OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody got the New Monarch yet??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody got the New Monarch yet??
    Posted: November/20/2007 at 17:32

Looking for reviews, impressions, musings,  likes or dislikes of the New Nikon Monarch.

Fire away!!

I told The Warden...OK asked  if I could get a 4-16x with the BDC for Christmas.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 18:49
Cheaptrick you will love them! Have you seen or are you familar with the BDC? It is amazing how easy it is to use. Similar concept to the Swarovski TDS or the Burris Ballistic Plex but, the BDC is formatted with circles which your eye picks up on well. I give them Kudos all the way!
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 02:47

Well sort of.

I looked through a couple Buckmaster's with the BDC, but I haven't shot with one yet. Looking to rectify that.

http://www.nikondownload.com/models/pressrelease/Monarch%20R iflescopes%20PR.doc

How do the new units stack up against the Conquest, 4200 Elite, VX III?

Where does one get target turrets if they want them, but the scope they ordered doesn't come with them? 

The 5-20x44mm and the 6-24x50mm come with the high profile turrets, but the other models don't. As I said, I'm considering the 4-16x job, but I want the target knobs. 

Is SWFA going to sell sunshades and high profile turrets for the new Monarch?

Thank you!!

Check out the SWFA staff Nikon BDC video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJSiIaFOkQ

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 09:21
< name=tab1>Key Features< name=tab2>Technical Specifications
Nikon's New Eyebox design features a huge ocular that provides a 4 time magnification range and 4” constant eye relief without sacrificing FOV
Features Locking Side Focus Parallax Adjustment
Larger 42mm objective
Quick Focus eyepiece
Enhanced Mount Ring spacing
Hand Turn Reticle adjustments that features Nikon's new Interchangeable Turret Technology -1/4 MOA
Fully Multicoated - Nikon's UCC system provides 95 percent Light Transmission
Waterproof, Shockproof, Fogproof
Nikon's unique zoom control with rearward facing numbers
One-piece main body
Sunshade adaptable

This is right off of Nikon's website so I would assume you could get the High profile target knobs through Nikon. At this point I am not sure if we will be carrying them ourselves or not. We should definately carry the sunshades in the near future. As for how it stacks up to the others you will be impressed. I don't know if you  have read my other posts but, I reccomend it a lot. It has excellent resolution and clarity for the price. It is definately me favorite of the four you are comparing. It is an all around great scope. A little shorter than the 4-16X40 4200 and has a bigger objective. If it came down to it this and the 4-16X50 4200 are the closest and that 4200 is a little more money than the Nikon at 499.95 compared to 449.95 of the Nikon. I say your choice is my favorite all the way. Hope this helps!

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 09:27

Have they made the coss hair lines thinner on the new modles? On my 5.5x16.5 the lines are a tad to thick for my likings but it is still a really good optic.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 09:30
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Yeah I think I saw that video after all I was in it!

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 09:30
Originally posted by Chris Farris 2 Chris Farris 2 wrote:

Yeah I think I saw that video after all I was in it!

Oh I see he is braging now.......

it was a good vid BTW

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 09:48
I wouldn't say bragging exactly. All is fair in love and war is it not? I am surprised we haven't heard anything out of Brady yet. Me and him were"challenging" each other and he called that he would shoot the the chain off a hanging steel target at 300 yards. Bang! the chain snapped. Needless to say the competition was pretty much over after that. If you watch the video at about 50-55 seconds you see three targets one broke in half. Then at about a minute and 15 seconds you the the same three targets with the far left target gone only half of the chain remains that was his shot. Kudos Brady. Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread CT.

Edited by Chris Farris 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:02

Just got back from the gun shop and looked through the new Monarch. It was a 3-12x unit with a BDC reticle.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8767-218-nikon-3-12x42-monarch-rifles cope.aspx

I looked through the scope INSIDE the building for about 20 minutes, so take that into consideration. This is NOT a review or an evaluation, just my humble first impressions...

Pros:

-Good optics. Appears to be the same glass/coatings we have come to know from the older Monarchs.

-Sleek design. Not sure how "rugged" it is, but time will tell.  

-4x zoom is really nice. Reminds me of the Conquest, in that regard.

-Price!! Hard to find a scope with the optics and features this scopes offers for the same money.

-Turrets were (metal) low profile with 1/4 MOA clicks. Clicks felt good and crisp. All Nikon's I have owned or used tracked and repeated very well, I assume this new offering would be comparable.  

Cons:

-The side focus "clicks" when turned.... Now, I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I wonder how accurately one will be able to correct parallax with clicks.   

The SF wheel was "sticky" too and seemed to bind at first, but loosened up after a little turning.

-Eye relief seemed good, BUT this scope was a little "hinky" with head positioning, even at the lower power settings. Much more so than my old Conquest. If you move your head horizonially left or right, you will loose your sight picture fairly quickly. Maybe just the unit I looked at, but I was a little surprised at this.

Over all, a really nice scope with a great price tag.

As good as a Conquest??   

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:16

Over all, a really nice scope with a great price tag.

As good as a Conquest??   

Agreed! Factoring in the price is more important to some people. If you want to save money go with the Nikon. If you got the extra money throw it down on the Zeiss! Both great scopes though.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:16
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Have they made the coss hair lines thinner on the new modles? On my 5.5x16.5 the lines are a tad to thick for my likings but it is still a really good optic.

Do the new modles have thiner cross hair lines?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:29

Daddy, are you referring to the Nikoplex or the BDC reticle??

I only saw a BDC Monarch today.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:31

Do the new modles have thiner cross hair lines?

Yes they are. 

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:34

Thanks  CF2 I might starte looking into one then.

Ty

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:34

The SWFA video was great!!

We even got a glimpse of Stephanie, The Optics Goddess.... 

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:35

CT,

i was talking about the BDC.Remember when i said something about it at wendy's.I was hopping they would make them thinner.it would make my shooting short range a little easyer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:38

CT,

i was talking about the BDC.Remember when i said something about it at wendy's.I was hopping they would make them thinner.it would make my shooting short range a little easyer.

Yes Sir, I remember now. I didn't really notice if they were thinner now.  

Edited by cheaptrick
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:45
In the BDC there was no noticeable diifference to me. They looked a little thinner on the Nikoplex though. Sorry didn't know you were reffering to the BDC. Sorry BD
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:54

Originally posted by Chris Farris 2 Chris Farris 2 wrote:

In the BDC there was no noticeable diifference to me. They looked a little thinner on the Nikoplex though. Sorry didn't know you were reffering to the BDC. Sorry BD

Thats alright Just don't let it happen again      HAHAHAHA  j/k  I should have made myself a little more clear.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 11:02

The BDC should be good to go for shooting groups.  

I'm really excited about trying one out... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic