OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical Shooting FAQs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 08:17
Great info great post

Scott
Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets. Quote George S Patton
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 20:43
Great link CT, thanks for taking the time and making the effort to share it!!! Please let the guys over at Sniper's hide that their willingness to share  is appreciated immensely!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

moosetrax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moosetrax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 23:06
There is no standard "expectation" of a sniper. At least not Army. The FM 23-10 doesn't even mention it. 6" at 600 isn't even close. That is what the marines require for a given rifle to be classified as a "sniper rifle". It has to be sub MOA. The armys ammunition specs are actually over 2 MOA with a requirement for the M118 being 12" at 550 Meters. Hardly 6" at 600. Although, the weapons and ammunition are capeable of better, there still is no published expectation... especially not between two SAWs
Mom said if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything... I never did listen well.
Oculus Capitalis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oculus Capitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 18:15
Now and then I pull on the cammies (no ghillie), and play Capt'n Tactikewl . . . But I ain't no sniper. I got the Army manual on sniper training. It's about recon and serveillance, not shooting!

I'm a bench bum, and feel good about it. :D

First thing I did on my rifle is remove the bipod. We have a Caldwell Rock for all that!
moosetrax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moosetrax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 18:53
Originally posted by Oculus Capitalis Oculus Capitalis wrote:

I got the Army manual on sniper training. It's about recon and serveillance, not shooting

Apperently you must have overlooked chapter 3. The marksmanship chapter. or maybe you didn't actually have the sniper manual. Does it say FM 23-10 or "sniper training for dummies"
Mom said if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything... I never did listen well.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 22:36
FM23-10 Chapter 3 is basic and high level instruction.  While there certainly is useful information there, it is NOT designed for advanced instruction of an experienced shooter.  It provides the groundwork for taking a beginning to fair shooter and assisting him in developing a set of tools he can use and improve to become a sniper.  However, reading Chapter 3 won't make you a sniper or even a good shooter.  Classroom and field instruction that support and build upon the entire manual are what makes/gives it continuing value.  One can read 23-10 all day every day and won't be a sniper after a LONG time.

Moosetrax, you might want to reconsider your comments.  Not very productive.  

Edited by Kickboxer - March/28/2009 at 22:38
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
moosetrax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moosetrax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 07:34
The quote was that the sniper manual is all about recon and surveillance and nothing about shooting which couldn't be further from the truth. A pet peave of mine is people who think they know what it in a book they never read. Apperently, kickboxer, you have read the book, or at least most of it. I spent countless hours in the field reading that manual and applying it to everything from range qualification to deer hunting. But I'm no sniper. Quantico and the Ft Benning Sniper scool make you a sniper. As for not productive, how productive is calling a book containing everything from camo and concealment, to range cards and ballistics, a "recon and surveillance book"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 15:58
Trax, there are 9 chapters and 2 appendices.  One of them is on marksmanship.  I agree about people who think they know what is in a book, sometimes even if they have read it.  The marksmanship part is just about the mechanics.  Getting to where the mechanics can be applied is far more difficult. 
I don't have a problem with questioning the comments, just the manner.  Better ways to make your point.  Lighten up.  Read OT Rule 2.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
moosetrax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moosetrax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 16:55
Duly noted sir, duly noted
Oculus Capitalis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oculus Capitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 23:28
It says "TC 23-14, June 1989  -- Sniper Training & Employment. US Dept. of the Army."

My point is that those who think "sniper" is about long-range, precision shooting will find that what the manual and the job entail is a lot of reconaissance, and surveillance. It's not about being a precision shooter. It's about being a sneaky bastard. Being a sneaky bastard who can shoot works too.

moosetrax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moosetrax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 06:50
Originally posted by Oculus Capitalis Oculus Capitalis wrote:

It says "TC 23-14, June 1989  -- Sniper Training & Employment. US Dept. of the Army."

My point is that those who think "sniper" is about long-range, precision shooting will find that what the manual and the job entail is a lot of reconaissance, and surveillance. It's not about being a precision shooter. It's about being a sneaky bastard. Being a sneaky bastard who can shoot works too.

It's not about being a precision shooter???? You might have misread something there. Granted, snipers do a lot of recon and things of that nature, but if it's not about precision shooting, why do they carry weapons that can make 1000 meter shots. Sit down and talk to a sniper sometime. I have. They can tell you what they do.

from the army training site

The sniper has special abilities, training, and equipment. His job is to deliver discriminatory, highly accurate rifle fire against enemy targets that cannot be engaged successfully by the regular rifleman because of range, size, location, fleeting nature, or visibility. Sniping requires the development of basic infantry skills to a high degree of perfection. A sniper's training incorporates a wide variety of subjects designed to increase his value as a force multiplier and to ensure his survival on the Battlefield. The art of sniping requires learning and repetitiously practicing these skills until mastered. A sniper must be highly trained in long range rifle marksmanship and field craft skills to ensure maximum effective engagements with minimum risk.

A lot of people have the misconception that to be a good sniper, you have to be a good shooter. Shooting is only 20 percent of the course at the Army Sniper School. It takes a patient person, a disciplined person, a person who is used to working alone. In addition to marksmanship skills, the school instructs on detecting and stalking a target, and estimating the range of a target. The course also covers concealment and camouflage, as well as observation exercises.

nova88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nova88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 16:35
some good info for sure thanks for posting that link
robb01 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robb01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 13:36
yes, thanks
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 19:06
Thanks for resurrecting this post,lot of great info.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 08:44
Welcome to OT robb01....
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 17:13
Just found this post somehow...  What a laughable conversation...

Decent Info in the first post the rest is well um a interesting...
No one
atomiclab View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomiclab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 20:12
awesome link.
I have a lot more reading to do now.

RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 16:05
This will keep me busy on Christmas days off!!! Thank You
Old Mil ftw
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 16:21
What ever happened to Mithran? He hasn't been here for a couple of years now.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 18:44
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

What ever happened to Mithran? He hasn't been here for a couple of years now.

....and several others...SVD666(wink wink), acenturian, anthony, .................all good memories for me
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic