OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.375 Ruger Alaskan: Da Squeeze report!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:41
Pyro remember what Col Cooper aways said about recoil.  It's about 95% mental.  Anyone who's played high school football got hit harder more often and probably enjoyed it.  Extended bench sessions can get a little tiresome but that's when you change up to something like a running deer target - recoils no sweat then.
God save the Empire!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:43
Dogger......For me, the Alaskan like my Frontier, is the best for all worlds! I can hold both rifles by the pistol grip, arms at my side and the muzzles are well above the ground!.....You should take a real hard look at the 375 Ruger either in the African or the Alaskan!....I preferred the Alaskan because it is more rugged, scratch proof and weather proof!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:45
my ass its mental, you watch that video with those guys shooting the .577 tyranosaur and tell me recoil is mental, when you come home bruised from shooting a kicked to much tell me its mental, i love playing football because i didnt get hit i did the hitting and i had pads on to boot, now if i would take off the pads and try that tell me the pain i would endure during and after would be mental!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:46
That's what I like about my little 44 carbine.  Muzzle is well above ground if I hold it by the pistol grip - very fast to swing on a moving target - you've got about 300 more horsepower than me!
God save the Empire!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:48
That .577 tyranosaur is waaaaay too much!! Even for me!! I`ll try 5 rounds though!!!....The 375 Ruger is much milder!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:48
You want to talk about real men. Ten rounds from the .375 H&H is my max from the bench. One two ounce turkey load for patterning from an 870 is enough for me!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:49
the worst part about this whole setup, ruger made the rifle, ruger makes some of the hardest kicking rifles on the planet, my old man swears up and down that the worst beating he ever took from a rifle came at the hands of an old ruger m77mkI in 7mag, he said it was terrible, my .280 isnt bad of course its a .280 not a .375, but really remington makes a great stock to absorb recoil as does weatherby.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:50
Dogger.....If you already have a 375 RUM, going to a Ruger 375 would waste your money! Change the stock instead if you don`t like it!!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:52
Well I guess it's different for everyone, have come back from shooting at 100 or so clay birds and the shoulder is a little purple looking but didn't feel a thing at the time.  Same thing when we're shooting at our deer target.  Get so focused on trying to get a good hit through the brush that really don't notice the recoil.  We wear ear protectors during those practice sessions so helps as well.  Even the big guys are just giving you a good shove if you're shooting off your feet.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:53
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

You want to talk about real men. Ten rounds from the .375 H&H is my max from the bench. One two ounce turkey load for patterning from an 870 is enough for me!

funny you bring in the shot gun T i remember one time a buddy's dad was hunting with us and we got to the place where we were going to push and he pulls out his gun case and pulls out a mossberg marine magnum shot gun sawed off barrel (from the factory) like a 7 shot tube in it and he had it loaded with slugs and t shot and we got bored after a while and found a rotten stump and decided to shoot it with that shot gun, ouce he said shoot it twice to get the full effect shot and reload really quick and fire again so i did i damn near dropped the shot gun right there
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:53
The RUm is in a 700 Remington with 26" barrel and very pretty stock.  Real nice rifle but a bit too big for me in the bush - besides (and this is important), it's a great excuse to buy another rifle.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 14:56
yes that is important
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 17:38
Dogger............If you need a shorter range bush buster, don`t get the Alaskan. I don`t consider that a bush gun, although it can be used for one!!!.............Instead, a Marlin Guide gun in 450 Marlin or the 45/70 are better!!! Now those are true bush guns!!!...........One of those is my next one!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 18:16
he already has a 444 and 450 marlin though
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 19:06
Sadly it's never enough......
God save the Empire!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:28
I find stocks to be a deciding factor with recoil most of the time. Stockmakers know this and often employ cast-off in a custom wood stock to dampen the large magnums felt recoil. I shoot savages and they are the worst thing in the world with the factory "tupperware" stocks, change over to a stockade or mcmillian or B&C and the recoil gets very manageable. Recoil pads of 1" in aftermarket designs often work far better than the chincey factory ones.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:30
i really like the limbsaver pad
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 07:37

This month's Rifle magazine has an article about the 375 Ruger. The factory wood stocks have a "habit" of splitting at the rear of the receiver and Ruger is replacing them  on a "as needed" basis. Hogue was also brought up and they have a copy of a press release from them indicating that a few of their stocks have a similar issue, and they will replace ALL of them free of charge. Dealer's are  supposed to supply them with customer's names and addresses, and you can keep the old stock .  ..Hogue's customer service no. is 805-239-1440

Edited by martin3175 - December/28/2007 at 08:17
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 07:46
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

This month's rifle shooter has an article about the 375 Ruger. The factory wood stocks have a "habit" of splitting at the rear of the receiver and Ruger is replacing them on a "as needed" basis. Hogue was also brought up and they have a copy of a press release from them indicating that a few of their stocks have a similar issue, and they will replace ALL of them free of charge. All a owner has to do is contact the directly, and you can keep the old stock .

Interesting post Martin, thought the hogue had an internal aluminum bedding skelton? Would think this would take the stress off the reciever area. Thats a pretty annoying habit for those stocks to have.....for sure....sounds like a real good case for a good bedding job on these rifles....

Focus

Edited by Focus - December/28/2007 at 07:47
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 07:49
Supposed to be a "select few" stocks that may exhibit a weakness in the pistol grip area , but apparently they aren't taking any chances .
It is what it is, and I still think they are good stocks.,,but sometimes sh*t happens.

Edited by martin3175 - December/28/2007 at 08:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic