OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope for new rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 18:04
You need not sell me on the 7mm-08. I have been reading until my eyes want to fall out. I think it is the ideal caliber for what I want. I am not one for having a closed mind when others want to offer advise or their experiences and knowledge. Even at the age of 56, I enjoy learning, especially something I love so much and that is shooting and hunting.
The new Browning X-bolt seems to have the changes from the A-Bolt that everyone has been wanting and Browning answered it.
In my case,  choosing a proper scope is not all that cut and dry.
As I have explained before, I hunt close cover as well as an occasional 100 to 150 yard shot. But, those longer shots are not as common as my close cover shots. I can easily take what I call a close cover shot that can stretch out to about 60 or 70 yards and still be close cover. My land is heavily wooded with Southern Pines. All the under growth has been removed, or is still in process of being removed. An ongoing project of mine that is now 7 years old and still going.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 18:20
Originally posted by frankb frankb wrote:

The 4X is the scope I keep gravitating towards. Just need to pick the make and model.
Is there any benefits choosing a 2.5?? over a 3?? with all things being equal?
I see there is a .5 difference, but is that all?

Frank,

Look at a couple of things... The 7-08 is not a pounder, so you do not need alot of eye relief.  At the back end of the scope things like field of view and eye relief get determined.  You should make that work for you... Since you have close shots try and get as wide a field of view as possible.  Field of view and eye relief are regulated by the same elements... As one goes up the other goes down.  You know, know that you want a wide field of view and shorter eye relief.  You also want good low light performace.  Sound like Zeiss to me. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 18:22
frankb:

I hunt in a area of mature red pine and white pine, next to heavy cover which is a bedding area.  My shots are usually around 70 yards or less.  I started out many years ago with a 4 power scope, and graduated to a Bushnell Scopechief 2.5-8X32, then a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8X36.  I usually keep my scope on about 4.5 power, but there have been many occasions that I was darn glad that I had the extra magnification, and sometimes wished that I had even more.  It's nice to have it when you need it.  Any still hunting is done at lowest magnification.   
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 18:35

pyro6999,
Which Conquest are you suggesting as far as the power levels go?
I am looking at them now on the web site.
2.5x8 conquest
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 18:36

Can you explain what is meant by the "2nd plane"?

maybe this will explain it and save on some typing

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 18:44
All great ideas. Again, I am writing and making notes.
When using the Swift 2-7X40, I would keep the scope set on either the 2 or right at 4X.
When I used the Nikon 4X, there was no thinking involved. It was what it was.
Sure, there were times I wish I could have had more power, but that was to watch the deer as they came across the woodlines. I now carry my small 8X bino's that are very compact. That solved the problem of trying to use a loaded weapon for a spotting scope which I was never comfortable doing any way but I knew what the back drop was behind the area I was spotting. Now I just go for the bino's.
The Zeiss Conquest 4X seems to be a very nice scope. I do want to look through it.
Here is a real stupid question. Understand that I am not trying to go cheap by asking this question.
Between the Zeiss and Nikon Monarch in same 4 power, is the optics that much different?
Looking at the scopes in the store never does the scope any justice. The sports shop I go to always tells me to drag their scopes outside and take my time with them. They even have different areas set with the range finders so guys like me can judge with the actual distances that we hunt.
I took my range finder with me one day just to see if anyone was trying to pull my leg. The ranges they gave me for the different points of reference was spot on.
I want to go back to the sport shop on Tuesday (closed monday) and take a good look at the Zeiss and the Kahles, although the Kahles might be a bit above what I want to spend for my needs. I don't mind spending the extra, but is it really worth the extra money for what I want to use it for! Like they say; Get the right scope for the right job. That is what I am trying to do. If it called for getting a cheap scope, that is what I would have done. But I would like to have some quality glass with the new Browning.
Same goes for my choice of caliber. I love the .30-06, but feel it to be over kill for the short ranges I hunt so I use the .308 instead. And now adding the 7mm-08.
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 19:00
pyro6999,
Thanks for that post.
I guess the ffp stands for first plane and sfp stands for second plane. If this is the case, then the fsp is the one I would be looking for for my needs if going with the fixed 4 X.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 19:12
if you wanna spend the extra to get a kahles, i would do that, if you compare the conquest to the nikon, you would notice the biggest differences at last light, and you may see more with a kahles yet, some of our members will say the zeiss and the kahles are really close and others will say the kahles is way better, if you go zeiss or kahles you will be happy either way
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 19:19
Thanks to everyone for the efforts.
I hope to be able to eyeball both the scopes on Tuesday morning. That is the only way I will be able to make up my mind.
There is no way I want to put cheap glass on this new rifle. As I stated before, if the situation called for cheap, I would do it. But how can you possibly mount a coke bottle on a nice new Browning X-Bolt and be happy!!
I hope to let everyone know how it all turns out soon.
Frank
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 19:27
thats just it we can give you our opinions but ultimately you gotta let your eyes tell you who makes a better scope.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Treestand56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treestand56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 20:39
Frankb

I absolutely love my Conquest. I don't think that would be a bad choice. A decent 3x9 will give you plenty of range and still give you a great picture for those close shots.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 23:09

The 4X is the scope I keep gravitating towards. Just need to pick the make and model.
Is there any benefits choosing a 2.5?? over a 3?? with all things being equal?
I see there is a .5 difference, but is that all?

NO....... you should get more field of view.... but you will need to verify that for the particular scopes you are considering.  The wider FOV will be very handy on those really close shots.... like the 20 yarder!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 23:17

I have my Browning BAR and my Browning Citori for skeet that I absolutely love!
I am looking forward to the new X-Bolt. Never had one nor have I had the A-Bolt, but looking forward to owning one when the X-Bolt comes this way.

I know we've only just met, but I love you already Wink.  Love my Brownings!  What caliber in the BAR and which version of Citori do you have?  I have 2 BAR's  30-06 & .243.  I just got a Kahles CL 3-10X50 for the -06.  I have the Lightning Feather in 12 guage.  If I had it to do over, that gun is too light for a 12 gauge...... it kicks like a mule!  I also have a Gold in 12 gauge and recently added a Gold in 20 gauge as well!  Oh%20Yea%20Baby
take em!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 00:22
I AM SO GLAD I WENT TO THE RANGE TODAY, THEN OVER TO A FRIENDS AND THEN HOME BY 10PM PDT!!!!...............................I missed all the fun!!!!!!!!!!............Well Frank! You have alot to consider!..............I have 3 guns to clean............Nite Nite!!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 06:12
I would choose between these popular brands.......conquest or conquest or maybe a conquest. The reticle will work better in low light than its similar counterparts. The optics will really look better to your eye than similar priced competition. You have several to choose from that will work well......2.5x8x32 - 4x - 3x9x40, all will work for you but with a 7mm-08 (one of my fav's) I would look at the 3x9x40 as an all purpose scope that will work both near and far. Be sure and look thru a zeiss before you choose.......all it takes is one good long look. A 3x9x40 4200 elite would be my second choice, reticle is not as good though.....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 07:31
Tip69,
I have the Browning BAR Safari in .308 that I absolutely love. The wood is beautiful, as is the handling of the rifle. Shooting the .308 reminds me of the .243 I used to have in a bolt action. Very mild.
The 12 gauge skeet gun is a Browning Citori XS Sporting with 30" barrels. It swings nicely as the birds come out of the house.
I recently sold my Browning Gold semi-auto 12 gauge to help pay for the Citori that took a bite out of me, but I had to have the Citori after holding it for only an hour in the gun store!
Now I cannot wait to get my hands on that X-Bolt!
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 07:41
You guys got me convinced now to get the Zeiss. When I get all excited, it usually means it is going to cost me money.Yippee
I like a fixed power, but also like the ability to change if needed.
I will have to look at the two different models fixed and variable at my gun shop. If he does not have them this week, I will have to wait until the first week of March when I go to the Dixie Deer Classic at the Raleigh State Fairgrounds here in NC.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 08:23
Let us know what you decide and by all means......... post a pic!
take em!
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 08:27
I will be sure to let you guys know. It's the least I can do after all the advise and time given to me on here.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 08:37
thats why we make the big bucks!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic