OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CRF 1200 Leica, Very Happy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CRF 1200 Leica, Very Happy
    Posted: January/20/2008 at 03:24
I tried a new Bushnell Elite 1500 yd rangefinder thinking that I would save money and get an extra 300 yards.  It did a decent job as long as light was good and you were within 800 yards.  I did get it to range a barn at 1377 one time but it took many trys. It wouldn't range a garage down the road at all, got a new Leica CRF 1200 and it ranged the garage easily at 1247 yards.  The optical quality of the Bushnell is no comparison to the Leica.  I can use the Leica in place of binoculars, huge clear field of view, I couldn't do this with the Bushnell.

The Bushnell is a decent usable rangefinder, but I'd still buy the Leica instead even if it were twice the money. 
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 09:03

This is something I know very little about, but am interested in.  Thank you for posting that!

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 03:07
There is no substitution for quality, except $$$$
I have the Bushnell Yardage Pro. It reads OK and for my needs does the job. My needs being occasionally rangefinding various objects to keep my eye in. I also seldom require distances beyond the 400yds range.
A mate, who is a professional hunter has the Leica. You cannot compare the two. The Leica is in a field of its own.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 08:32
I would say Leica and Swarovski are in a field of their own, and it comes down to personal preference between the two.  Leica is more compact and lighter weight, and you can also cycle through multiple readings faster.  Swarovski has better optics and you can range things at greater distance.  

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 14:59

Maybe a dumb question, but does Leica still use the red reticle and number system?  Lost my 900 a couple of years ago and looking to replace it with the 1200.  Thanks.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 15:06
I just got a 1200 as well to replace my Leupold RX3.  The Leica is amazing, I would recommend staying completely away from the Leupold.  Optics are absolutely horrible, reminds me of my BSA scopes and it is a lot harder to get it to read targets than the Leica.  The Leica does not mess around with the reflective non reflective stuff, you just shoot it and it works.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 15:48
Originally posted by antleraddiction antleraddiction wrote:

Maybe a dumb question, but does Leica still use the red reticle and number system?  Lost my 900 a couple of years ago and looking to replace it with the 1200.  Thanks.

It has a red square to range with and the number display is also in red. Just got one to range a sign out the back door 1235yds on a sign thats about 7 feet long and 3 feet tall took 3 tries but at 1235 yds thats pretty darn good! I think it ranges better than any of the other rangefinders including swarovski. Leica is also the ONLY company who uses observational quality glass in their rangefinders.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 19:30
Thanks for the response Chris II.  Have you compared the new version to the older square version?  The only issue I had with my older 900 was at times it took several attempts (pushing the button numerous times) to get it to range.  Are the Rangemasters more responsive?  I have a Leupold RX I use for bowhunting, it is snappy quick with ranges where my older 900 was very slow IMO to function.  Thanks.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 22:08
I played with our trade in Leupy RX3 I thought it was quite difficult to range with in the wharehouse. The Leica pops off everytime almost instant. The only time I had problems with it was ranging beyond 1000 yards on small objects. I never had to push it more than three times at that range. I think it was mostly due to how windy it was when I ranged that 1250 and the object I was ranging was pretty small to be ranging at that distance. It was one of things where you are like man this thing is pretty good. Then you find the smallest thing farthest away and say hmmm I wonder if it will range that? It did I was surprised. 0-1000 I put it spot on and it spits the yardage out 1st time almost everytime.

Edited by Chris Farris II - February/27/2008 at 22:10
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 00:12
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

I played with our trade in Leupy RX3 I thought it was quite difficult to range with in the wharehouse. The Leica pops off everytime almost instant. The only time I had problems with it was ranging beyond 1000 yards on small objects. I never had to push it more than three times at that range. I think it was mostly due to how windy it was when I ranged that 1250 and the object I was ranging was pretty small to be ranging at that distance. It was one of things where you are like man this thing is pretty good. Then you find the smallest thing farthest away and say hmmm I wonder if it will range that? It did I was surprised. 0-1000 I put it spot on and it spits the yardage out 1st time almost everytime.

CRF1200 is absolutely the way to go. Lightning fast, light weight, great optics and LED read out, I ranged objects up 1316 feet so far with very little effort.

Tried the Leupold rx4 thinking with it's TRD system that it would be the way to go for deer hunting. Had issue trying to range past 500 yards. Worked with their customer service, which is excellent, over the phone trying to assist me; we had all the features off and still had problems, even tried a second unit. Terrible and I like Leupold.

If money's a concern, get the Bushnell.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 10:53
With the Leica you have to click it once to bring up the circle and then get the circle on your target and push the button again and it will come back with a reading  If it is to far or maybe to small it will just give you three lines with no numbers.  Everything I have ranged out 1000 yards has worked first try, even some smaller stuff.  Beyond that it gets a little more picky with the small stuff, but I have successfully got reading beyond 1300 yards on juniper trees and rocks. 
Chris II recommended I get the Leica and he was spot on, it is a fantastic piece of equipment. 
I will be using mine at a precision rifle class next weekend and will get a lot of time using it on man sized targets out to 1200 yards, so I will post a report of how well it does when I return.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 11:01

dried up enough to get some long range practice in Sun. ranges a white 5 gallon paint bucket at 1792 yds. with the 8 Swaro.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 14:25
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

dried up enough to get some long range practice in Sun. ranges a white 5 gallon paint bucket at 1792 yds. with the 8 Swaro.

Now that is seriously a long way away. WOW

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 14:40
even more impressive was even being able to see the bucket with 8x.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 21:33
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

even more impressive was even being able to see the bucket with 8x.

Big%20Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic