OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles vs. Swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erich10931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles vs. Swarovski
    Posted: February/04/2008 at 18:12
I am looking to put a Kahles 3x12 56mm Helia C or Swarovski 3x12 50mm professional hunter.  Both are illuminated recticle models.  The scope will go on a 270 wsm that I hunt whitetail and hogs in South Texas.

On the sample list the swaro is 600 dollars more. 

Is it worth it? Is there a 600 dollar difference?  What are the pros and cons of going with the Kahles?

I am really torn. Whacko
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 18:23
bigger objective with the helia, cheaper price, both are excellent quality thats a tough one i would save the money i guess
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 18:26
I think when it comes to the Kahles C or the Swarovski PH we have some of the best hunting scopes available. Contrast, resolution and low light performance are second to none. The scopes are solid and rugged. I think they are both very close but the value belongs to the Kahles.
BIgDawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIgDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 21:32

I struggled with this one about three weeks ago.  I went with the Kahles.  I have it in hand now and all I can say is WOW!  I would have said the same thing if I had bought the Swarovski, I would just say it with $600 dollars less in my pocket.  I am VERY happy with the decision and if I had it to do all over again I would not change a thing.  Hope this helps. 

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 22:24
Originally posted by BIgDawg BIgDawg wrote:

I struggled with this one about three weeks ago.  I went with the Kahles.  I have it in hand now and all I can say is WOW!  I would have said the same thing if I had bought the Swarovski, I would just say it with $600 dollars less in my pocket.  I am VERY happy with the decision and if I had it to do all over again I would not change a thing.  Hope this helps. 

I'm seeing that the objectives are getting larger and larger with some optic manufacturers.  Just how high is that scope sitting at 56mm? Did you have to change the way you rest your cheek or did you add an addional rest onto your rifle? Sorry, I haven't seen a 56mm yet up but I'm sure I will soon the way this trend seems to be going.

Happy hunting!!! Big%20Smile

Edited by mike650 - February/04/2008 at 23:17
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 12:06
No,no,no,  The swaro is not worth 600 more dollars. Look at the riflescope optical rating scale that Chris put together. The Kahles rates higher. Good Luck.
abailey54
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 12:14
as stated the swaro is not worth the extra money, it is a good scope but in my opinion not better than the kahles you are looking at.  I have a C 3-12X56 and it is ridiculously good.
Robert
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 11:33
Originally posted by abailey54 abailey54 wrote:

No,no,no,  The swaro is not worth 600 more dollars. Look at the riflescope optical rating scale that Chris put together. The Kahles rates higher. Good Luck.

If you read the Scope Scale Discussion Thread/TBONE2007 by Chris Farris, the Kahles C, CS, CL, CSX, KX and CBX were lumped together because they're the same optically and it appears they were rated an 8.  The Kahles CL with Multi-zero is rated 9.5. The Swarovski American & PH is rated a 9.  I apologize if I'm misreading it. Still not sure $600+  for the PH  is worth the extra dinero except if you're into customer service if you have issues, etc. SONA's excellent, not sure about the current situation with Kahles here in the USA.

I already asked this earlier on this thread but did not receive a response. Smile Is the 56mm objective creating a problem for some, are they repositioning the way they rest their head, are they adding an aftermarket cheek rest, etc.? I haven't seen one yet so I don't know and I've read where some knock the 50mm for this reason but the 56mm is even larger.

I just reread the original post by Erich10931 and the scopes he's looking for are illumination as well. I haven't seen a Kahles or Swarovski with illumination, only pictures, but I definitely like the way the Kahles C is setup vs. the PH.

2007 T-Bone Riflescope Optical Rating Scale

10 - Swarovski Z6, Zeiss Victory

9.5 - Kahles CL MultiZero

9 - Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski PH & American, Zeiss Classic

8.5 - X.O.T.I.C.

8 - Kahles KX

7.5 - Zeiss Conquest

7 - Leupold VX-7, IOR Valdada

6.5 - Bushnell Elite 4200, Nightforce, Nikon Monarch

6 - Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Weaver Grand Slam

5.5 - Burris Black Diamond XTR & Euro

5 - Burris Signature Select, Meopta, Pentax Lightseeker, Super Sniper, Trijicon

4.5 - Sightron

4 - Bushnell Elite 3200, Leupold VX-II, Simmons Aetec (pre-Meade)

3.5 - Nikon Buckmaster

3 -  Burris Fullfield II, Leupold Rifleman & VX-I, Millet, Mueller, Redfield USA

2.5 - Leatherwood, Simmons, Swift

2 - ATN, Tasco

1.5 - Barska, Leapers

1 - BSA, NcStar

Edited by mike650 - February/08/2008 at 23:47
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic