OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

High-end 300 win mag or 7 mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High-end 300 win mag or 7 mag
    Posted: January/22/2008 at 22:55
I am thinking about buying one or the other and wanted to know what company makes the best rifle in these calibers? Any input would help
thanks
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 23:15
If your budget is unlimited or wide open, there is the "Ed Brown" line,,,,,,"Hill Country",,,,,,,,"Weatherby Customs",,,,,,,,,,,,"Dakota Arms",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"HS Precision",,,,,,,just to name a few!! I`m sure that either, they can build or supply you with your caliber of choice!
noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 23:26
I own both a Remington and a Sauer in 300...  I prefer the Sauer for accuracy, handling, carry and build; though "Best" may mean something different to you than me...

If you are after an out of the box rifle that will shoot strait and have alot of aftermarket support... then the Rem 700 can't be beat.

I would suggest figuring:
1. What will the rifle will be use for
2. What stock fits that purpose and your build (This also includes wood or syn.)
3. Mag or no mag
5. Bases milled in rifle or as a seperate item

I would also suggest looking into the Tikka, Sako and the new TC (Though I think there may not be a 7mm - 300 WM option yet)

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 23:36
the best in the world are GAPrecision in Kansas City and Tac Ops in Hollywood Ca.  I happen to have a GAPrecision 300 Win Mag and it is absolutely without a doubt the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. One thing though it will only use virgin brass or factory new ammo and I shoot the 190 SMK either Fed or BH or my own loads same specs as Fed at 2900fps   (BH is 2950flps).  Mine is tactical set up with a folding AI stock with 5 & 10 round magazines.  He does build somehunting rilfes also.  Note that his barrels are quite heavy contour typically on the sniper rifles.  If I was looking for an off the shelf gun Id either go Sako or Savage with accutrigger.  Also worth note the 3oo WSM while about the same balistics seems to have a worse muzzleblast. Another hunting gun option might be an encore frame single shot with a custom Bullberry barrel and custom stock and fore arm -  this would be a much lighter rig if you need to carry it in rough country.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/22/2008 at 23:47

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 04:21
As long as we're just throwing names in a hat, why don't you check out ( and tell us all about it!!) the CZ Ultimate Hunting Rifle in 300 Win Mag?  If I had just piles of money to burn, I would order one of them and then put a nice expensive Smarty Pants scope Naughty on top! HA! 

Christmas%20List                    --Ed
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 05:54
Define "best" and that will tell us if you want Accuary International or Empire.  Now, if you want to spend less than five grand, what do you want to spend and we can work it from there? 

Edited by silver - January/23/2008 at 05:56
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 09:20
or the other way and really get the "best" H&H at $100000 or beretta and kreighoff at $10,000 to $20000
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 09:48
texashunter,
It's almost impossible to answer any topic that includes the word "best" because you start getting into too many subjective opinions.  What's "best" for me might not be "best" for you.  By best, do you mean accuracy?  Beauty/craftsmanship?  Custom made specifically for you and your preferences?  "Best" factory rifle you can buy off the shelf?  The answer to each of those in most cases points to entirely different rifles made to entirely different design philosophies.  The most accurate rifle you can possibly have built is likely to be a poor choice as a hunting rifle, because it isn't likely to be very portable and handy in the woods.  The most beautiful piece of work produced by a member of the American Custom Gunmakers' Guild will cost about the same as a fully loaded SUV and unless you're ultra wealthy, you won't want to hunt hard with it for fear of beating it up.  Although there are some really good factory rifles to choose from, there is no such thing as "best" there, because they are all compromises to fit within a certain price point, and different people prefer different features in rifle actions and stock designs.

In order to get a good answer to your question, you'll need to narrow things down a bit by answering the following:
What is the maximum you're willing to spend for the rifle only?
How do you intend to use this rifle (hunting from a blind, spot and stalk hunting, foul weather hunting, mountain hunting, etc.)?
Do you prefer glossy or satin wood finishes?  Shiny or matte finished metal finishes?  Blued or stainless steel?  Wood or synthetic stocks?
Bolt action, semi auto, single shot?

I'm not trying to be flippant with you here, there's just so many great rifles available that you're not going to get a consensus answer, and what may be considered the best, high end choice for one application won't be for another.

Edited by RifleDude - January/23/2008 at 09:53
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
texashunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 15:09
I am looking for one that is below 5 grand and Stainless with a great deal of reliability and accuracy with bolt action
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 10:17
how do kimbers and cooper compare to sako?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 11:08
Originally posted by texashunter texashunter wrote:

how do kimbers and cooper compare to sako?

I don't have any experience with the new Sako 85, but I do have plenty of experience with the previous Sako models.  On paper and in pictures, I like a lot of the 85 features, some I don't.  It really comes down to personal preference.

Cooper will generally be the most accurate of the 3.  Sako has more of a Euro look to it.  Kimber provides a lot of quality for the price.  Coopers will generally have the best wood quality, and you can select the wood grade you want.  The Kimber is the lightest of the bunch, so if you plan to do a lot of spot and stalk hunting, the Kimber will be the most handy of the bunch.  I can tell you the Cooper and Kimber are fantastic rifles.  The Sako probably is based on previous Sako experience, but the jury's really still out on it, since it is new.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 16:45

The Coopers are nice but I dont think they come in 300 win mag or 7mag, so If you were going to buy one with stainless steal in 300 win mag which would you buy?

Thanks for the advice
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 16:58
I agree with Ted.  There is no best rifle, regardless of cost.  What one person wants out of a premium rifle may be totally different than what another person wants.  I personally am going through the decision of buying any upper end rifle and Ted has been helping me rifles I have never handled, but am very interested in, because I want something different.  You are right, the Coopers do not come in the calibers you want and it sounds as though you want a hunting rifle for big game and would want a repeater, as opposed to a single shot.  Or maybe not.  After all of the research, I would prefer the Sako 75 over the 85.  I just do not like the small recoil lug that sits in not only the stock, but a piece of stamped metal attached to the stock by two small wood screws.  Kimber offers the best value in the upper end segment, that is if you like their style.  Some people prefer the Wby. style.  I personally can find plenty of space in my closet for both.  But, this time out, its going to be either a Cooper or Kimber in a 204 Ruger, I already own plenty of Wbys. and I cannot afford a 416 or 460, two of the few calibers I do not own.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 17:13
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

I just do not like the small recoil lug that sits in not only the stock, but a piece of stamped metal attached to the stock by two small wood screws. 

While I'm not sure that would sway me away from buying the rifle, I have to agree with you there.  I don't for the life of me understand what Sako thought the advantage was with milling away the center rib underneath the action to form that tiny little recoil lug, then screwing a metal strap inside the stock to provide something for it to mate to.  I mean, why is that better than what they already had?  They are obviously using the same raw receiver blank that the 75 used with some enhancements, because the slot the 75 used for its recoil lug is still there.  I don't understand what was wrong with the 75's recoil lug to begin with -- it was a simple arrangement, easy to manufacture, and worked very well.  I just don't get it.

Otherwise, I like the enhancements they made to the 85's action, the improvements to bolt smoothness (which was already very smooth in the 75), and the aesthetic changes -- to the wood stocked model, that is.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 17:37
Originally posted by texashunter texashunter wrote:

The Coopers are nice but I dont think they come in 300 win mag or 7mag, so If you were going to buy one with stainless steal in 300 win mag which would you buy?

Thanks for the advice

Cooper doesn't make an all stainless rifle anyway.  On the models with stainless barrels, the action is carbon steel.  If I were looking for a high end, all stainless rifle, I would probably go with the Kimber 8400 Montana.  This is a synthetic stock rifle, which, with few exceptions, is what you mostly find with stainless rifles.  The only knock against it is that it has a blind magazine, so you will have to cycle the bolt to unload the magazine rather than drop a floorplate or remove a detachable magazine.  They used a blind magazine to keep weight to an absolute minimum, as this is a hardcore lightweight mountain rifle.  The blind magazine isn't a big deal to me, but to some, it may be.  It's available in .300 mag, but not 7mm mag, unless you go with the WSM model, which is available in 7WSM, a ballistic twin of the 7RM, except in a short action version.
Or, for a little something different, the Rifles Inc. "Strata Stainless" is the ultimate ultralight "mountain" style rifle.  Rifles Inc. usually uses Lilja barrels, so their rifles are very accurate despite their super light weight.  They are custom rifles, so you can choose any caliber and stock finish you want, as long as you want a synthetic stock.
If you want a stainless rifle with a wood stock, I'd go with the Remington Model 700 CDL SF, which includes a nice looking stock (though not usually with high grade wood, although I've seen some that were pretty), a fluted barrel, and is available in 7mm Rem Mag and .300 WSM.  I think the combination of stainless and wood looks great together, but few rifle manufacturers offer this combination.

The Browning A-Bolt White Gold Medallion is another nice rifle in stainless and wood combination, and it is available in both 7mag and 300mag.  It has a gloss finished stock in a Monte Carlo style, while the Remington has a classic shaped stock with satin finished wood. 

For something really high end in a stainless rifle with synthetic stock, the Schuerman Arms SA40 has one of the most unique actions I've ever seen.  You can get it in any caliber you want, since it is a semi-custom rifle.  It's pretty pricey, but it is one of the most cleverly designed bolt actions I've ever seen.  It features both controlled round feeding AND totally enclosed bolt face AND mechanical ejection AND 3 locking lugs (that cam into position when the bolt is closed), all in the same action!  It's hard to describe its features here, and to fully appreciate it, you have to work the action.  The triggers are fantastic, and the workmanship is as good as it gets!  The bolt is a very complex assembly, but it's extremely smooth working, and the action overall is very strong!  The owner told me they use only match grade barrel blanks from the big name suppliers for their barrels.  Even among the most jaded rifle nuts, most have never even heard of this rifle.  The only reason I even know about them is because they had a booth at the Dallas Safari Club show a couple years ago.  Pull one of these babies out of the case at hunting camp or the range, and you're almost assured nobody around you will have one, much less ever seen one.  So, if you're willing to go all out on a truly unique piece of equipment built like the proverbial Swiss watch, the SA40 is worth consideration. 
Look under the "more features" section of the site to see some closeups of this awesome, unique rifle.  If you want the very best stainless rifle made by mortals here on earth, this may very well be it.  It will fit into your $5K stated budget, but just barely.

Edited by RifleDude - January/24/2008 at 18:02
Ted

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 18:05

I had a winchester model 70 300 win mag and the kick didnt bother me, but do you think with these extreme light weight guns like the kimber, that the kick would be a problem?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 18:14

You will definitely have more felt recoil, no doubt.  There is no free lunch.

I don't find recoil from the 7mag/300mag class cartridges in a lightweight rifle to be unmanageable.  However, I'm about as recoil sensitive as a blacksmith anvil, so... your mileage may vary.  You can always add a brake, but that also increases muzzle blast.  However, when you install a brake, usually the smith will also provide a thread protector.  So, you use the brake while shooting from a bench where recoil is more of a problem, but where you will always be wearing hearing protection.  Then, when hunting, unscrew the brake and screw on the thread protector.  When shooting at game, you usually won't notice recoil and you won't be firing very many shots.

I just throw those rifles out as options.  The Remington and Browning stainless and wood rifles will be the typical standard weight for those calibers.

If you have a $5K budget limit, and you want a super high end stainless rifle, you really owe it to yourself to check out the Schuerman arms SA40 I mentioned, though... that is, if you want a synthetic stock with your stainless steel rifle.
Ted

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 08:34
did I see a gold ring on that schuerman???
recoil to some degree is subjective, but mostly stock design. a wide pad and cant in the
forward part of the comb does wonders, but these are all custom stocks and usually synthetic, kevlar and graphite in the good ones -- no injection mouldings.
check this reference and their web site-- nula's deal direct with the issue of recoil in light rifles
also with the money you have allocated, consider the type of receiver cast or milled
my personal choice in this price range is a surgeon razor--- picatinny rail milled into the receiver as well as the receiver.
SamC View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 23:43
How about something like this, I think you can get this in a couple of different calibers http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=212274428
Sam

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
Winston Churchill
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 23:47
Wow!  Sam, you raised another Lazarus!!  Big Smile  Sorry, no offense.  I have done the same thing a time or two.  Seems to have happened of late here.  Guess I get to review some old threads and see more advice.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic