OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope height
    Posted: November/27/2007 at 20:53
Is 1/8 inch of clearence between the front ocular of a scope and the barrel enough clearence?  the rifle is a 300 win mag with a lighter sporter type barrel that is free floating, i am concerned that the barrel could hit the scope.  What do you guys think?
Git R Done
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 22:37

No way! Rest assured that the barrel won't whip anywhere near an eighth of an inch that close to the reciever.  At the muzzle, MAYBE, but not back there.

deerkiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 23:05
Great just what i wanted to hear!  thanks RONK.
Git R Done
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 04:45
Your good.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 06:27
deerkiller,
I have a rifle with the scope bell mounted 0.010" from the barrel, without a problem.  It does not touch.  When firing, the chamber end of the barrel doesn't move much at all, maybe a few 0.00001".  Think of it this way -- many rifles have free floated barrels with the forearm channel only 0.015" or so clearance from the barrel without the barrel touching the stock when firing.  The generally accepted rule of thumb is if you can slide a piece of paper between the barrel and stock channel, the barrel is sufficiently floated and usually won't touch the stock during firing.  While we all know it does move, I've never seen a study that actually measured the amount of lateral movement the barrel makes when firing, and it would vary depending on the caliber the rifle is chambered for, the length of the barrel, and the barrel contour.  I've seen slow-mo video of .50 caliber rifles being shot, which shows visible movement of the entire rifle/scope, but that is an extreme case.  With standard hunting calibers, the amount of barrel whip would probably only be a couple 0.001"
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 18:08
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

deerkiller,
  With standard hunting calibers, the amount of barrel whip would probably only be a couple 0.001"

I would agree....I have one gun with a pretty long sunshade thats about .010 tops from the barrel about a third of the way out. Its never touched. If you have clearance at all you should be golden.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 19:11

I've seen the .50 cal. slow-mo video also and it is amazing. Even the scope tube flexes to a surprising degree.  As Rifle Dude mentioned, though, that is an extreme example involving a cartridge which produces around four times the muzzle energy of most deer rifles. 

There is a rather strange phenomenon that occurs when a rifle is fired, which I seldom hear discussed. What happens is that upon firing, the bullet is violently forced into the rifling lands, and because barrel steel is ductile, it gives a little as the bullet passes, immediatly shrinking back to it's former dimensions. Imagine a moving bulge, similar to a snake swallowing a rat.  This is one of the reasons behind freefloating your barrel in the forend; to give this bulge room to pass without interference which could cause the barrel to bounce upward upon contact.  Again, we are talking about a few ten-thousanths of an inch, not enough to cause problems in your situation.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic