OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope for new rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 15:12
I agree with choosing the right size variable or using a fixed power. I believe the Burris SS 1x6x40, Sightron Big Sky 6x42 or 1.5x6x42 sll, Leupold FXlll 6x42 would be great new scopes. I personally use a Monarch 6x42 on my personal 7-08 and have never been under powered. Fixed scopes offers a brighter image in dusk and dawn hunting. I am also a Carolina Boy, so I know how you may be hunting. I would personally look on the Sample list at the Kahles Helia 6x42 for 499.00, it's a great scope an worth the money. 

Good luck,
Stubewan
Stubewan
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 15:14
straight 6x at 20yds???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 15:26
Stop the order!  Buy a Ruger, and use the extra money for a quality piece of glass.  I own both brands of guns and there is nothing a Browing can do that a Ruger can't other than jack shells a little smoother.  After 300 shots, there will be no difference in the 2 actions.  I actually prefer my Ruger's over my A-Bolts for everyday hunting conditions.  GL.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 15:31
                       UH OH!  The troops are gittin' rowdy!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 15:32
i dont! older rugers have terrible triggers and the abolts have a buttoned barrel, they will out shoot the rugers in any caliber, i have a ruger m77 in a .280 and had another one in a 7-08 while they worked they werent great, the brownings were great. i prefer the detachable clip to a hinged floor plate, brownings have better wood too, so i will disagree with you there, i have two rugers and two brownings, i would take the browning.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 15:45
Pyro,

I guess we will agree to disagree................I will agree that the wood is better on a Browning gun and it does have a smoother action out of the box, but I dont use rifles with wood stocks and IMO, a Ruger MK77 is the best rifle for the $$.  My Rugers have better triggers than my A-Bolts and all my guns are cut to 2.5 by the same smith......If the man is not open to changing rifle choice that is fine by me, just offering options.  I getting ready to buy the same cartridge rifle he his and really leaning to a Remington 700 so that I can build off of it in the future.  Not an option for him, as the money will be the same or more, but IMO, if you can't kill a deer @ 10-200 yards with a Ruger and quality glass, then its time to take up fishingWink.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 15:51
yeah i too would tak a 700 over either of those, i have a cheapo buckmaster scope on my ruger and it worked good enough to kill a deer for my wifes cousin who hadnt ever shot my rifle before, granted it was inside of 100yds but it died right there, one thing about the brownings i dont like is there safety
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 15:51
Sorry for not replying sooner but we just had a power outage for about an hour or so. Wind is blowing heavy here all day, and must have taken down a power line.
Great ideas from everyone here. I am writing down the different models and makes that everyone has been mentioning to me. I have a problem when it comes to the Ruger. I have had the Ruger M-77 in .243 and did not care for it at all.
I even mounted a Leupold on top that cost me as much as the rifle did at the time. Sold both.
I have my Browning BAR and my Browning Citori for skeet that I absolutely love!
I am looking forward to the new X-Bolt. Never had one nor have I had the A-Bolt, but looking forward to owning one when the X-Bolt comes this way.
I think the 6X may be a bit stout for my close cover shots of 20 or 30 yards. I think for fixed power, I would go as high as a 4X and that would be it.
I do like the other suggestions you mention here. I will be going to the Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh State Fairgrounds the first week of March and hope that there will be some dealers there that will let me look through some of the models you listed.
I am taking notes here!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 16:01
if you like your bar and your citori im sure you will like the abolt, take a hard look at zeiss scopes
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 16:01
Frank, honestly, for your budget I'd put a Leupld on top of the new gun.  I used them for years and for what you are wanting to spend, I think that Leupold will be your best option.  I have a VX-III 3.5-10-50mm that I thought I had sold on Ebay but the buyer has not paid.  If interested send me a PM.  It is pretty much mint with the exception of a pin size spot on the eye ring.  It may be too much scope for your taste, but as one other poster stated, why limit yourself with that gun?  GL.
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 16:16
I am not opposed to looking at any other rifles at all. I have not paid anything on this rifle yet. My dealer said he will call me when the X-Bolt became available to him so I can place my order.
I am totally open on any rifle at this point as well as the scope. I have had different calibers from .243, .308, .270, .30-06, and .30-30. I have never had the 7mm-08 and thought it would be something fun to hunt with. I know everyone here understands the need for something different once in a while. A reason for another gun and scope I guess you could say.
The Zeiss that was suggested I am assuming is the Conquest. I do not know anything about them, but do know many speak highly of them. hat is another that is added to the list.
Not too sure how I feel about the Leupolds. Had the one on my Ruger M-77 .243 and did not see a lot of difference in the optics, but I am no pro with the scope qualities. I am not new to hunting, Been doing it since 13 and am now 56, but am somewhat new to picking the higher quality of the scopes. I feel that an informed person is one that is always willing to learn and listen.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 16:19
conquest is what im talking about correct, 7-08 is a good choice
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 16:23
pyro6999,
Which Conquest are you suggesting as far as the power levels go?
I am looking at them now on the web site.
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 16:25
Can you explain what is meant by the "2nd plane"?
crimsontide View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimsontide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 16:41
Originally posted by frankb frankb wrote:

I am not opposed to looking at any other rifles at all. I have not paid anything on this rifle yet. My dealer said he will call me when the X-Bolt became available to him so I can place my order.
I am totally open on any rifle at this point as well as the scope. I have had different calibers from .243, .308, .270, .30-06, and .30-30. I have never had the 7mm-08 and thought it would be something fun to hunt with. I know everyone here understands the need for something different once in a while. A reason for another gun and scope I guess you could say.
The Zeiss that was suggested I am assuming is the Conquest. I do not know anything about them, but do know many speak highly of them. hat is another that is added to the list.
Not too sure how I feel about the Leupolds. Had the one on my Ruger M-77 .243 and did not see a lot of difference in the optics, but I am no pro with the scope qualities. I am not new to hunting, Been doing it since 13 and am now 56, but am somewhat new to picking the higher quality of the scopes. I feel that an informed person is one that is always willing to learn and listen.

7mm-08 is an excellent caliber. It should serve you well.
Crimsontide
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 17:30
I cannot recommend the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 enough! This is a GREAT scope, you will not be dissapointed!        Bricat
fmullegun View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmullegun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 17:44
whats the deal with the crazy lines on the new Browning rifles?

seems kinda euro.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 17:48
IOR 4x ~360
Zeiss 4x~460
Zeiss 3x9x40~400
Zeiss 1.8x5 ~400

The 1.8v and fixed 4x Zeiss would be my picks.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 17:53
frankb

I had suggested Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 over the 2.5-8X32.  Just a little more light gathering with the 40 mm at dusk and dawn.

There have been many improvements in the X Bolt over the A Bolt, not only in ther trigger, but also the safety, which should answer questions about those items in previous posts.

As far as calibre, your choice is excellent.  If you examine ballistics tables in conjunction with the amount of free recoil in different calibres, you will find that the 7mm 08 offers very lttle perceived free recoil compared to the the velocity and energy it delivers.  That is why it is such a good choice.  
MOJO
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 17:54
The 4X is the scope I keep gravitating towards. Just need to pick the make and model.
Is there any benefits choosing a 2.5?? over a 3?? with all things being equal?
I see there is a .5 difference, but is that all?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic