OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Ballistic Mil-dot Fullfield II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Ballistic Mil-dot Fullfield II
    Posted: December/28/2007 at 22:30
All,
I have been learning a lot from all of the discussions on this forum, and would like any input you could give on my next scope purchase.  I recently bought a Leupold VX-III 6.5x20x40mm with the Varmint reticle (love it!) for my Savage .223, but it was kind of expensive.  I have a friend that is really fond of Burris scopes, but I have never owned one.  I will be putting my next scope on a Savage .22-250 and will use it mainly for shooting coyotes/varmints with shots varying from 150 to 400 yards.  From Burris's we page, it looks like the Ballistic Mil-dot reticle would be calibrated very nicely with a .22-250.  SWFA has a Burris Fullfield II  6.5-20x50mm w/Ballistic Mil-dot and a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42mm Ballistic Plex.  Any input on the two (or others)would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sal

Breath, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze...
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 10:05
I have the 4.5-14x42 ballistic plex on my 17hmr. and love it. The ball. plex is less cluterd than a mill dot and should be right on with 100yd. zero. The 4.5x will give you a wider sight pitcher making it easer to get on target faster.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 10:32
P.S. shop around you should be able to pair it up with one of their spotting scopes in a package deal for the same money.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 15:23
Have you considered a new Nikon Monarch with a BDC reticle as well?
Do you plan on using a range finder too?

???

Welcome to Optics Talk!  

Edited by cheaptrick - December/29/2007 at 15:26
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chem-man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 22:37
Thanks for the welcome!

Cheaptrick- I wondered about the BDC reticle from Nikon, but was a little apprehensive about the 'circles' instead of 'crosshairs'?   What do you think?  Are they good for smaller targets as well as bigger game?  I have a decent range finder that I use. 

...you aren't going to believe this but the coyotes' are howling as I am typing this!  You shoot one and two more show up....now the labs are barking...

amk204- thanks for the testimony on the ballistic scope.  You are right, swfa has a nice combo package with the Burris Fullfield/spotting scope.

Sal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 05:00
Originally posted by Chem-man Chem-man wrote:

Thanks for the welcome!

Cheaptrick- I wondered about the BDC reticle from Nikon, but was a little apprehensive about the 'circles' instead of 'crosshairs'?   What do you think?  Are they good for smaller targets as well as bigger game?  I have a decent range finder that I use. 

Brother, I just got a 4-16x Monarch w/ a BDC reticle the other day.
I could only shoot to 100 yards because it was Christmas Day and the longer range I go to was closed. I didn't get to shoot through the circles with my .308, BUT, the folks in the link were shooting cans of shaving cream @ 500 yards with the BDC's. Bandito
(Check out the video.)

I'm not trying to dissuade you from the Burris either and the package that amk204 mentioned is a very good buy as well.
I'm just a Nikon guy...some say to a fault.  Hippie 
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 06:22
I have the Burris and the Monarch and the Monarch is a much better scope, clearer at distance better glass.

Duce Smile
Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 06:25
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

I have the Burris and the Monarch and the Monarch is a much better scope, clearer at distance better glass.

Duce Smile

What reticle do you have in the Burris, Jim?
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 06:48
I have the 4-14 with the ballistic plex it is an OK scope but not as clear as I would like, at distance the Monarch is much clearer.

Duce Smile
Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 07:01
I had a Burris Sig select before and it was a much better scope, I sold it with the rifle. I looked at the FF 2 in the store and it looked good there like they all do. Out it the field trying to see pdogs in the distance it just was not up to the job so it sits on the shelf for now.

Duce Say%20What
Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 07:30
Did you use the Ballistic Plex reticle on varmints? If so, how did it work?
Thanks!
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 07:54
That was the idea the plex is good but I did not like the glass for pdogs shooting at distance.

Duce Smile
Duce
Chem-man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 10:23
Great shooting!

Thanks for all the input everyone!  I'll keep you posted.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 15:29
I too have a Burris FFII 4.5-14 w/ the ballistic plex on a 17 HMR.  I really liked it but it was my 1st time doing any varmint hunting.  I have a 6-20 Monarch with a target dot and IMO they are both very clear.  I'm not an expert in regards to what good glass is other than clarity.

A couple things I've noticed about the Burris FII

1.  I noticed that, the B-Plex portion of the reticle (appears to me that it) would be difficult to see the B-Plex in dark in the early morning/late afternoon or in wooded surroundings.

2.  When adjusting the eye power the whole eye piece rotates.  This is not too big of a nusiance but I have those Butler Creek covers and it interferes with the "bill" of my cap.

Otherwise, these are good scopes and if you latch onto one of those package buys, that just sweetens the pot!

Jim  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 15:32
Welcome to The OT and thanks for the feedback, tjtjwdad!
Sneaky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 17:00
i also have the ff 2 with b plex. it's on a ruger .25-06, i use 90% of the time for deer and for that purpose it works quite well.  i also have the nikon monarch 6.5-24 fine plex, the model that they discontinued before the new ones.  i have that on top of a savage .204 and that is definitely more clear than the burris.  i think i'll be hard pressed to stray from nikon when i'm putting something on top of my next gun, have been very impressed.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 23:22
I have two of the FF-II 4.5-14 and I love both of them. One on a rem 700 .223 I is dead on on PDs out to 400 yds. I had replaced the burris with a leo 4.5-14 vxIII varmint for a while but put the ffII back on because I could see the recital much better. The 3-9 Burris I have looked thru was not nearly as clear. I think these give the ffIIs a bad rap.  There may be some variance in the level of quality in the FF-IIs over the years but the 2 that I got in 2005 were both excellent to have  a price under $350.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 08:04
The BMD reticle was designed around a 55 gr. bullet fired from a 22-250 @ 3680 fps mv @ 3000 ft. altitude, 59 degrees, and  SAP. I have 1 in a 6-24X Signature that's OK, IMO. I like the reticle but the problem is it's only calibrated at something like 14 or 16X, and if u wanna use it at the scope's highest power u have to start measuring subtensions. This isn't really a problem if u don't mind doing it. The same goes for the Varmint Hunter reticle in scopes higher than the 4.5-14's i think. I prefer the VH reticle since it has a better system of windage reference, which is important, IMO. I really like the new Rapid Z's from Zeiss, and those reticles better fit my uses (general varmint hunting esp. coyotes) than anything else out there, tho i don't have 1 yet. I have several Ballistic Plex reticles, and like them for their relative simplicity, tho again not the best windage system.
Steve
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 00:16

Steve I have 2 of the varmint reticles 4.5x14 1 is 50 and the other is a 40 The retcle is much finer than in the Burris. In a wooded setting the Leo varmint does not seem to have the contrast that the Burris has and the Burris reticle is much more visable than the cross hairs in the varmint reticle. The windage is a great help on the Leo varmint. I have the 40mm on left hand Win 70 270 wsm at this time. I put it on this rifle for antalope. The 130 gr. only has about 1/2 the drift as the 50 gr on my 22-250 in wind so it is easy to interpulate. It worked great.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 02:55
The VH reticle i have is in the 4.5-14X VX-III, and i also love it. It's on a 243 WSSM Savage Striker that shoots the Berger 115 @ 2525 mv., and the windage is also 1/2 of the subtension. I also like the 3 1.77 MOA windage stadia along the horizontal axis. That's a nice windage system that's easy to interpolate.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic