OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

spray paint camo job ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spray paint camo job ?
    Posted: December/08/2007 at 18:23

Ok so I’ve been pondering doing a little stock work ( shorting the LOP and adding a recoil pad ) on my r-700, which has a HS precision  composite stock, and most likely will end up with a trashed finish at least on the rear of the rifle. So again, my bright idea, involves a few cans of spray paint, and some graph paper to make a “digital type pattern”. Of course I’ll be working out the technique on scrap 2x4’s first, then an old cheap rifle that is in need of some finish re-work anyhow, before committing to screwing up my pride and joy. I guess I could take the easy way out, ( and a whole lot more expensive ) by sending it out for a finish job, but what fun would that be, besides it’s gonna be a long cold winter, and I’ll need something to keep my little brain occupied.

Have any of ya’ll done anything like this before? Have any suggestions ? any pictures ? I’ve been searching the net for posted examples, and how-to’s,  but I’m not having a lot of luck.

Thanks guys

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 21:03
Send it off the Bell and Carlson, and for 60 bucks or so you can get a professional camo job in a finishes like Mossy Oak New Break Up or Real Tree Advantage,etc...I've had 3 stocks done and they look factory perfect .
sigsmoker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigsmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 23:36
I did this but it was to an inexpensive shotgun. I think if I wanted, I could take it off anytime. The problem with spray paint is that it chips off with every little brach and twig you might brush up against in the woods. Mine was just to take out for turkey.
You can see the job I did in my photos below. Sigsmokers Stuff.
It's no big deal but theres an example. flat greens and tans and flat black. just wrap rope or rags around it each time it dries  until its done LOL! actually LOL!
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 17:12

not bad - but you say the paint chips ? i'll assume that you did all the wash, degrease, and prime, before painting ? and it still chips ?

Edited by sinsir - December/09/2007 at 17:14
sigsmoker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigsmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 17:25
Yeah the shotgun was clean and degreased, and chips might be the wrong word. It comes off when I play a little rough with it in the sticks. Maybe also because all I used was cheap paint too. But this is no big deal cause I can easily just spray over it. I did it for strictly to camo the gun rather than do any artwork. A nice shotty should get a professional job like the gent above recommends.
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 17:40

something like duracoat, or a pro finish .... i thought about it, and i should,but i'm one of those who likes to do it myself, bell and carlson does good work, i've bought a sweet stock from them for my 700- .308 deer rifle, topped it with a nikon monarch that i bought off the sample list.

do you guys happen to know of anybody else who does camo work ? i'm not to fond of the patterns that bell and carlson offers.

Edited by sinsir - December/09/2007 at 17:47
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 18:06

A lot of archery pro shops do camo paint jobs for bowhunters. Check the yeller pages.

sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 19:52
ya, i've talked to a couple of those guys before, and they wanted to use a product like "bowflage" which was a removable spraypaint. nobody that i talked to had used stuff like duracoat before, or any other of the pro finishes out there. i'll look a bit harder on the net for a while.

sorry if i keep mentioning a specific product name, i'm not promoting them, i've never used there product, but from what i've read, seems to fit the bill, whatever product i end up using will be on a composite stock, so baking to cure it, is out of the queston.

thankx for the tips guys

Edited by sinsir - December/09/2007 at 19:57
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 18:18
There are several companies who use the duracoat finish which won't chip.  I did the barrel and action of my 788 LH 6MM and it's great.  I'm thinking of having another one done.  There are several camo patterns available also.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 20:15

I've used Bow-Flage for years. It's a nice dull flat finish that is easy to remove completely when you go to sell your gun. I haven't seen it for sale anywhere recently and heard they quit making it.   Really%20Sad
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2007 at 19:40
Off topic a bit, but from a gun age where wood was the paint, it is interesting to see the desire for design in the gun resurface after the dark ages of plain black plastic stocks.
chavist93 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavist93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2007 at 16:40
I bought a stevens 200 a while back for a cheapo woods gun.  I painted the stock on it with krylon camo paint and a satin clear.  Seems to be holding up well and looks much better than the grey that it came.  I sanded all of the mold lines off the stock first.

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 07:48
Nice looking paint job.....

I have done several with the available spay cans and while looking good at first, I tend to drag my hunting rifles through too much puckerbrush for the paint job to stay nice long. The duracoat is pricey but available in all the same camo tones so an airbrush would be all required to do a more durable version. I have duracoat on a stock that on its fifth year still shows almost zero signs of wear. Biggest downside is the cost. If you go to the duracoat website if I remember it lists them or someone who will do it for you at even more cost.

Focus

I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 11:14
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic