OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

shipping a firearm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shipping a firearm
    Posted: January/26/2008 at 15:37
(To Cheaptrick)..........Excellent         ( that little popcorn guy is a hoot!! He can be used all the time for any occasion! Especially around here..)   FUNNY. ..............and the Marvin Beaverdip story is even more hilarious than the name!!                           --Ed
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 15:47
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Hey, marvinbeaverdip, now that all the details have been worked out, I'd be curious to hear about the origin of your username...Wink

Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
marvinbeaverdip View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvinbeaverdip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 15:34
fairly dumb -long story.. Several years ago I was on a motorcycle email list for the particular bike I own (prior to these forums which are now common). Somehow I got booted off (arguing with one guy who whined all the time), So I had to make another email address in order to come back. I thought I'd create an alternate personality too, so I invented Marvin Beaverdip, along with an entirely false profile, just to give that guy a little more Sh*t.  It was sort of the final straw for that list anyway, as it was kind of old by then, lots of people had sold there bikes and moved on to something else, and those of us that were left for the most part just BS'd with each other every day. That guy didn't appreciate that.  Childish? sure. Fun? yeah.. It's the username that I've used from then on as a default. I'm much nicer now Bucky
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 14:55
Hey, marvinbeaverdip, now that all the details have been worked out, I'd be curious to hear about the origin of your username...Wink
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvinbeaverdip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 10:39
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

perfect! thanks for the info. So now I just need to find a friendly dealer around here.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 10:35

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvinbeaverdip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 09:59
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Register at http://gunbroker.com/, then open up "how do I buy". You will then be directed to enter your zip code and a list of FFL's in your area will appear. I've been paying $15 for several years in the S.E. Michigan area.
OK, thanks. I think I'm already registered there because I want to sell my old .22 and 12 gauge. I've got a couple shops nearby that I frequent, and I think they'd be willing to take a transfer.
Do you have to declare that it is a firearm when shipping it? I mean, is there paperwork that needs to be filled out by the shipper? or is it just a matter of; if you were caught "receiving" a firearm in the mail without an FFL you could be in big trouble?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 08:11
Register at http://gunbroker.com/, then open up "how do I buy". You will then be directed to enter your zip code and a list of FFL's in your area will appear. I've been paying $15 for several years in the S.E. Michigan area.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 06:51
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Dang Ted, you've been gettin it up the rear if you have to pay $50 for a transfer.... last I checked in Omaha, it was more like $10.00!

It varies from dealer to dealer, though $10 is really cheap.  I can't say I've ever seen anyone who charges that little for a transfer down here.  I used $50 off the top of my head; I don't remember what I paid the last time I did a transfer.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 21:56
Dang Ted, you've been gettin it up the rear if you have to pay $50 for a transfer.... last I checked in Omaha, it was more like $10.00!
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 18:19
It doesn't have to be shipped FROM a gunshop, but it does have to be shipped TO a FFL licensed dealer, who will typically charge you a nominal transfer fee; something like $50 or so to complete the BATFE form and call in for the criminal background check. 
Ted

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvinbeaverdip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 17:20
What is required to do this? does it have to be done from one gunshop to another? I'm talking about a private sale, a gun shipped from CA to MN.  THanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic