OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Painting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonutarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Painting
    Posted: February/09/2008 at 08:33
Has anyone tryed this? I like to put silver scopes with my stainless rifles but there in not enough of them around

Do you think it would be worth a shot or would it look stupid? I suppose it depends on the quality of the paint.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 09:14
As far as I know I've never seen it done nor heard of someone doing it.  You are right about not being enough silver scopes around............ and they cost more too!  I wouldn't want to try it out on a high $$ scope!  Would have to practice up on some cheap ones first, but you could probably do it.  Good luck.
take em!
Treestand56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treestand56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 09:55
I don't see why not. Lots of people paint their entire rifle / scope in camo so what difference does the color make. I think you should test a few colors and types of paint first but I'm sure it will work okay. My only hesitation would be if it is a fine rifle which might look funny with a painted scope.

Treestand56

"Yes Ma'am, we know it's hot inside. That's why you called the fire department."
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 10:00
Painting is no problem, covering the lenses from absolutely zero overspray is important. Its a one way street as you can't really ever go back and remove the paint entirely. Lot of guys paint their scopes in varminting and tactical applications. Would hope the scope manufacturer would never use it as an excuse to not perform warranty work.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 11:19
One of the members specialty is coating the whole firearm.  I would not paint the thing silver as it is to hard to match, or why I like black scopes on stainless guns.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 14:17
If you absolutely feel you want to..You could try one of the duracoat vendors..I had a black Sig slide done up in a stainless duracoat and it looks damn near perfect and has proved resilient.  But I have to concur that the warranty will be toast.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 10:47
Didn't we used to just go hunting and stalking up on game in Levi's and blued steel and walnut rifles?  Peeker                     ( anonymous...)        
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 18:41
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Didn't we used to just go hunting and stalking up on game in Levi's and blued steel and walnut rifles?  Peeker                     ( anonymous...)        

Yeah, growing up back in the day we weren't paying hundreds of dollars for a scope or rifle and Ben Davis was the the clothing to hunt/ break brush with. Now it's $1000.00+ optics, custom rifles and camo's.

A silver scope can look awesome on a stainless rifle. I saw a post a few days ago that I can't find right now where someone listed a place that will change the color of your scope offering varity of colors to choose from. If someone reads this and can post a link to that thread  it might be worth looking into. Maybe they can match the scope color to the rifle manufacture.

Good luck!!

Edited by mike650 - February/10/2008 at 18:45
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 18:44
you know a black scope looks fine on a stainless rifle too
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 18:53
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

you know a black scope looks fine on a stainless rifle too

Yeah it does, especially the ones with larger objectives. For hunting, anything over 50mm I'd go matte finish.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 19:17
matte finish, hell ya i hate glossy finished scopes for hunting, kinda defeats the purpose of camo if your sitting there trying to blend in and your scope is giving off a blinding reflection
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 19:44
I saw that place on the internet where you could get your scope painted in any one of two dozen colors! ( like the Sherwin Williams store!).  I guess people can have all kinds of fun with their hobby. That's fine.  Personally, though..........I don't get it. 

Weatherproof, stainless, I get that!  Speckled paint, etc........I don't get that. Whatever.

Whatever blows your skirt up, eh?                         --Ed                 Party

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I saw that place on the internet where you could get your scope painted in any one of two dozen colors! ( like the Sherwin Williams store!).  I guess people can have all kinds of fun with their hobby. That's fine.  Personally, though..........I don't get it. 

Weatherproof, stainless, I get that!  Speckled paint, etc........I don't get that. Whatever.

Whatever blows your skirt up, eh?                         --Ed                 Party

Bam, found it!! It appears they specialize in camo scopes but the color chart shows many shades that may work.

http://www.larsontactical.com/index.html

The original thread.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9511

Yeah, I think the speckled paint is gear more toward the target or competition shooters so if  your a hunter I understand where your coming from but it's all good!! Times have changed and the price for toys is beyond crazy; if your going to drop the coin you might as well get what you want the first time around, Plain Jane or Custom. Bandito
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 06:00
You just have to remember that any painted coating can and will scratch sooner or later. If scope is black underneath it will look a bit wonky when it starts to scratch up. Plan on several paint jobs over the years or buy a silver scope.

I remember those old days ED, hunters hunting in jeans and wool coats.....it would rain and you were soaked to the skin and smelled funny. Wood stocked guns and blued steel (even on a lot of scopes).....hunt in the rain and snow and spend time swabbing down the metal with some smelly solvent to prevent a rust bucket the next day. Boots that didn't really keep your feet warm and using an old magazine for a hot seat. Steel treestands that weighed more than you and jonee warmers too. I sure miss those "good ol days".........NOT! Give me a real weatherproof gun with a "speckled" stock and stainless guts, gore tex and space age insulation, aerial photos and GPS. And LOTS of aluminum........The good old days weren't all that great compared to todays products, I've used both.....trust me.....Oh yeah, and scopes that kinda worked and kinda had decent optics....

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 07:28
uh-oh.............(gulp) ..Say%20What I still hunt in Levi's....and wool and flannel! Bucky   I do have a camoflage, rain-resistant type coat but I don't use it unless it's raining because it's TOO BULKY and fat. I feel like the Michelin Man in it.
I have also been wearing my old tan Carhartt coat for years!!!Peeker   Boy, am I a DINOSAUR! Think of all the game I ran out of the country with that blinding glare from that nasty old black gloss scope on my useless pre-64 Winchester! (hee hee)    Wink 

[ I think I even have a couple of ancient Carbon steel knives laying around, too...]  YikesRoll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing            -- Ed the dinosaur             HA!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 07:56
Yeah Ed you are a bit of a holdover I see, I'm sure you ran all that game to someone........:>)

Focus

Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 08:31
Yes........This is a true story..........I once missed a HUGE antelope out in Wyoming because I over-estimated the range....I was LAYING DOWN in the sagebrush and my perspective was off....and I shot HIGH........WAY OVER.....When he ran away, I stood up and said "oh, hell, he wasn't THAT far away, you moron!!"   Anyway, a week or so later someone from New York shot him correctly.....he was a Boone and Crockett!

Well, that doesn't have anything to do with shiny scopes...........BUT I did run HIM out of the country!! HA!    What a dope I was that day!   Must have been the Levi's!!    Bucky     

Bricked           --Ed
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 08:47
new york huh? hmm
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 09:22
Probably Elmira or Buck Snort or somewhere like that..........
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 09:27
hmm who else do we know from new york??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic