OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ZOS LR scopes?????????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Shackelford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZOS LR scopes?????????
    Posted: December/07/2007 at 11:49
Can any one tell me about zos tac scopes.  GOOD, BAD, so so???????????????Confused
Rusty Shackelford
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 12:30
Zeiss yes Zos no

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Miedosoracing View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miedosoracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 15:43
I did a search on them here, because I was wondering the same thing. Seems to be the same as Barska, BSA, all those chinese one's that look the same. Seem to all be junk. As far as BSA I can say wouldn't buy one again. Probably take one for free if someone gave it to me, but would sell it right back on ebay. Cuz it was not clear. I could see better through a 3x9 scope at 50 yards than the 4-16x40 I had.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 15:46
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Zeiss yes Zos no

Great one, Wes. Big%20smile

Welcome to the OT, Brother.

Maybe we could help you with another brand of scope??
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
chrismtl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrismtl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 15:53
My friend got one, just to try it out. got it for 120$ on ebay. Optics arent  bad, nice illuminated mil dot reticle, side parralax adjustment works well, and so do the knobs. We had a bit of trouble mounting it at the gun smiths, but I think that it was a problem with his gun. We left it overnight, and it was fine. Haven't tested it yet, because we are in the middle of our exam period right now. Once we have tested it, I will say more to the quality of the optics, and how it reacts to the recoil, and how well it hold the zero while changing zoom. So far from what I have seen, the optics are not that bad. If you are just looking for a scope to fool around with and have some fun, this would be an option. If you are tight on money, and can't spare 100$ to possibly throw away, then go for a bushnell, or something else more dependable, because I have no clue what is going to happen when we test it.

The model he bought was the 10-40x50 mounted on a husqvarna (don't know model) .308.
Miedosoracing View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miedosoracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 16:34

Yeah, the zero is a big factor, so hopefully yours will hold. Definitely let us know.

It really bites to zero it all in, take 2 shots right where you had it, then the next is 3 inches up and to the left. You're like well, maybe it was just me. Then the next shot hits right over the last. I wish we could sue these companies in a class action (not for money), just to make them stop guaranteeing them to hold zero bla bla bla. If they can't hold, don't say it does, it wastes our time. Money comes and goes, but the time it takes to zero etc is annoying if you have to start over again.  Ouch
3523adam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3523adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 04:22
I recently purchased the 10-40x50 IR zos on e-bay for $200. for its cheap price i must admit i was surprised at its sturdy construction. Its appearance is daunting and intimidating with a complex array of knobs and sliders that make you look like you know what your doing on the range. (an added bounus of psych ops in competition). Mounted on a rifle, it looks as though its capable of consistant sub MOA groups. Upon inspection of the optics the first thing i noticed was how narrow the view was considering the size of the optics. Then again the magnification of this optic was larger than i am used to and may be the norm. The light collecting was average and like it has been said before i to have had cheaper optics that have had better image quality and light gathering. The mil dot recticle is impressive. it is a glass etched recticle which becomes obvious when using the illumination. I love a mil dot recticle but the problem with this scope is the manufacturer doesnt elaborate what magnification it was designed to be used at. a shift in magnification changes the maths of the range finding capability of the recticle. There isnt even a marking on the scope to identify what magification should be used.
At a guess a slightly higher raised grip on the magnification ring may be what im looking for at the 12X point but this is just a guess and is not highlighted by the manufacurer.  The possitioning of the green and red LEDs for the illumination is poor as the top half of the recticle does not recieve light in red mode due to the placement of the green LED and the green LED is slightly obstructed by the housing which cuts off 1/4 of the top of the recticles light also.
The 10-40x50 has a side mounted paralax correction wheel which runs smoothly however it is quite heavy to operate and takes some grip to move it. another down side to the paralax correction wheel is it takes quite some turning to fast focus on objects at different distances. if this scope was being used on the bench it would not be a problem being at fixed ranges but it would be frustrating in the field having to find the focal point back and forth at differnt distances. The Turrets are great, tactical large grip turrets with a possitive feel and solid clicks of 1/8inch at 100y making for possibly a very accurate unit. however without firing a round using this scope yet i can not say if they hold up to their look and feel. I have mounted this puppy to my 1500 model howa in .308 and will give it a run while sighting it in at little river this weekend. after reading some of the comments above i will ensure i have on my safety specs. The factory rings are cheap and nasty and appear to be for the 60mm model making the scope sit awkwardly high on the rifle. Be prepared to fork out a little extra for better rings which might save the scope from falling apart which has been mentioned earlier. after shooting this weekend i will come back with some more info on performance. so far though i must admit you are getting what you paid for. while it seems it will perform well it is no great steel of the century if you are hoping to buy high quality optics at a bargain price. stay tuned!
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 17:20
Originally posted by 3523adam 3523adam wrote:

I recently purchased the 10-40x50 IR zos on e-bay for $200. for its cheap price i must admit i was surprised at its sturdy construction. Its appearance is daunting and intimidating with a complex array of knobs and sliders that make you look like you know what your doing on the range.  ....bla.. bla.  bla

NOW   --->  Read that with special imphysis on the "MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOURE DOING ON THE RANGE". 

Now -- just my take on this but I think if you take that $200 you just threw away and add a$100 more that will put you in the price range for the combat proven sturdy reliable Super Sniper 10x or 16x or 20x any one of which will outlast and out perform anything in that price range.
Spend Wisely Poker

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
3523adam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3523adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 22:26
true this my friend. im not disputing this scope is money poorly spent however alot of people are talking about this scope due to its cheap price and easy access over ebay. the fact it has had so much exposure counts for somthing! and nothing is realy clear so im out to discover its true potential and report back myself. If it is the junk it has been heard to be then i will gladly go back to my nikko stirling nighteater 3.5-10X42 award wining optics at a great price with an awesome write up and countless well enjoyed hunting trips to back it up with the clearest optics i have ever seen. Personally the zos looks appealing, who wouldnt want to get their hands on a great tactical scope for that price?  Now im putting it to the test. apart from a bunch of people rambling on about it without seeing it and responding to aligation and rumor i want to know for myself. a small $200 investment may turn out to be a great buy. I find it hard to belive a scope as solid as this would fall apart from .22 recoil. anyway. stay tuned my friend. you might be surprised or i might confirm what all the hipe is about. then again that is the point of this site is it not?
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 22:42
 "If it is the junk it has been heard to be then i will gladly go back to my nikko stirling nighteater 3.5-10X42 award wining optics at a great price with an awesome write up"

Wow, maybe I better talk Ilya Koshkin in to selling all those Swaro's and Zeiss's and buying one of these.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 06:52

If it is the junk it has been heard to be then i will gladly go back to my nikko stirling nighteater 3.5-10X42 award wining optics at a great price with an awesome write up and countless well enjoyed hunting trips to back it up with the clearest optics i have ever seen.

Who had the "awesome write up" of the Nikko?
Link please.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 06:22
I'd be prepared to crack open my wallet. The scope will likely let you down, atleast at some point.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
3523adam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3523adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 08:39
nikko stirling scopes by paul miller austarlian shooter magazine march 2008.
pg. 50-57.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 10:01

nikko stirling scopes by paul miller austarlian shooter magazine march 2008.
pg. 50-57.

Oh OK......I'm not familiar with Mr. Miller, but he's probably not familiar with cheaptrick either. Wink
Nikko's have gotten some rather ho hum comments around here, if memory serves me.
Not arguing, jus sayin.... Howdy
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 14:36
I only know that they are quite popular in Europe for air rifles, they are supposedly japanese made.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 18:28
OK - The proof of durability is not how long a scope lasts on an air rifle or a 22. Strap that bad boy to a 375 H&H and see if it lasts as long as the $29.95 Tasco 3-9x40  on my 375 H&H Encore has.  Think real recoil. If you really want to impress us slap it on a  50BMG and count its life in seconds.  Bazooka

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/28/2008 at 18:28

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
3523adam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3523adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 23:57
Nikko striling scopes were originally conceived and developed by an australian - the late Malcom Fuller (1924-1994) Malcom searched out optical factories that were emerging postwar in japan in the early 1950's and founded the stirling company (Miller, 2008). Wink

you guys keep raving about bushnell which i think is great. They are a time proven reliable optic with brilliant clarity for their price but around hear they are mounted on air rifles. I have one of the 4X 30mm $80 scopes mounted on my .22 and it performs as well if not better than  most optics in my collection. I love it! However you cant go past the light gathering performance of a Nikko on dawn and dusk hunts of eastern grey kangaroo.

back to the ZOS! in contrast to the optical performance of the scopes mentioned above. the ZOS should not even be placed in the same lime light as these optics. a comparison of ZOS to Bushnell and Nikko is like comparing a kia to a monaro! Loco. I havnt yet had the opertunity to test the ZOS on a moderate recoil rifle but will do soon. Over all so far the only thing the ZOS has going for it is its looks. the rest as i have said leaves much to be desired.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 00:04
Nikkos Sterling, just like Bushnell markets scopes in differing price ranges and made all over the Pacific Rim, from China to Japan and everything in between.  Higher end models are Japanese-made and are quite good.  Lower end ones are made in China and are decent for the money, but nothing to write home about.

ILya
3523adam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3523adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2008 at 02:05
after shooting with the zos the weekend before last i have finally got some information for you allBig%20Smile. After bore sighting before even shooting the windage was so far right that if i needed to come over any further i had no clicks leftLoco. Mounted on a .308 the mounts failed after the second shot as the scope literally fell off the rifle!Shocked Even after ensuring the scope was mounted correctly with a second atempt at securing it tightly, two shots and the rifle recoil destroyed the mounts!Shocked The factory mounts were so bad that i cant even start to comment on the performance of the scope as i didnt get a chance to really run it in as the first problem was the mounts. as i suspected earlier you will have to fork out for a decent set of mounts as the factory supplied cheapies are more likely to cause damage to the scope and your rifle. 
After throwing in the towel within five shots i called it a day and went on shooting with another rifle. when i get some decent mounts for the zos i will try again and report back on the scopes performance!     
panther308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panther308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 03:46
I wanted to chime in on this one, since I have had the opportunity to shoot with the ZOS scope.  Please keep in mind these are my opinions. 

Here it is:

Purchased the 10-40x60 SF Tactical IR Scope from ZOS.  It was the 30mm tube scope.  It was about 8 months ago now.  The scope was not available in mil dot, only in the european ranging reticle flavor.  I thought, hey, pay $170 for it, worst you are out 170.

Ordered it from China.  Came within 4 business days (lightning quick).  Opened the package and it was nicely packaged in a formed Styrofoam container, with a set of high mount rings (some generic China brand for sure).  It also came with 5 inch shade, caps for lenses, batterries (2) for the illuminated reticle (one in scope and one as replacement), lens cleaning cloth, and of course the scope itself.  Nothing outstanding here, but packaging seemed to hold all components securely for shipment.  The scope itself was packaged inside a plastic bag (thick plastic), to help with protection from scratches (???). 

OK.  Opened the sucker up.  First off, noticed the finish on the scope was real nice (especially for the price).  I was initially assuming the finish will be crap and it will come all scuffed/scratched like the other junk stuff for very cheap usually comes.  Not this time.  The finish was a nice, thick black coating on all scope parts.  The elevation and windage turrets had a nice positive click to them.  The parallax correction adjustment worked great, and it was hard to turn by hand (if the wheel was not mounted on the scope).  This was no big deal.  Mounted the wheel and the adjustment was now like butter, soft yet not loose.
The scope did also have focus correction (for those who have glasses, etc), so I adjusted it and did work as designed too.  This gave me a nice sharp reticle in the field of view, very sharp, not fuzzy at all. 
The lens caps were nice too.  I would not go as far as saying just as awesome as some on a 2K scope, but pretty close.  Springs in them were nice and sturdy, when opened the lenses popped up nicely and quickly to be out of the way.
Looked at the rings that came with the scope and immediatelly purchased a different set.  As someone else said, they were not worth a penny.   Ordered the Burris zee rings - 30mm, high mount.  Actually I anticipated it and ordered them prior to scope arrival, so they were alreay here when the scope got to me.
Mounted the rings, and then mounted the scope.
I should say that I mounted the scope on an LR-308 Panther rifle.  It is a 24inch Bull barrel fluted rifle.  Have some other mods, but they are immaterial to this topic here.
After the scope was on the rifle, I bore sighted it and it did need some adjustment (windage and a bit elevation) to bring it to ball park of zero.
The ammo I was shooting was reloaded by myself, but it was mostly surplus cases with .308 165Gn Remington PSP bullets I purchased from competitor for $18 bucks.  My load was 44.2 Gn of Varget powder.

....Will continue later...daughter started crying so I gotta go now.  Will finish today for sure though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic