OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 243 varmit scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage 243 varmit scope
    Posted: February/14/2008 at 23:17
ok folks as we all know its income tax return time yippie ..

now ive got a Savage 243  and  im gonna try to start hunting yotes and  hogs. 

well i got my eye on the bushy  3200 elite  fire fly  but im afraid to spend this much money. because i dont get to go out all the time  and hunt or shoot . an scared that id have just  about 200 bucks setting there.  ive seen couple of other scopes  bit lower  price. that i might be intrsted in  like the trophy series and the  banner series. most ive ever spent on a scope was like 110 an it was the bsa sweet 17 scope an it sets on my 17 and is a good scope for  what i use it for. now   as much as i go out which isnt much   im thinkin   200 might be  a bit much. any suggestons  at all whould be great  
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 23:20
the rifle i got is savage 110 243 an its got that crappy  simmons scope on it i dont like it  very much at all. sorry forgot to add this 
samspade View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 04:35
$200 is not much for a new scope but you can buy a decent used fixed 6 or 8x on e-b-a-y from the 1960-70s made by one of the (then) top names like Weaver, Lyman or Bausch & Lomb. They will be superior to the low end Russian and Chinese junk available in your price range. If you plan to hunt in the rainforest they are not as waterproof as newer scopes but optically they work just fine. Hunted with everything from a Weaver 330 to the latest Schmidt & Benders and would not hesitate to go afield with a late K series Weaver, Lyman All Weather or BalVar.
One Shot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 07:28
Check out Sightron SII 1.5-6x42 I got mine for $199.99
one shot one kill
One Shot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 07:58
You will need good rings and base the ones that came with your rifle will be junk Leupold std. will be good , My son has a savage 110 243 and it shoots .50 inch groups all day . I did a trigger job good mounts and rings and put a IOR scope on it 6x.  
one shot one kill
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:01
SWFA is still showing Nikon Monarch 4X40 for $99.95 and 2-7X32 for $179.95!  These would be excellent!
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:21
Originally posted by samspade samspade wrote:

$200 is not much for a new scope but you can buy a decent used fixed 6 or 8x on e-b-a-y from the 1960-70s made by one of the (then) top names like Weaver, Lyman or Bausch & Lomb. They will be superior to the low end Russian and Chinese junk available in your price range. If you plan to hunt in the rainforest they are not as waterproof as newer scopes but optically they work just fine. Hunted with everything from a Weaver 330 to the latest Schmidt & Benders and would not hesitate to go afield with a late K series Weaver, Lyman All Weather or BalVar.

this is terrible advice! why in the hell would you want to use a fixed power scope especially a 6x or an 8x if you are hunting coyotes?? coyotes are sneaky creatures, they can sneak up on you easily especially if you hunt alone, i wouldnt recommend a fixed powered scope for coyote hunting at all, shooting a coyote at 8 yds on 8x would suck stick to something like the 1.5x6 or a 2.5x10 or a 3x9 4x14 is getting into the questionable range, but will probably work i wouldnt go for anything higher than a 4x on the low end though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:23
i hunt in west texas  abilene area   theres tree lines fields   brush etc...  anyone use the     bushy trophy series or the  dusk till dawn?
and  yes i agree  there will have to be a new base an rings  the ones on it are junk. right along with that scope    thats factory on it.    

i was lookin at the pricing on the elite 3200 and  figured it up on the site here    its like 229 after shipping and taxes are added.  im just afraid if i do buy it and not hunt is much as i do. that i will feel i have wasted   that  much money 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:25
it would be a waste if you spent $1500 and never used it, but for $200 just getting out there a couple of times and having success with out any malfunctions is worth it!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:44
when i first strated out  lookin  back before christmas i had found this scope.
then i  strated looking more  all over the net  and in stores here localy. and  the local academy had the Elite 3200 3x9x50   firefly for like 249. well i looked through it and loved it an found the  3x9x40 here with the flashlight. was gonna buy it then   i had to use the money for something major that happned to the pick up. so ive got my taxes back and  starting to look again  

ive also looked through  the bushnell banner   series  scopes one for like 130  it didnt seem bad  at all.   we got our selfs osme land here an spotlight for them yotes  i dont know if i really want a lighted retcle or not    or should i get one.   i think im driving my self batty tryin to figure out what to do lol 

i know i dont want to spend  no 500 or 1500  cause i dont use it that much  and i couldnt afford it any how. i also realize ill need better rings and mounts  for the rifle cause the ones that are factory are junk. so there is more money hmm  on the scope thing though   not sure what to do  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:48
i have a trophy on my 22-250, and its a pretty nice scope for $100 mine is only a 3x9 but i think for coyotes its good enough quality to work for that. the banner or the legend series are nice too and cheaper than the 3200
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:59
ive shot a 30-06 with the  trophy on it very nice  looked through some in the stores as well. they seem to be real clear  i noticed the lower priced elite without the firefly  wasnt badly priced eaither. still a hard decision to make lol   

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 10:00
well if you want to buy a scope that will last you a long time buy the non fire fly 3200 i have a 4200 elite and its a very nice scope, the 3200 is a nice scope as well.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 10:21
+1 on the Trophy - have use one for a few years now, very reasonable cost & clear optics.  Mine is a 1.75x5
God save the Empire!
One Shot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 11:23
The old saying you get what you pay for is true
one shot one kill
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 11:37
Agree generally but the Trophy seems to be a very good bargain scope from Bushnell
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 11:43
i do as well! especially since he seems apprensive about spending a ton.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 12:27
The decision to spend your hard earned money is never easy, but when you do decide get the best you can for your money.You will be getting a quality product that will serve you well and make you a happy hunter with the confidence of having good equipment. It easy for me to tell you GO FOR IT...I Have, and yes I have gotten the buyer remorse feeling but it too will pass. Your getting your moneys worth.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 13:50
well i bought the bushnell trophy  3x9x40 its got circle x reticle. i walekd out the door with it for 114 after tax
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 13:51
and how do you feel? is it what you wanted?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic