OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope recommendations for .17 HMR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APEXDUCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 14:37
Received the Cabela's Pine Ridge 17 tactical with side focus in 3-12x.  Sent it back.  Did not even compare to the 6-18x model in quality.  Similar look but the optics were messed up.  Several dark areas that looked like possible defects in the lens coating.  Was very disappointed with this scope after I was so impressed with the 6-18x version.  Ordered a Millett Silver 4 - 12 x 40 side focus as well as a Mueller APV 4.5-14x AO.  I'm very impressed with both of these scopes.  Plus the price is good on both.  Very high quality for 1/3 the money of equal scopes I have seen. 

APEXDUCK
Everyone is entitled to be stupid. Somefolks just abuse the opportunity !
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 15:19
I have a Ruger m77/17 heavy barrel. I tried the BSA Sweet 17 after 30 days I was frustrated beyond sanity. I now have a Leupold VX11 6x18x40 and am finally happy. I guess its what your willing to put up with. The BSA just would not stay stay on zero. The Leupold has been GREAT. I dont know your budget but I would NOT RECOMMEND the BSA.Kick in a little extra and go for quality you will be more happy in the long run. 
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 18:30
  I myself have one of the new Savage bolt actions in .17 HMR, it's the stainless heavy barrel with laminated thumbhole stock..real sweet shooter. I had ( notice the past tense) a BSA Sweet 17 scope on it that did not make me very happy due to difficulty in achieving zero ( not the mounts either) and very fuzzy image resolution when dialed up.Off it came and on it went a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42. Perfecto!!! Focus winds down to 50 yards, it's crystal clear even when dialed up and was a cinch to zero, and with the ballistic plex reticle it's easy to holdover for longer shots.
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
JRT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 21:52
Originally posted by W1ldcat W1ldcat wrote:

And money is only paper and paper is wood and wood is trees and trees grow everywhere. I know that, so send me some and I'll use your advice 

Yes, those would be nice...

I was scavenging through older posts for info when I ran across the quoted post above.  

You might be interested to know that all US Currency is printed on Marathon High Durability Substrate made from 75% cotton, 25% linen, not including the materials used in various security features, manufactured by Crane and Co. of Dalton Massachusetts.   So, money does not grow on or in trees; at least the US' money doesn't.  

I have a lot to learn about scopes (and most everything else), so the best I can do for now is share some useless off topic trivia that I do know.   Clown

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 23:38
Enjoy the forum and welcome to the OT JTR . It is very refreshing to see one that searches the past to find the future.  Wink

Edited by 3_tens - July/07/2010 at 23:42
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 06:28
A long dead thread that was brought back to life. And, with some interesting triviaThunbs Up

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic