the next hunt to try them in the field. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 07:11

Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I think the salesman from Cabelas is smoking crack.

I love Cabelas (the company) -- they offer so much cool hunting gear -- but they either need to do a better job of training their employees in the products they sell, or tell them to shut the $#%& up when asked a question they don't know the answer to, because I've never heard so much BS in my life as I did during my last 2 visits to the gun and optics counters.  For example, during my last visit there, I "learned" that the Cabelas Euro binocular is fully the equal of the Swaro EL because, "it's a little known fact" that Swarovski owns Meopta, and Meopta makes all of Swaro's binos for them

At the gun counter, I learned that Marlin rimfire rifles are the most accurate rifles available because of their revolutionary "Micro-Groove" rifling!  The guy who made that brilliant statement actually had a potential customer talked out of buying several other higher end rimfires  -- including a Cooper  -- because they didn't have the MG rifling!  During the same visit, I heard another salesman tell a customer that the Leupold Rifleman scope was WAY better than the Nikon Monarch and Elite 4200!

I think I need to visit Cabelas more often, because I learn valuable new facts each time!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 07:13
A Leupold Rifleman is not better then a Monarch or an Elite 4200????
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 10:07
I stopped asking questions at Cabelas awhile back. Their sales folks are very pleasentand go out of their way to help, however, it is that type of info that leaves alot to be desired. It does, however, provide folks like us with new mateial for when we get the humorous itch.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 10:43
Cabela Euro binoculars are made by Meopta.  No ties to Swarovski whatsoever.

Also, this forum is owned by SWFA, it is probably impolite to link their competitor's website from this forum.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 11:03
So right you are.... I fixed my links....

Not that it really matters, but on that competitors Forum, I found a few that balanced the  tables with links to SWFA...... It all settles in the wash.

Edited by windstrings
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 11:05
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I love Cabelas (the company) -- they offer so much cool hunting gear -- but they either need to do a better job of training their employees in the products they sell, or tell them to shut the $#%& up when asked a question they don't know the answer to, because I've never heard so much BS in my life as I did during my last 2 visits to the gun and optics counters.  For example, during my last visit there, I "learned" that the Cabelas Euro binocular is fully the equal of the Swaro EL because, "it's a little known fact" that Swarovski owns Meopta, and Meopta makes all of Swaro's binos for them

I believe thats the same story I got at the Fort Worth Store..... humm.... that makes me think they either believe it because they are taught that from thier superiors, or its rumor.

Its hard to know whats the truth out there... its obvious the big companies aren't going to openly release their secrets as they too desire to get and manufacture their parts the cheapest way possible without compromising quality "hopefully".

Buy the "Kroger" brand... you may be getting Hunts?

Edited by windstrings
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 15:49
Originally posted by windstrings windstrings wrote:

I believe thats the same story I got at the Fort Worth Store..... humm.... that makes me think they either believe it because they are taught that from thier superiors, or its rumor.

Its hard to know whats the truth out there... its obvious the big companies aren't going to openly release their secrets as they too desire to get and manufacture their parts the cheapest way possible without compromising quality "hopefully".

Buy the "Kroger" brand... you may be getting Hunts?

Yes, in fact I'm referring to the Ft. Worth store!

Ilya, I'm aware that Meopta makes the Euro binos for Cabelas, but I wasn't aware of the interesting factoid that Swaro owns Meopta and Meopta makes all of Swaro's binos for them!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 07:01

Just try asking about and buying home appliances from Best Buy. You will learn the true definition of "uneducated arrogant disorganized idiotic don't know what they sell sales clerks".  They actuallly have a name for them there: Geek Squad.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic