OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.243 scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .270s&w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .243 scope
    Posted: January/22/2008 at 00:33
Hi, Iam new to the site and looking for a beginner 3x9x40 scope for my wifes .243. A few people have told me the nikon buckmaster and leupold rifleman were good. Looking to spend only around $200. Any suggestions? Thanks--john
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 01:07
Since your price range is $200, there are three that come to my mind.....The Bushnell Elite 3200 w/Rainguard,,,,,,,,,,,,the Nikon Buckmaster,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the Burris Fullfield........... I do not consider these to be just starter scopes, but instead good quality scopes for the money that will last a lifetime!..........................Of these three, its really a toss up here! Any glass quality in optics would be negligible! But knowing the boys, my guess from 1st place to 3rd would be,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nikon, Burris then the 3200! I could be wrong though!................Lose the Leupold Rifleman! The gold ring isn`t big enough!!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 04:22
The scopes you mentioned are all nice scopes...although, I have only owned one of the ones you mentioned...the Bushnell 3200.  I liked it a lot. ( I sold the rifle with the scope on it some time ago.)

However, Nikon has just changed their whole line-up around recently. The fellas here on this site have told me that the FORMER Nikon Monarch UCC is NOW the Nikon Team Primos scope. The old Nikon Monarch was a fantastic scope ( I had one of them, too!) that was a step above the Buckmaster ( A REAL BIG STEP!). Right now the 3X9 Nikon Team Primos is being sold on this site--SWFA--for just over $200!! THAT has got to be the BEST BUY in the $219 dollar range in America today!!

Check it out in the Rifle Scope section.  Big%20Smile           --Ed
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 07:28
For 200.00 my first choice would be the Sightron SII 3-9X42. Good optics, very forgiving eye relief for a beginner and a simply great scope for 199.00.

Big Squeeze is very correct about the Gold Ring. Of the 5 or 6 scopes mentioned on this post, the Rifleman would rank the lowest in glass quality.

Rob

Edited by Brock_Brett - January/22/2008 at 07:34
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 07:32
There you have it.......the sightron ll is a very nice scope. The team primos is the best recommended of the group. The 3200 is a nice scope as well on the order of the sightron ll. The fullfield ll is luck of the draw with some great right out of the box and some a disappointment. I got one of the disappointments :>( You have some good scopes for the $ to choose from....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 08:11
everyone has nailed it ... Between the primos and the 3200 --I would say it's a toss up -- Rainguard  on the 3200 vs a slight edge in brightness fro the Primos...The FF II and the Sightron are also good scopes, but just not  quite the value that the 3200 and the Primos are.

Edited by martin3175 - January/22/2008 at 08:11
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 08:33
First choice the 3200......then the sightron....IMHO
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 12:07
I would go with the burris or the nikon.  Both are decent scopes.  One advantage of going with burris, is for the $200 they usually throw in a pair of binos, or a spotting scope with it.  Although the free item isn't the best around, they can be useful.  Just a thought.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 18:38
Being that it appears somewhat of a toss up between 3200 and Primos,  I assume you would all say 4200 better than all mentioned above? (Yes, I realize its more $$, just a question........)
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 18:47
You may also consider a fixed 4x or 6x scope to make things simple, of the 3x9 scopes listed, I personally like the bushnell, then nikon.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 22:23
This is the first post that I have seen that compared the Monarch with a 3200...... most of the posts I've seen compare the Monarch (Primos) with the 4200.  The only issue I see with the Primos is the reticle.
take em!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 07:45
Originally posted by robbie robbie wrote:

Being that it appears somewhat of a toss up between 3200 and Primos, I assume you would all say 4200 better than all mentioned above? (Yes, I realize its more $$, just a question........)

The primos will be about the same as the 4200 for optics but no rainguard. The 3200 will be less optically but have rainguard. The 4200 will have both.....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic