OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Mount Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Mount Suggestions
    Posted: December/25/2007 at 09:03
I just got a Simmons Prosport 4-12x50 for my Savage 93 .17 HMR and im having trouble finding a good ring to mount it with.  Ive got weaver bases and do not want to change those out.  The Leopold Highs that i have are too low.  Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good ring for mounting such a large objective.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 10:46
I recommend the burris signiture zee rings. Won't mark your scope with ring marks. Allows the ability to center the reticle no matter what, and holds very well. They come in medium and high, I get by with mediums on my savages with 44mm scopes. I believe you will too, but I'm not 100% sure with the 50mm...

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 12:14
Ghost82, what are you going to use this gun for?
If you are going going on walk-a-bouts with it I would like to offer something about the Z-ring dovetail mount. The Z-rings are well liked around here, mind you.
I had a pair of the high Z-ring rimfire mounted on a Webley Scott Patriot airgun. This gun is one of the most powerful spring guns available. In the first few rounds the mounts literally tipped over on the dovetail rail doing some damage. I think part of the problem is there is not much surface area on the clamp. This isn't just the Burris, either. I found when looking into the Leupold and others it was the same thing, not enough surface claming area. This again, is taking the basic Redfield dovetail and putting clamps on to utilize a Weaver base. In the original design for these it has stood the test of time and works on huge kickers.
Your gun is not a kicker by any means, but if you are going to be banging a high mounted, large objective scope around, it is something to think about.
The Weavers offer more surface area but are ugly. The Warnes are also heavier.
BTW, I tried a several different mounts and they all moved. I just treat the Patriot like a .458 now, no glass.

Doug

Edited by tahqua - December/25/2007 at 12:20
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 15:42
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Ghost82, what are you going to use this gun for?
If you are going going on walk-a-bouts with it I would like to offer something about the Z-ring dovetail mount. The Z-rings are well liked around here, mind you.
I had a pair of the high Z-ring rimfire mounted on a Webley Scott Patriot airgun. This gun is one of the most powerful spring guns available. In the first few rounds the mounts literally tipped over on the dovetail rail doing some damage. I think part of the problem is there is not much surface area on the clamp. This isn't just the Burris, either. I found when looking into the Leupold and others it was the same thing, not enough surface claming area. This again, is taking the basic Redfield dovetail and putting clamps on to utilize a Weaver base. In the original design for these it has stood the test of time and works on huge kickers.
Your gun is not a kicker by any means, but if you are going to be banging a high mounted, large objective scope around, it is something to think about.
The Weavers offer more surface area but are ugly. The Warnes are also heavier.
BTW, I tried a several different mounts and they all moved. I just treat the Patriot like a .458 now, no glass.

Doug

Doug, I take it to mean that your rings tipped off the base sideways, correct?  You're correct about the limited bearing surface of the clamping area on Burris Zees. Thier entire clamping system needs to go back to the drafting table IMHO. The Signature concept is brilliant, though.  A Weaver or better yet, a Badger or TPS tactical ring would be a great improvement in the clamping area. I think that when recoil is that violent, if the clamp hadn't failed, something else would have, perhaps the scope?
ghost82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 16:27
I'd be using it for rabbit, squirrel and other small game critters.  I really dont need anything too stout as its just a .17.  I checked out the zee rings but the highest are "high" which only allow up to 60mm.  According to Simmons dimensions the scope i have is 61.70 mm on the outside objective.  Gonna have to go higher, cant find a company that makes anything above 56 to 60 though. 
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 17:04
My rings moved in the same direction as the recoil, front to back. A heavy kicking centerfire would "tip" the rings forward. Because of the spring rebound the rings tipped rearward.
Sorry I don't have a better pic, but that Signature has been in Weaver rings on top of that Remy for seventeen years. It is my predator gun and gets dragged through all kinds of stuff getting hung up along the way. I have never had to change zero. Part of that is due to the Weaver's.
The Savage is a nice choice, BTW.

Edited by tahqua - December/25/2007 at 17:33
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 17:59
I just measured my objective with the Butler Creeks and I am at 62.5mm with a 2.5mm gap from the barrel.
ghost82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 18:49
Are yours the zee rings or weaver? And what height? Ill be snagging some if they are fitting yours ok.  Also is your barrel standard contour, that may be whats hanging me is the heavy varmint barrel.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 19:15
Standard contour barrel with high Weavers.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 21:31

Weaver makes an extra-high ring, don't they?
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 21:57
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Weaver makes an extra-high ring, don't they?

Good call, RONK

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 12:16
ghost82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 20:11
thx guys,,,should be getting a set of x-high grandslam weaver soon.  Hope they will do the trick!
ghost82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 23:38
We'll darn, the ex-high weavers are too low as well.  Any other suggestions?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 09:51
 That is surprising! You might want to go right to a see-through mount then. (The kind that have a tunnel under the scope tube, allowing the use of iron sights.)  Weaver still makes a few models. Other than those, I don't think anything short of Badger Ultra-Highs will work, and they are almost 180 bucks a set.
 Bushmaster sells base risers that would probably work, though. 
ghost82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 13:57
Before i go that route i may drop 80 bucks into the warne tactical ultra highs.  They add nearly an inch! should work, maybe i should just buy a smaller scope instead and avoid any other problems!!!  Simmons doesnt really have any info either, bout as reliable as bsa.
ghost82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 19:34
Ronk, i took your suggestion and bought the see throughs afterall.  Perfect fit!  Ive got about about 4 or 5 mm under the bell for clearance.  Thanks.  Saved me alot they were only 16 bucks.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 21:15

Alright! Yippee  One of my suggestions actually worked! That's never happened before...
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 20:31
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Alright! Yippee  One of my suggestions actually worked! That's never happened before...

Good call Excellent
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 23:07

Yep,%20Thought%20So
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic