OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody tried the Leica Ultravid HD’s yet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
leica man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leica man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody tried the Leica Ultravid HD’s yet
    Posted: August/12/2008 at 16:24
these optics kick a$$
I flat out catch trout
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2008 at 22:20
Originally posted by etc etc wrote:

Ted,

Sounds good.,

ETC, here's a link to Ted's (RifleDude's) Excellent Adventure (Review). Oh%20Yea%20Baby

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11206

Edited by mike650 - July/06/2008 at 17:53
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
etc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2008 at 21:31
Ted,

Sounds good.,
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 19:03
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

BTW, I just purchased a new 8X32 Ultravid HD yesterday.  It came with the 10-year warranty card, so I'm going to call Leica and verify that the new warranty changes apply to my binos.  I'll post a review once I have some time behind them.

Well, how are they????

Roy

They are very nice, as one would expect from a binocular in this class.  They aren't without flaws, but considering how compact they are, they deliver very bright, tack sharp, high contrast images you wouldn't expect from a 32mm binocular.  I will test them thoroughly this weekend and post a full review.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 17:17

BTW, I just purchased a new 8X32 Ultravid HD yesterday.  It came with the 10-year warranty card, so I'm going to call Leica and verify that the new warranty changes apply to my binos.  I'll post a review once I have some time behind them.

Well, how are they????

Roy
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 15:23

I'm going to call Leica and verify that the new warranty changes apply to my binos.

Following up on this, I did call Leica, and they confirmed everything that Chris stated in his post concerning the return to lifetime warranty on materials and workmanship for US customers.  All optics that came with a 10-year warranty card are now covered by the lifetime warranty.  This is good news!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 23:01
I think the reason behind the 10 yr warranty is because this is pretty much becoming the the European standard. Apparently 30 yr warranties are becoming very costly and I would not be surprised to see other euro companies following suit. In any event this will not help Leica sales with their near two thousand dollar price tags. For me, it's a non issue because they are located 10 minutes from my house. You know what they say about the squeaky wheel- it gets oiled one way or they other. Also, I believe they are using FL type lenses in the Ultravid HD's. I believe fluorite really starts OT show it's benefit in lenses much larger than those used in bino configurations, meaning spotting scopes. Koshkin, would be the best person to ask that question of however. On a side note, last year I spent nearly an hour with a friend of mine at Leica-Camera USA comparing Ultravids/Tinovids/Geovids and Trinovids and I can say that you had to spend lots of time seeing the subtle differences. In short, my preference was the Ultravid cause they felt best in my hands. The others simply had too much heft for my liking. The focusing wheel ratio was a tad slow for my liking as well, although they all had long focus windows.

Roy

Edited by Roy Finn - April/18/2008 at 23:18
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 06:45
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 06:42
pahuntnut,
It looks like your concerns may be over.  It appears that Leica may have heard from customers and changed their lackluster warranty.

See this thread from Chris Farris:

Leica was being constrained by changes in the laws in Europe governing the duration of warranties, limiting them to 10 years, but no such limitation exists for the U.S. 
Ted

pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2008 at 06:55
that milestone is enough to give me heart failure lol. I am on the other side of the state near Scranton
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 20:16
Originally posted by pahuntnut pahuntnut wrote:

I am glad sites like this exist.

Tom,

So are we....
Wouldn't want you to have heart failure and miss out on your 50th milestone.

What part of Pa. are located in, anywhere near Erie?
pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 18:43
I would have been HOPPING mad. I am glad sites like this exist.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 18:33
Just think how mad you would be if you hadn't found out about it ahead of time.
pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 18:21
Im soo mad I cant even type correctlyHead%20Banger
pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 18:19
As for the optics shop i called and wasted money on a long distance phone call to CA. Well what kind of a shop are they? They have it in the Leics write  up on their site and the salesman did not know any different.
pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 18:16
rifledude you are CORRECT!! They changed their warranty in 2008 to 10 years. They are honoring the ones sold with the old passport warranty card. To me that stinks. Do they expect me to spend most for their product and get a lesser warranty than Zeiss or Swaro?? Wel to me they are oficially out of the race as they are the most expensive and have the worst warranty of the big three.
Thank you for being patient with me.

pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 17:53
thanks fo rthe number i will call. Therw is a major difference if a warranty is 10 years or unlimited. I would like to tell you where i got the information, but i dont think the moderator would let me. Jeez im getting a headacheWhacko.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 16:53
Originally posted by pahuntnut pahuntnut wrote:

FYI I just called a major Dealer and Leica DOES have a LIFETIME warranty on there bino's in the USA but not out of the USA it is 10 year

This "major dealer" is wrong.  I've seen the warranty card.  Call Leica at 800-272-0118 if you don't believe me.

Here is an excerpt from a major online US-based Leica retailer's order page.  I would post the link to the whole page, but first of all, this is against OT rules and as a SWFA customer, I don't want to promote their competitors.

"The Leica Ultravid HD 12x50 binocular is tripod adaptable (adapter sold separtately) and comes with:

• Eyepiece cover
  • Cordura carry case
  • Neoprene neck strap
  • Objective lens covers
  • Leica 10-Year Warranty"

Edited by RifleDude - March/21/2008 at 17:10
Ted

pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 16:12
well I did not underscore transferable as being a large point in my decision. However, since companies are always coming out with new and improved this and that, there may come a time when i want to trade them and that would help in resale value. As far as lifetime warranty well if I am spending $1600-2000 for bino's I want the most bang for my buck.

FYI I just called a major Dealer and Leica DOES have a LIFETIME warranty on there bino's in the USA but not out of the USA it is 10 year
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 14:57
Notice also that they mention nothing about their warranty on their website...

I'm not bashing Leica.  I love their products, and I personally own a Leica Trinovid binocular, a Televid spotting scope, and a now-discontinued Ultravid riflescope.  They make very fine optics.  But they are presently seriously lacking in their warranty coverage compared to their main competitors, and they are taking serious heat from this right now.

I am 100% certain of the 10 year warranty on Ultravid HD binoculars, BTW, because I have been doing some comparison shopping on high end 8X32 roof prism binoculars lately.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic