OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope recommendations for .17 HMR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Somebody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2004 at 21:05

Does anybody know for sure how low the adjustable objective range is on the Burris and BSA scopes?

Thanks!

larryh38 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larryh38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2004 at 03:58

Excellent information on the application and how to on scopes....  Chris...

Larry

Larry
larryh38 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larryh38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2004 at 07:03
chris.... does ring height make a lot of difference on this trajectory. ?
Larry
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2004 at 16:35

Somebody,

Burris 4.5-14 goes down to 50 yds. (or at least that is the last marking on the a/o)

BSA 2-7 and 3-12 goe down to 7.5 yds.

BSA 6-18 goes down to 15 yds. 

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2004 at 16:51

larryh38,

BSA took an average ring height into consideration as their base line for reticle height above the bore and claim that ring height will not affect the scopes performance.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2005 at 17:13

Bushnell is making a new 17 Super scope in the 3.5-10x35 Banner line that has a bullet drop compensator for .22 and or .17 HMR.

Bushnell Super 17 3.5-10x35.....$89.95

serpavy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serpavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2005 at 05:10

Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

BSA 2-7 and 3-12 goe down to 7.5 yds.

Hi Chris,

Are you sure that the BSA sweet17 3-12X40 have the parallax regulation

from 7,5 yds?

STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2005 at 20:09
Burris Ballistic Plex is probably the best scope for a 17 HMR. I have one on my Ruger and it is a perfect match.
W1ldcat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W1ldcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2005 at 17:02

Hi All,

I just found and joined this forum. Lots of good information here.

I bought a CZ 452 in .17HRM yesterday and I'm shopping for a scope to put on

it. I like the Burris 4-12X42. I just wish the price was lower and the spotting scope

wasn't included. Still shopping...

WC

waltere View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2005 at 19:14
Why not just purchase a decent Leupold or Swarovski?  I know that they're a little more expensive but what the heck...  is only money
W1ldcat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W1ldcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2005 at 04:21

And money is only paper and paper is wood and wood is trees and trees grow everywhere. I know that, so send me some and I'll use your advice 

Yes, those would be nice...

Reyn 61 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reyn 61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2005 at 07:48
I have a 4200 4-16 on one of my 17s and a Simmons 44mag 6.5-20 on another 17. I recently purchased a Burris FFII on another. I love the Ballistic plex. Just make sure you get something with generous eye relief.  
prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2006 at 16:11

I HAVE TWO BSA CONTENDERS AND MAYBE I'M TOO EASY TO PLEASE BUT I LIKE THEM A LOT. ONE IS MOUNTED ON A SAVAGE 17HMR 6X24 AND THE OTHER ON A 10/22 4X16. ONE THING TO BEWARE OF WITH EITHER OF THESE IS THAT THE EYE PLACEMENT IS VERY CRITICAL AND THE ZERO SEEMS TO SHIFT SLIGHTLY. YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND FOR THE PRICE I'M NOT SURE WHAT COMPETITION THEY HAVE. IF YOU WANT A GREAT SCOPE BUY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. IF YOU WANT SOMETHING THATS INEXPENSIVE AND DECENT GIVE BSA A TRY.

catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2006 at 20:13
Don't hang a BSA on a semi-auto or a .308 and expect it to last thirty days.
It want hold up to vibration of the semi or the recoil of the .308.
Inukshuk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inukshuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2006 at 08:07
Well I Have an Anshuntz 22mag and ust put on a Burris 3X-9X Compact R/A X32mm obj, 30mm tube, plus had  the reticle chaged for the Ballistic Plex reticle for ,an extra $50.00. Now I ad it zeroed at 100yrds and it rocks. With this reticle at a  100 zero I have been able to shoot past 200yrds. Pretty good for a 22mag with medum rings.
Catfishsupper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catfishsupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2006 at 18:47

I performed a Google search and found this thread and was reading it with great interest like a book and then all of sudden the story stopped without an ending.

So I joined to ask the thread starter what scope he purchased; I too have bought a .17 HMR with heavy barrel and I'm looking for advice as to the ideal scope for this gun?

I live on 10 acres of land semi wooded with 660 feet x 660 feet property lines.  I plan to eradicate our squirrel population because I planted a fruit orchard and we also have chickens and goats so I don't want coyotes, fox and coons killing my animals.

I feel confident about the gun that I purchased but I have no confidence in selecting the scope to put on it, an Anshutz heavy barrel.  This is a very fine gun and I want to make a wise investment in the scope; some say go with a lower power scope so you can find the squirrels but others say go with a higher power scope because of the .17 HMR's range and then comes the toughest decision, which brand?

I would be grateful to hear from the experienced and informed within your ranks.

larryh38 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larryh38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2006 at 20:52

Catfish Supper.....  I have the 17hmr on a H & R single shot bull barrel rifle and went out to Idaho to shoot whisle pigs,  Coyotes etc... On the 17hmr I have a BSA Sweet 17 variable with a 2 to 7 variable range. Once it was sighted in for a 100 yards and the vertical adjustment was set back to zero if was capable of shooting whistle pigs out to 265 yards which was acomplished. I also have a wide varitity of scopes and there are a lot more in the higher priced areas, but BSA works fine for me on the 17 HMR. Cabelas just introduced a series of variable scopes for the 17HMR and their priced in the low to mid range area... One thing nice about the Cabelas is their warranty policy...  If your not satisfied .... bring it back.....Nobody can match that in the industry on all the products they carry. They have a nice range of variables with adjustable parallax out to infinity.  The cartridge is becoming quite popular and other companies are jumping in on the adjustable range systems for the HMR17.

Larry
Catfishsupper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catfishsupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2006 at 21:13
Thank you for the information.
APEXDUCK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APEXDUCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2006 at 13:12
I have a Cabela's brand Pine Ridge 17 tactical scope 6-18x with side adjustable focus and it works quite well mounted on a CZ American in 17HMR.  This a nice low cost scope with some good features.  China made.  Not anywhere near the quality of a Leupold, Burris or Nikon,  but well below the price point as well.   I started with a BSA 8-32 a friend gave me, but quickly ditch it.  The Pine Ridge scope is clear and sharp edge to edge.  Returns to zero both under focus and magnification change.  I am able (no wind and I do my part) to shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yrds, but the conditions must be perfect for this round to perform this well.   Overall price performance of the scope is very good.   I have a 3-12 on the road I plan to mount on a Ruger 77/22.

APEXDUCK

PS: first time post!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid. Somefolks just abuse the opportunity !
Inukshuk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inukshuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2006 at 03:00
And if money isn't an issue, well why not just get a 2-12x32 IOR
http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03r
And your set for life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic