OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any one having the same problem with Hornady SST?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any one having the same problem with Hornady SST?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnwrobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any one having the same problem with Hornady SST?
    Posted: December/22/2007 at 11:16

Just this last slug season in Illinois, I had made up my mind to shoot my deer with a slug shotgun instead of muzzleloader as I have done in past seasons.  Bought cantilever rifled slug barrel for my Mossberg 935 and mounted up 3x9 Nikon Monarch scope on same.  Decided to use the 300 gr. Hornady SST slugs.  Sighted gun in at local range and had gun zeroed in at 2" high at 100 yds. with 5 consecutive shots nearly touching one another.  1st day of first season I collected small buck at 20 yards.  Still had unfilled tag for second season.  This is where it gets good.  Had a huge doe at 18 yards, took my time and squeezed the shot off. CLICK went the gun but no BANG.  Thinking maybe I had not chambered shell, I pulled the bolt back and yes Virginia, there was a shell with dent in primer from firing pin.  Tried to chamber another shell quietly, but that is like trying to walk on eggshells and not break any.  Anyway, doe get nervous and slowly walks away.  When she gets a sufficient distance from me, I chamber another shell by slamming bolt onto shell with bolt release.  About ten minutes later, I have a great 10 pt buck at 21 yards step into small clearing.  I make up my mind to try to shoot so that slug will take out both shoulders.  Can't miss right??!! To my utter amazement, the gun goes click and another slug does not go off.  Can't tell if the buck bolted account of dry-firing shotgun or the mild expletive I somehow heard myself mutter.  2 deer, 2 slugs not firing all within 10 minutes.  So I call Hornady to complain and CS person on other end of line says "Oh, was this a 20 gauge shell that failed to fire?" to which I informed him it was a 12 guage.  He acted surprised and said he knew that the 20 guage was having problems but wasn't aware the 12 ga. was experiencing same problems.  He tried to explain it as a "dirty" gun causing light firing pin strikes to which I informed him gun was thoroughly cleaned in preparation of second season and had no previous problems with other SST shells.  He had me send the 2 shells that did not fire and the other three from same box back to factory.  I got another box back from Hornady expecting explanation why shells didn't go off, but didn't.  Was dissappointed that I didn't get follow up and I don't figure I need to call back to get same.  Hope this didn't happen to other fellow hunters.  I might have really gone ballastic if the 10 pointer had been B&C.

cnwrobb
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 19:47
There obviously is not a lot of users here. I was able to find a little here. Apparently there were some problems.

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 21:50
Funny you bring that up-- I had a similar problem with  12 GA SST"s a couple of months back at the range. I had 3 out of 5 in one box that wouldn't make it to the 100 yd target. The guy to my left said he  watched the rounds whack the dirt just behind the 50 yd set up. I had no targets on that board at all. Plus the recoil was virtually non existent. I contacted Hornady and they noted the batch number and stated they had no issues in the past with those,  but would replace them all if I sent the boxes with that  batch number out to them. I haven't done so yet, but now that the holiday hoopla is over with, I will.

However, without exception SST's have proved to be consistently the most accurate out of all the loads I've tried in my slug guns ( other than the aforementioned occurrence )

Edited by martin3175 - January/20/2008 at 21:54
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic