OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Painting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 09:34
caledonia area maybe??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 09:46
STOP ****** Quit sniffing the Krylon silver paint out of that paper bag**Smoking** put down the spray paint.Flame%20Thrower

OK before we go take a scope and make it impossible to mount because of all the paint slopped on it lets go send it to the professionals at God Forbid ---  Leupold Custom Shop.
1-800-LEUPOLD  where you can get a "custom annodised finish" in your choice of colors or multiple colors.  https://secure.leupold.com/customshop/custom_shop.php You can eaven get VXIII  pink with red splatter pattern. So silver is not as much of a problem as you might think and it wont have a sixteenth of an inch of paint to keep it out of your rings.   Now for Tactical Camo Larson Tactical is the deal but those scopes go on and stay put.

Just send money.Party

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/12/2008 at 09:56

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 09:58
Would Leupold put Zeiss glass in the scope, too?!          Shocked
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 10:03
lol they could maybe justify there high price if they did!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 10:30
                  Roll%20Eyes                     ( hey, Pyro, I'm still thinking about Caledonia, NY.Whatever............You don't mean...??............. R**TM*NSL*M!!!!)      EGAD!  ( took me a while...........)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 10:41
hmm ed's smart
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 15:29
Well heres my thoughts on this, they would have to take the scope completely apart I would assume to reannodise it to a different color (didn't know they could go from black to silver). Now will they take any other make scopes apart besides their own? Sounds kinda involved if thats what it requires, paint thickness is not something to worry about or consider also. Heck guys over on the campfire went thru quite a spell of rattle canning gloss leupolds to matte when the great 6x42 scope rage was popular. Couple mills tops on paint thickness, would be a good project for a scratched up or rough outside condition scope for sure.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 17:45
Joe @ Larson Tactical........Thunbs%20Up

He goes by "dilligaf" around these parts and was one of the charter members of this forum. 

Joe's good people.    
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 18:07
I'm such a fossil that I remember when lime dilligaf was the popular expression for us crazy types. Wow haven't heard that in a while.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 12:03
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

Well heres my thoughts on this, they would have to take the scope completely apart I would assume to reannodise it to a different color (didn't know they could go from black to silver). Now will they take any other make scopes apart besides their own? Sounds kinda involved if thats what it requires, paint thickness is not something to worry about or consider also. Heck guys over on the campfire went thru quite a spell of rattle canning gloss leupolds to matte when the great 6x42 scope rage was popular. Couple mills tops on paint thickness, would be a good project for a scratched up or rough outside condition scope for sure.

Focus

I checked with Leupold once about this a couple of years ago and was told they don't refinish existing scopes that you already have.  If you wanted the color of your existing scope altered they referred you to one of their their partners, Spradlin, 719-275-7105.

Unless this has recently changed, to get a scope in a finish other what's normally sold you have to purchase it direct from Leupold and fill out the custom shop form with the color(s) you want. They'll build it and it takes a few weeks before you receive it.

Edited by mike650 - February/13/2008 at 12:15
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jonutarr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonutarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 21:00
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

matte finish, hell ya i hate glossy finished scopes for hunting, kinda defeats the purpose of camo if your sitting there trying to blend in and your scope is giving off a blinding reflection

Ditto

glossy = poison
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 21:26
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I suppose that all depends on how much money you have -  I'm sure they could do something really special for you if you can afford the price.   I must be missing something here as I have passed up several Zeiss scopes in favor of Leupold scopes and my Leupolds seem to kill just fine.   I wouldnt mind having a Diavairi with the rapid z1000 though but saving up 2K to drop into glass is seriously painful when there are so many other interesting toys out there. I can certainly see a nice 1911 in the list ahead of a Zeiss.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 10:59
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I suppose that all depends on how much money you have -  I'm sure they could do something really special for you if you can afford the price.   I must be missing something here as I have passed up several Zeiss scopes in favor of Leupold scopes and my Leupolds seem to kill just fine.   I wouldnt mind having a Diavairi with the rapid z1000 though but saving up 2K to drop into glass is seriously painful when there are so many other interesting toys out there. I can certainly see a nice 1911 in the list ahead of a Zeiss.

Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 15:08
I'm still thinking about the "good old days".  When I started hunting as a kid, I didn't have anything but more blue jeans and more shirts to layer.  I built a lot of fires back in those days.  I graduated to goose down and then to gore tex with some super insulation.  Now I just wear wool.  It's lightweight, warm when wet, and best of all, it breathes better than anything else.  You can put on enough to stay warm early in the morning and still not get hot later in the day.  Filson is the absolute best you can buy. I've been hunting in my Mackinaw Cruiser for more years than I care to remember, and my son will be able to hunt in it if he want's to.  (I don't have any silver scopes, either, but I do still have several that are gloss; made before you could get matte)
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic