OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

another thousand yard question II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstr59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another thousand yard question II
    Posted: December/31/2007 at 15:34
 hi, am new here,
 was really enjoying  ATYQ thread. but my new question is, how & where can i find some shimmed or tapered bases? that 20 moa picatiny rail sounds really neat. any help appreciated.
 thinkinking of the tasco  target/varmint 6.5-24x44 for my new 1kyd project.
had to ask a dealer for how much elevation that scope had. he had to count turns on the knob(5) comes out to 35 minutes total,17.5 either way, so figure the angled mounts are the cure. have a tasco target scope on my indoor rifle. has been excellent. tasco's upscale scopes seem to be acceptable, as opposed to their lower grades.
thanks, dstr
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 16:39
Welcome to The OT!!

1) What rifle are you using?
2) What's ATYQ mean? Smile
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 16:40
Disregard #2..."another thousand yard question"
Got it!!  Thunbs%20Up
dstr59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstr59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 18:18
it would be a 7mm mag
i miss spoke onthat scope, it's a8-32x44.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 18:21
My bad...what model and brand of rifle??
Need to know that to suggest a rail.
dstr59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstr59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 18:36
rem700 l/h stainless lam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 03:34
dstr59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstr59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 12:49
another ? lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 13:10
Yes Sir!!

I have the Badger 20 MOA rail. Great product and it will serve you well.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 16:16
Ken Farrell makes an excellent 20 MOA picatinny rail, and it is priced "more affordable" than some other makes. Don't let the cost make you believe the rail is inferior. My riflesmith claims Ken Farrell products have the closest tolerances he has ever seen. He has been a riflesmith for 39 years, and a machinest for 40 + years.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 16:20
Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

Ken Farrell makes an excellent 20 MOA picatinny rail, and it is priced "more affordable" than some other makes. Don't let the cost make you believe the rail is inferior. My riflesmith claims Ken Farrell products have the closest tolerances he has ever seen. He has been a riflesmith for 39 years, and a machinest for 40 + years.

Agreed!
Farrell stuff is good, but does he make a 20 MOA rail for a LH 700 long action, Brother?
I was actually going to recommend the Farrell rail to the OP, but didn't see a lefty version. Might have missed it......
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 20:41
Yes, Ken Farrell does make 20 MOA rails (steel or aluminum) for Rem. 700 long actions. Correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't believe it matters if the bolt is on either side of the action for Farrells bases. kenfarrell.com
dstr59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstr59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 17:00
okay,and how wold one find mr farrell ?
as for l/h, it wouldn't matter if you didn't mind that 20 moa in the wrong direction (crikees!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 17:04
I think Blackbird may be right. Badger rails have a definate left handed unit, and a right handed unit.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 19:26
Originally posted by dstr59 dstr59 wrote:

okay,and how wold one find mr farrell ?
as for l/h, it wouldn't matter if you didn't mind that 20 moa in the wrong direction (crikees!)

No, it would  be impossible to mount it bass-ackwards; the screw-holes are spaced differently in the front of the receiver than they are on the rear bridge.
dstr59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstr59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 13:07
thanks for the web adress. seems he doesn't list a l/h base, but how hard could it be to flip the cad program for one unit? one would assume he's not inthe middle of a thousand unit run...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 11:29
I happened to be currently emailing Ken back and forth the last couple weeks about a base when I saw this thread.  So I asked him about his Rem 700 bases and he said they are made to work on either a right hand or left handed action.  So the bases are one in the same.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
dstr59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstr59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 17:11
before that last post , i was again, looking at farrells website. and it did appear that it was an ambidexterous piece. was thinking of calling to make sure.  now unneccesary, thanks to all for the help. will be ordering a farrell unit.Excellent
 duster
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 16:14
Remember Y'all only lefties are in their right minds.   LOL  I own black bettys twin sister CT.  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic