OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Falcon vs SS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usmc_S/S91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Falcon vs SS
    Posted: January/21/2008 at 14:15

Falcon 10x42 VS Super Sniper 10x42- Which is a better quality scope seeing as they are both about the same Price and the same power. Ive heard good things about both but cant decide on which to get for a new 30-06 project. Whacko

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 15:51
Welcome to The OT!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Usmc_S/S91 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usmc_S/S91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 16:08
Thanks Big%20Smile, Ive just recently discovered this site, been on Snipercentral.com 24/7 Big%20Grin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 16:15
Originally posted by Usmc_S/S91 Usmc_S/S91 wrote:

Thanks Big%20Smile, Ive just recently discovered this site, been on Snipercentral.com 24/7 Big%20Grin

Glad your here. SC is a great site.

We are partial to Super Snipers over here.....Wink 

EDIT TO ADD:
I haven't seen a Falcon scope.

Edited by cheaptrick - January/21/2008 at 16:19
Brooks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 09:37
Falcon will be a Brit import marketed by Sniper Central and Super Sniper by SWFA.  It would be interesting to see an unbiased comparison.  I'll bet it will be too close to call.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 11:45
Anybody over at Sniper Central, or elsewhere, tried Falcon's CS dept yet??  
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 11:52
when falcon has the track record in real world use it might be possible to compare the two until then-- ss all the way
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2008 at 08:42
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

when falcon has the track record in real world use it might be possible to compare the two until then-- ss all the way

There is something to be said about the Super Sniper haveing been PROVEN ---- TESTED IN COMBAT---PROVEN RELIABLE.   Sorry, but you couldnt sell me a falcon.Poker

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2008 at 09:40
ss and aimpoint have a 1000 lab technicians that try to break their product every day (military)
Trot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2008 at 10:01
So far, Falcon's CS from Robert Snyder (from has been a pleasant yet painful experience.

Last year, I bought the merlin model, and put it on my 300 win mag, sadly one of the optics came loose on the first shot. I sent an email to Rob, and it was replaced with a new scope for free.
And... unfortunately, the replacement scope is also faulty, the crosshair is crooked and so this is going back too.
The good thing is that, Rob stands behind his product with a no-question ask policy so far! Decent man!

As far as clicks and optics clarity, they are great for the money. Hopefully I am getting a good replacement this time, or I will just move on with IOR or NF. Btw, Bushnell 6500s look very attractive!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2008 at 11:20
Sorry to hear.

On a brighter note, the SuperSniper is a great scope!  And still available for purchase.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2008 at 09:01
about 1.5-2 years back, i bought a falcon menace 10X42 1/4MOA MP20 to try out against a SS. bought it from mel, they day he got the first shipment in, falcon was almost unheard of at the time.

got it, and started comparing directly with the SS10X42, and SS10X42M. glass was similar to that of the rear focus SS, and a little brighter than the side focus model. and i personally liked the knobs better, but the SS knobs were much more audible, and could feel the clicks better.

never really got to try to torture test it as the second time to the range to do the box test the elevation turret came off in my hand when i was running it. returned it to mel, had a new one in 2 weeks, and ebayed it. once a scope fails for me, i give it no second chances.

not to mention all the other falcons that have been failing lately, the objectives seem to like to fall off the variable models.

IMO a SS is the only "tactical" scope under about $1500 i would buy, besides maybe a bushnell 4200 6-24. all my SS's keep on ticking, the one S10X42 i used in that comparison, ive had for about 6 years and has been on more rifles that most people own in their life time.
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
TwoLaneBlackTop View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoLaneBlackTop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2008 at 09:28

The Super Sniper was issued a National Stock Number, that speaks louder than any written hype! The falcon products look like decent scopes. I was researching them just a few hours ago as I am planning on purchasing a super sniper in the next few days myself and wanted to check the competition. After reading about both scope as I came to the conclusion that in the Super Snipers price range there is no actual competition! Nothing else is close to it in terms of the overall package in this price range (arguably, nothing is close until you spend at least  double the price!) . Take into account optical quality, quality of materials, quality of construction, range of adjustment, repeatability, durability, proven track records, etc....

I would take the super sniper (side or rear focus) over a falcon any day! The super sniper is the real deal! It seems there are countless tactical scopes on the market today; how many can lay claim to actually being issued a contract by any military that is part of NATO? Not many, and even less can say they were issued a contract by the greatest and most advanced military on the face of the earth!

The choice is a no brainer in my opinion. And the Flacon, it uses Japanese glass, but the majority of the components come from China.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2008 at 10:52
Good stuff, Gentlemen. Thank you all.

So few products live up to their claims these days. 
For me at least, the Super Sniper not only lives up to the hype, it exceeds it. 
Why bother picking up a SS "clone", when you can have the real deal? 
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 05:30
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

not to mention all the other falcons that have been failing lately, the objectives seem to like to fall off the variable models.

Not all of them.  The 4-14 uses a one piece tube and has never had this problem.  Actually very few problems of any sort have been reported with that model.  I don't think I'd recommend the two piece models for rough use, but the 4-14 is a different story.

Anyway, it's no S&B, but I'm quite happy with mine so far--considering the price paid I'm overjoyed with it.  When the next scope up that offers the similar features is a $1500 IOR, it's hard not to be.  It gives my little 7-08 hits out to 1100 yds and back again with ease.  Not quite as "nice" as scopes costing 5-10 times as much, but everything works.  Controls/operation/units are all the same as your $3000 "real" tactical scopes so it makes an outstanding trainer.
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

If this is a SS "clone" please tell me where I can buy the real thing.  A variable, FFP GenII copy reticle, sidefocus, .1 Mil clicks...sort of hard to call that a SS "clone" until there's a SS made with those features.  Trust me, if such a SS was made I'd be all over it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 12:08
Mr. A, I was referring to redneckbmxer's 10x42mm Falcon as a SS clone, not the......"variable, FFP GenII copy reticle, sidefocus, .1 Mil clicks" model you mentioned, or any other variable, FFP Gen II copy reticle, sidefocus, .Mil clicks scopes...that obviously wouldn't be like the Super Sniper out there either. 
Sin loi. 
Skunk View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 15:43

The Falcon is made in China?  That says it all right there.

Let me give you my two scents worth
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 20:52
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Not all of them.  The 4-14 uses a one piece tube and has never had this problem.  Actually very few problems of any sort have been reported with that model.  I don't think I'd recommend the two piece models for rough use, but the 4-14 is a different story.

Anyway, it's no S&B, but I'm quite happy with mine so far--considering the price paid I'm overjoyed with it.  When the next scope up that offers the similar features is a $1500 IOR, it's hard not to be.  It gives my little 7-08 hits out to 1100 yds and back again with ease.  Not quite as "nice" as scopes costing 5-10 times as much, but everything works.  Controls/operation/units are all the same as your $3000 "real" tactical scopes so it makes an outstanding trainer.
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

If this is a SS "clone" please tell me where I can buy the real thing.  A variable, FFP GenII copy reticle, sidefocus, .1 Mil clicks...sort of hard to call that a SS "clone" until there's a SS made with those features.  Trust me, if such a SS was made I'd be all over it.

so your comparing your peice of crap chinese made toilet paper roll with some lenses in it to a $3000 "real tactical scope" assuming your talking about S&B, and USO... LOL thats just too funny.

if falcon even BEGAN to compare to S&B, or USO, then S&B, and USO would be out of business.

you buy a $300 chinese scope, and you will get just that. you buy a $3000 german, or US made scope, and you will get just that.

mention your scope is a decent scope, but DONT act like you have a S&B.

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
TwoLaneBlackTop View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoLaneBlackTop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 21:03
Originally posted by Skunk Skunk wrote:

The Falcon is made in China?  That says it all right there.

Well the glass is made in Japan.
The body and all the sub-assembly parts are made in China.
The scope is said to have the final assembly in England.

I don't know how much assembly takes place at the location in England.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 21:33

so your comparing your peice of crap chinese made toilet paper roll with some lenses in it to a $3000 "real tactical scope" assuming your talking about S&B, and USO... LOL thats just too funny.

Which part of:
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Controls/operation/units are all the same as your $3000 "real" tactical scopes so it makes an outstanding trainer.

did you not understand?
Quote but DONT act like you have a S&B.

But I do.  Why can't I act like it?

Since I don't use them to make my living or keep me alive, not all of my rifles get $3000 allocated to them for optics.  More affordable, functional scopes with the correct features are a nice choice to have for the correct application.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic