OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

$300-$350 50mm????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashfirepm53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $300-$350 50mm????
    Posted: October/09/2004 at 12:06
I think the more I read the more confused I get.Alot of opinions out there but I think most are  biased and have a loyality to a certain brand.Of those here that HAVE compared different brands, this is my question.I hunt deer and those last few minutes of light are critical esp. in the bottoms.Although overall quality, clarity and brightness are all concerns of mine what scope will give me the most brightness at the end of the day?Something in the $300-$350 range.3x9 or 4x14 range in a 50mm.thanks.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 13:34

In that Price range Probably a Burris Fullfield II.  If you drop to a 40mm objective you can get better/brighter optics for the money.

ranburr

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 14:46

i ditto ranburr, and whats your reason for wanting a 50mm???

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
crashfirepm53 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashfirepm53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 15:59
I thought  that a 50mm would draw more light.Is this not correct assuming all other things are equal?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashfirepm53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 16:01
Any examples of better/brighter in that price range oe less?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 16:02

it wont make the scope all that much brighter, i dont notice any difference in brightness when i compare a scope with a 40mm, against a 50mm. to me, its not worht the difference in price, and you have to mount them higher, and its more uncomfortable to shoot.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 16:08

check your private messenger.

cory

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 09:18
The biggest advantage to 50 mm is in a 30 mm tube and a variable. This is a catch up factor! A high quality fixed power in 40 or less will give you more light at that magnification. In using the larger objective, and the higher mounts, you lose a thing called the cheek weld, which allows for last second correction of the sight picture. (as redneck mentioned above).
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashfirepm53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 13:53
I don't think the higher mounts will affect me as much.I'm 6' 7'' tall.Why do you see all these sniper rifles with 56mm and 75mm lens? I just want to make sure I understand this stuff.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 14:01

wheres the 75mm lens from, if you referring to the ATN, the us military wouldnt use that crap. and theres not all that many 56mm's out there either.

cory

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashfirepm53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 14:06
Well i guess I was really just generalizing.I see alot of scopes and they make you think there is a benifit to the "bigger is better"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 17:30
High mounts refer to the distance above the bore line that the center of axis of the scope will be measured from. To low of a mount will collide the bell with the barrel. In order to get your eye ball you will have to raise your cheek of the the stock off the gun with higher mounts (unless the gun is specifically designed for this like an AR-15 or trap gun). A real no no.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 17:48

another great point dale. and the bore line to scope line will throw off bullet drop compensators aswell.

cory

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 09:12

You have picked a 50mm scope because you feel it is brighter.  A larger objective lens does not necessarily mean that the scope will be brighter. 50mm scopes are not brighter than 40mm scopes.  It is all relative to what power the scope is on.   It is easier to explain using a fixed power scope.   People up to around 40 can perceive around a 7mm exit pupil from the scope, because that is the maximum diameter of their pupil in low light or darkness.  So ideally you would want a scope that transmits a 7mm exit pupil, the only problem is how do you know what its transmitting (its easy).  Just divide the objective lens size by the power and the answer is the exit pupil or the amount of light that is coming out of the back of the scope. ie: a 6x42 scope transmits a perfect 7mm exit pupil (that's why they make scopes and binoculars in strange numbers like 8x56, 6x42, and 9x63.  The formula is a little different for a variable scope, you would take the objective lens size and divide it by 7 to determine what power to put your scope on for a 7mm exit pupil (the most your eye can handle). ie: a 3-10x40 would need to be set on 5.7x to produce the desired 7mm exit pupil. A 3.5-10x50 would need to be set on about 7.1x to get a 7mm exit pupil. You see, these two scopes 40mm and 50mm are just as bright, they just do it on different powers.  A larger objective allows you to use your scope on a higher power and still have perfect light gathering.  A 3-12x56 transmits perfect light on 8x.  A 1.5-5x20 does it on 2.9x.  First decide what power you need for what you are doing, then multiply that by 7 and the answer will be the size of objective lens you will need.

All of these formulas for producing the same light with different powered scopes are only relevant if you are comparing scopes from the same manufacturer and the same models.  You can't get a BSA 3-9x50 and set it on 7x and expect it to be just as bright as a Leupold 3-9x50, because it is the glass and coatings that primarily determine the scopes ability to transmit light to your eye efficiently.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashfirepm53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 11:11

A larger objective allows you to use your scope on a higher power and still have perfect light gathering.

Ok so at higher power the larger scope should continually have more light however little more that may be.Correct?

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 11:21

A 3-9x40 transmits the desired 7mm exit pupil on 5.7x (40/7=5.71)

A 3-9x50 transmits the desired 7mm exit pupil on 7.1x (50/7=7.1)

A 3-9x56 transmits the desired 7mm exit pupil on 8x (56/7=8)

Binoculars are easier to understand because they are mostly fixed powers.   Take a 7x50 binocular and divide the objective lens by the power and the answer is how much light is coming out of the ocular lenses in millimeters.  IE: 50/7=7, so a 7x50 is considered to be optically correct because of its 7mm exit pupil.  U.S. troops are issued 7x50's for this reason.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 16:59

or, look at what dale said, a fixed power will giive you more light transmitted to the eye, because of les peices of glass the light has to travel through. a fixed 4x would be awesome.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic